Mm12

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Has anybody experience on your MM12's the wires coming out of the spider broken off, creating an open. Maybe they did not break in on time. Polk recomends 20 -30hrs of break in time.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Options
    cody (exalted512) had something like that happen with an mm6 midbass... polk should replace it if you had it installed by an authorized dealer (or something like that...)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2004
    Options
    how can polk keep taking broken subs back? for example, they've replaced 6 of cody's subs, all broken due to over-powering... dont most manufacturers only replace defective subs?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    Options
    only 4...50 watts more is not overpowering...and its not like the amps i was using werent recommended by polk anyway
    and no, manufacturers replace blown speakers as well...as long as its not like a screw driver hole or something...
    i mean...polk doesnt have a 3 yr warranty because they think the sub will turn defective in 3 yrs...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Should I buy a Polk MM12, I have heard many stories about is being blown. I'm thinking of getting two MM12's and a 1001BD Rockford amp. If mine happens to blow, will Polk replace it? Also is it going to be heart pounding bass that gives you a bloody nose and, ear deafening sound below 40Hz? The $180 offer at sounddomain looks good. Well because About 10 days ago I ordered two infinity 12" references buy one get one free, today I called SD tech support and they said mine was the first one to go out of stock, that if I bought it a few minutes earlier I would have gotten the last one. Anyways I was wondering if these MM12 are good. oh yea, I listen to bass with a lot of continous bass 45 hz and below.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Options
    i had the exact same setup
    (bd1000 with mm124s)
    they get pretty damn loud...it would be a nice setup, just break them in as appropiate
    if they blow, return em straight to polk and theyll send you new ones...and they have a 3yr warranty
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    Options
    also keep in mind, as Cody, i think, mentioned many posts ago, that we only tent to hear the rants and problems about them here, cause we are all here to help, and where else would one go to post flaws. If everyone that got one of these subs and had it work perfectly for 3 years posted, we'd have to make a "Polk Praises" section to the forums.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • BassAce
    BassAce Posts: 12
    edited July 2004
    Options
    So your saying that in the event that the subwoofer may blow, that I would simply send it straight directly to Polk Audio (not Sounddomain) and they would exchange it. Is Polk Audio going to pay for the shipping? Does anyone know the average time it takes to get it replaced? Also, I just registered.
  • neomagus00
    edited July 2004
    Options
    i really don't think you have to worry about it right now... if it should blow, which is unlikely, you'll have no problems... just call polk and you'll work it out, they're great there

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Options
    you pay shipping there...they pay shipping back
    once it gets to polk it takes about 4-5 days at polk...the rest of the time is shipping time
    if you ship it next day or 2-day or 3-day polk will match it
    -Cody
  • BassAce
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Is Polk planning to offer a DVC model of the momo's? I know ever since they been out they only had a change of cone design. I'd think DVC would be good for connecting one mm12 to one class D amplifier, or two to a one ohm amp. Would DVC increase or decrease inductance?
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Options
    There are Momo DVCs available now :)
    DVC would decrease inductance since the VCs will be in parallel. To find the inductance of a system, just use the same math as resistors.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • BassAce
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I downloaded the MM12 instruction manual. It shows brackets under the enclosure that prevent it from sliding around. Could you mount the MM12 enclosure Horizontaly on a piece of plywood or MDF or particle board, so that the woofers are firing downwards. Would the brackets be too weak or will the screws come out if I do this?