Amp Choices

gguess321
gguess321 Posts: 14
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was wondering which amp i should put on a sub. On Crutchfield there are a Alpine MRD-M501, Infinity Reference 1210a, Kicker KX600.1, MTX Thunder801D, and a Rockford Fosgate Punch P6001. All of them are priced at $499. WHich do yall think would be the best bet. Heres the link
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-G8ptb2bgZAY/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=130&s=0&cc=01&avf=N&search= Thanks.
Post edited by gguess321 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    For me it would be a toss up between the Alpine and the MTX. The MTX is going to be built a lot stronger and put out a lot more power than its rated at, not to mention being near indestructible.

The Alpine is great too. They are very clean, capable amps and I like them a lot even though they are overpriced a great deal.

I dont like Infinity speakers so Im sure their amps probably aint that wonderful either.

Kicker is a damn fine amp too. Its not as powerful as the MTX nor is it built as well but its on par with the Alpine.

After typing all this Ive decided to give the nod to the MTX. Tons of power (rated at 400x2 but I bet its more like 475x2 at least), bullet proof reliability and not everyone has one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    my vote is the kicker...but dont get screwed by crutchfield...go to www.cardomain.com and look there
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • gguess321
    gguess321 Posts: 14
    edited July 2004
    Before I made this thread, i was leaning more towards Rockford Fosgate. Are they not good as the others?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Absolutely. The new RF stuff is very good. RF, MTX and Kicker are competition level equipment and they will all serve you well. But personally I like MTX better because they are built like tanks and are powerhouses.

I just bought a Crossfire amp and love it. Crossfire are also comp level, in fact they are cleaning up in SPL competitions with world records in the 170+ db range so theyre doing something right.

Anyways, as long as the amp is from a quality manufactuer then the only option is which you think looks better, has the features you want and is the right price. Performance wise, they will all be excellent. The Alpine will not sound better than the Kicker, MTX, RF or a Crossfire or vice versa. Some may be more powerful or have more headroom or lower distortion (although all will be below audible levels) but other than that the performance will be about the same.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    if it was their new power series, id get it over the others...put its the punch and i think the others aside for maybe the alpine will do you better
    either way, theyre all good brands, personally id take the kicker though
    and thats not biased at all seeing as i have 4 rockford amps in my truck right now;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it