woofers

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
When I get my stereo-only system in the future, I want something that has plenty of low end and doesn't require a subwoofer. I'd also like to avoid a pair of speakers that are wider than the Grand Canyon (sorry SDA folk). Sadly, it seems most companies, are into this whole 6.5" woofer thing. That's just too wimpy. The idea of a passive woofer doesn't sit well with me either. Not that I have any concrete facts or reasoning here, but it just seems inferior.

I've looked around and found some nice speakers with dual 8" woofers. That seems somewhat reasonable, but the frequency response specs on such speakers is usually somewhere in the mid-30Hz. range (though they sound pretty good). That's disappointing. There doesn't seem to be many speakers with 10" woofers (or dual 10") for some reason. That may be the ideal configuration to keep the width down but not sacrifice too much low end extension.

I really don't know where I'm going with this post, so I think I'll end it here. Give me some opinions, feedback, and insight. Simple. right?

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited July 2001
    ive seen a couple of infinity kappa 8's on ebay that sounds like something you would be looking for.

scott
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    ... so here it is, take this, OPINION, yeah! And this, FEEDBACK, right back at you! And have a face full of INSIGHT!

Hows that? I just gave you what you asked for. How'd you like it?

Ok, ok, There are plenty of speakers out there that can deliver quality, deep bass, (the large SDAs are among them) but it doesn't mean the lowest octave on a lot of these can't be improved upon with the use of a quality sub. It doesn't mean you NEED a sub to enjoy all of these speakers. Not at all. However, truly good, deep, full range speakers of which you speak, usually DON'T come cheap.
    If you haven't found anything to your liking in the circles you're traveling in (and I guess you've covered all the Polk series?) then check out this link.

www.legacy-audio.com

Here, you can buy deep reaching, number one quality speakers and you'll see you don't have to settle for little wimpy driver based speakers if you don't want to.
    Also: If you don't want to go the price of new speakers, ask about their used ones. They have a trade up program and a lot of their customers use it. If you call them, ask for Troy Caldwell, and tell him I sent you.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    ....you forgot to mention how 'proud' they are of these speakers......price-wise....

I have never had the chance to listen to them, yet at least...but I think they are but a dream, for my wallet.

Aaron, don't know what price range you are looking in, but some good top-to-bottom speakers I have enjoyed are some of the 800 series offerings from B&W, and the 3-way designs from Thiel.

A good budget buy is the AR302/303 from accessories4less.com.
    Outstanding 3-way design, clean, tight, deep bass. I think the best bang-for-buck music speaker out there right now. If you want em' though, better hurry, they are closeout. I think they have a few 302's left...($249 a pair for black, $319 for cherry).

AR302 - Black

When you say a 'passive woofer' doesn't sit well, are we talking a 'passive radiator?' (as seen for ex in the SDA line)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Bob,
    I'm pretty confident that pair of Legacy Whispers would put me on my butt in a heartbeat. Geez! They are imposing beasts, though definitely out of my price range. The Focus looks like a nice speaker as well, but again out of my price range.

Russ,
    Let me admit this up front: B&W speakers make me horny. That's just all there is to it. Ever since I listened to the Nautilus 802's I've been in love. They just sound retardedly good, not to mention they're drop dead gorgeous. Let me also admit that I'm a sucker for a good-looking speaker. Regarding the "passive woofer", I did mean passive radiator.

Realize that I'm purely speculating for the future at this point. I figure I'd like to get a pair of speakers in the $2-3k range within 2 years or so, and then maybe sometime in the distant future get something like the Nautilus 802. I'm just trying to get a little educated on what's out there at this point. I suppose I could page through my Stereophiles, but 95% of those full-range speakers cost well over $5k.

Aaron
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Those AR 302's are a friggin' steal. I have had about 8 people order those on my recommendation, every one a happy camper.
    The 303's, they have one pair left, and they are both left speakers (not mirror image), which is EXACTLY what you would have gotten, had you bought Ar-3a's a long time ago. Sveral people also ordered the 303's, and they are delighted as well.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    once again, I have to jump in telling aobut the great cc deal. throught the internet, the polk rt3000p's are like $800 each. they are on close out or something. still, a very good deal since they used to be like 1500 ea. be sure to get both pieces though.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Now there's some good advice. The powered towers you've always wanted Aaron, only $1,600 the pair. Buy the AR's. You won't end up asking questions about lights that do or don't work, you'll be getting an outstanding pair of loudpeakers at LESS than half their MSRP, and you can spend the $1,300 you save on cds, amps, or therapy.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Jeff, you've been reading the forum for awhile. You should know that I loathe powered towers. However, I have more respect for the RT3000's than any of the other models, and yes, that is a pretty darn good deal. You see, I want a REASON to buy a huge momma amplifier!

Aaron
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    I was only bringing up Legacy to give you on example of what's out there, (after all, I do read audio mags) I knew others would jump on the band-wagon and give their ideas too.
    However, you certainly don't have to go five grand plus for the Legacy Focus's (to say nothing of the Whispers) to get an excellent full range speaker from them. And as I said, you can get good deals on excellent condition, used models they have too.

I was also guessing that if you were serious about building a really good system, you were prepared to invest a bit in your speakers, which are probably the single most important part of the system.

I must add, even though I love my 3000s on my HT, I wouldn't consider them for a serious HS. What does make them really good, for "powered towers", is they really aren't your normal run of the mill PT. At least in my eyes. To me, when I think of a PT, I picture one enclosure. I think the fact the 3000s are two separate enclosures, or speakers, helps their performance.
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    The idea of a passive woofer doesn't sit well with me
    I guess I assumed you meant you wanted power towers. My bad. George, I'm not sure if the internet is still offering them @ that price but I know the stores are. just ask for them out of the locatio "4407" it's the "direct ship warehouse" If they give you trouble tell them 2 call me at store # 3345. If your serious, you'd better act fast. You can return them up to thirty days after the purchase but you can only buy them while they last...
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited July 2001
    Aaron I would strongly recomend the Von Schweikert V-10s at their modest price :) and ability to go to 10Hz. How could you go wrong! Their weight, 1 ton+, might be a problem otherwise I see no reason to go for it. :p
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Bob:
    I totally agree with your assessment of the RT3000p not being your run of the mill tower. Seperate enclosures like the SRT are the only way to go. If I had to have a powered tower, that would be on my list.

Chris,
    V-10, huh? Right.....if their VR-7 cost $17k, then I don't even want to know what the V-10 (VR-10?) costs.

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited July 2001
    Aaron
    Just kiding, obviously. Yeah I forgot the "R" and they are ‘if you have to ask you can't afford them’ type of speakers. Titanium drivers throughout etc. It would be sweet but I can't imagine paying that much for speakers, with out the amps or any other equipment. Lots of zeros.
    VMPS makes some good speakers IMO worth checking out. I know they are heavey into ribbons and make some good subs. The specs on their speakers are good in the low end. The price is actually afordable.
    Chris
    Chris :)