Enclosures for MMC6500 woofers?

RRRoamer
RRRoamer Posts: 4
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have decided it is time to replace the speakers in my beat up pickup. I will be getting the MMC6500s. The look good and sound good...

The question I have is would it be worth building a set of fiberglas enclosures for the woofers? I wouldn't mind boosting the bass a bit... (I need to upgrade the subs in my truck too...). Anyone have any ideas on how much volume the woofers would need in a sealed enclosure to work their best?

Thanks for the help!

--RRRoamer
Post edited by RRRoamer on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    im guessing around... 0.3?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by RRRoamer
    They look good and sound good...
    and this is why the momo name is attached to polk - it does indeed sell speakers...

yeah, i vote ~0.3 ft^3 too... smaller for higher powerhandling, bigger for lower extension...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    We never test enclosures with our coax and component drivers. They are built to work in infinate baffle (free air). Therefore, I would think that the bigger the enclosure, the better. It would probably be like 3 ft³.
  • RRRoamer
    edited July 2004
    Kim,

Thanks for the info! If I am reading this correctly, it is telling me that I will get a bit higher base in the .3 enclosure (3-4db) vs. free air (the 1.3 enclosure), BUT there is a 33% increase in cone extension to get it. Is this a decent summary, or am I smoking something this morning???

If you did the tests, then maybe you can directly answer this question: which enclosure (.3 or free air) sounds better? What would you recommend?

Thanks for all the info!

--RRRoamer
  • RRRoamer
    edited July 2004
    It's done. They are installed. I didn't go with any type of enclsure, just free air. The stock mounting points are nice and high in the door and they were a perfect fit for the MMC6500s. I DID replace the stock (and very much dead) vapor barrior with a nice, custom fit layer of dynamat instead.

I was surprised how much that little bit of sound deadening material decreased the interior noise at highway speeds. Very nice. I'm looking to replace my carpet soon too, and I REALLY think there will be a layer of dynamat underneith the new carpet as well.

Oh, and the new speakers sound good. Very good. I can definitely say this is the best my truck has sounded since I had it (11 years...). I am very happy with how clean the system is and the sound stage. I think it will only sound better when the new amp arrives (My old Kenwood amp is definitely not up to the job...) and it will DEFINITELY sound better when I get the MM124s fitted...

Thanks for the advice gents. It was appreciated!

--RRRoamer
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    dont go with dynamat, go with www.secondskinaudio.com
    cheaper, stickers better, works better
    email the guy there...his name is Ant...tell him you were sent from the car audio forums and hell give you a nice discount;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Personally I like Tsunami's Silencer. Its a lot cheaper than Dynamat too and works just as good.

I go to Circuit City and grab one of their speaker kits for $13 which is 2 12"x12" sheets. Then Ill coat the door panel or door skin little by little.

I only do this cause Im too cheap to shell out the 75 bones for an entire door kit. Plus this gives me something to do every month or so when Im wanting to fiddle with my system. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    Kim & Josh - thanx for the info, i've been looking into something similar for my mm6's...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs