Burning DVDs on the PC

exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, I recently got a new PC a month or two ago
its a Dell Dimension XPS
SWEET computer
anyway...about 2 weeksago I tried to test out the DVD burner with a few of my brother's DVD's that i wanted
so i go to wally world and pick up 5 dvd-rw's
try to burn Pirates of the Carribean
it gives me an error
so I call up Dell and explain my situation...they proceed to tell me that my burner doesnt support the dvd-rw format
it can only do dvd "+" rw formats
im kind of mad...i had just opened 4 of the 5 individual wrappers around the dvd-rw's to make sure i didnt get a bunch of duds...
so i just wasted 12 bucks
lol
im cheap
go to best buy and pick up 25 DVD+RWs
come home...try burning again
it tells me i dont have enough space on my blank DVD
try ****...same thing
the blank DVDs are 120 minute videos
the movies are like...124 minutes...
so i can back to best buy to look and see if they have anything bigger than 120
nothing
so i tell the guy at best buy my problem...
now i know from my experience in car audio...best buy guys arent exactly the most knowledgeable people in the world
but this guy seemed to half-know what he was talking about
but all he pretty much told me was i needed to get some type of compression software that can be downloaded for free off the internet...
does anyone now what hes talking about?
if so...will this affect the sound quality/picture?
i tried looking at the individual files to take out the 'deleted scenes' or some of the extras but to no avail
so does anyone know what i should do?
i have Sonic DVD burning software and the burner is from Dell
thanks
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• coldrealms
    coldrealms Posts: 46
    edited July 2004
    Cody, you help me with car audio stuff, and I'll help you with PC stuff deal?
    Ok first this godownload dvdshrink it is free (if anywhere your getting it from tries to charge you flip your monitor the bird while browsing that site and move on). You can then us this simple lil gem of a program to make any sized DVD fit on your DVD-r or +r or +rw (BTW Dell is full of **** cause unless the drive is old it will do all three formats). Why this program is needed is cause DVD companies make thier discs usually about 4.9GB or more to twart casual reproduction (damn you DMCA!!!) No other FREE software will shrink the dvd while keeping the original menus (you can even kill the other audio tracks to save space and get that much better of a copy. From tehre you can use ANY DVD burning software (DVDshrink prefers nero but any will do) and copy over your video_ts and audio_ts folders that DVDshrink will make.
    Remember not all home drives will play burned DVD's, buy small packs of each kind and test them with a movie to see if your home player will work. Your PC will always work. Also if you have enough HDD space you can start backing up your own movies (and friends movies, blockbusters movies, your local **** shops movies, etc) to your computer using some other software you can keep great quality and get the file size down to about 1-1.2 gb Just ask if you want to know how to do that.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    http://www.allianceweb.sk/free-download/dvdshrink.php
    is that what youre talking about???
    thanks a lot!!
    -Cody
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2004
    DVD Shrink kicks donkey. Remove all the extras and foreign language crap to make for room for video. If the movie's not too long, you can still keep 100% of the video quality.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • beenthere
    beenthere Posts: 34
    edited July 2004
    Hopefully no one here is promoting illegal copying of DVD's as that would be inappropriate and foolhardy???
  • coldrealms
    edited July 2004
    Na we are simply getting cody ready for the eventual fall of the hugely misguided DMCA. Thats all, just prepping him for the future. Nothing wrong with being prepared hehehe.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by beenthere
    Hopefully no one here is promoting illegal copying of DVD's as that would be inappropriate and foolhardy???
    never...just making some back ups for my brother that im going to keep at my house for safe keeping;)
    -Cody
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    Okay...next question. I thought that once you had the compression software, you also needed an additional program to allow the computer to copy the copyright protected disc. Otherwise, you would get a message such as: "cannot write disc, copyright protected".
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2004
    for some disks, i know cds, not sure about dvds, if you run a black sharpie around the edge of the disk, it covers the copyright protection crap so the computer doesnt read that, and just burns it
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • coldrealms
    edited July 2004
    DVDShrink handles all the encryption junk for you. No need to marr the discs.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    burned and it wont play...
    this is becoming a PITA...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, this is kind of why I passed on the DVD burning option when I bought my Vaio. Too much trouble. Plus, when you consider that you can buy used DVDs for like $10 with all the menus and extra features, it aint worth it to me anyway.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    yeah well...after waiting on hold for 26 minutes Dell **** hung up on me
    NOW im pissed
    -Cody
  • beenthere
    beenthere Posts: 34
    edited July 2004
    Unfortunately that's pretty typical for Dell... :(
  • coldrealms
    edited July 2004
    Like I said not all players will play with all disc types or even brands (different color dye layers) Sometimes your home unit just plain will not ever play a burned dvd. Use your computer Dvd player software to test the disc. If it plays there then it's your home player spitting up the disc and not your burning method or computer.
  • coldrealms
    edited July 2004
    Oh and macleod DVD shrink keeps all menus and special features (or loses them as you see fit). Just so you know. :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2004
    Cody try using dvd decrypter b4 you use shrink works great
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2004
    Downloaded DVD Shrink and Nero, burned Kill Bill Vol.1 and it plays fine. I even played it in my car's DVD player. It took about an hour and a half to encode and burn it. I'm running a Dell Dimension 4550 (?).
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    dell is fuggin worthless
    i called them twice yesterday...talked one time for about 26 minutes and got hung up on...talked another for 46 minutes and got hung up on
    neither solved my problem
    i think its my software
    is nero free?
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    i dunno about your software, i like sonic... anyways, i dunno if you've been a victim of this, but dell outsources a lot of their tech support to india, so it's easier if you just keep calling until you get an american, they tend to function better... unfortunate, but true...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2004
    Yes, Nero is free. When the disk is getting encoded (on DVD Shrink), it will ask for a destination drive. Right above that it says something like "To burn directly to disk, you need to download Nero". The sentence is a link and it took me about 2 minutes to download.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    thanks...ill try it again sunday and see what happens
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2004
    I just found this thread and think I may like this DVDShrink stuff. Anyhow, I went to the link (http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html) that coldrealms posted. It says that I should click on Mirrors for DVDShrink 3.2 first. However, when I click on it, it takes me to a page that says it can't find the file.

Am I doin' somethin' wrong, or what?

Thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • coldrealms
    edited July 2004
    Version 3.2 isn't availiable till monday, you can download the 3.1.76 version now and use till tommarow.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2004
    oh, ok; thanks. I'll just wait
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    i still cant get mine to work
    damn it
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    There's always the possibility that your burner is crap... it happens, and isn't obvious until you try to burn.
    I have a CDRW that runs fine for like an hour, then crashes the IDE bus. I'd try to burn a DVD with data to see if the drive works at all, like put 2 gigs of music on one or something.. just to test it out.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.