Kim, I have a question about the MM2084DVC

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
It's rated at 200 watts RMS and 400 peak. Are those rating for the speaker overall or per voice coil?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Cool! That's a ballsy little 8 inch sub for ~$90 from SoundDomain.com!

• Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Well, I don't know if I am getting it yet.

It's for my friend's Jeep that he can't seem to decide on what the hell he wants. I'm not doing anything until he nails down what he wants, seriously.

If he does end up going this way, I gotta figure out how I'm gonna 'glas a center console box to house this wee beasty yet still retain a flip up and locking center console.

It's going to be powered by a Hifonics Nemesis NX750D in 2 Ohm mode. The specs are thus:

RMS Power: 175W x 1 @ 4 ohms
    Bridged RMS Power: 400W x 1 @ 2 ohms
    THD at Rated RMS Power: <0.08%
    Built-In Crossovers: LP
    Bass Boost: 0 - 18 dB
    Frequency Response: 10-400 Hz
    Channel Separation: >70 dB
    Signal to Noise Ratio: >96 dB
    Speaker Level Inputs: No
    Preamp Outputs: Yes

Which looks like it would be perfect for this sub running the voice coils in parallel for a 2 ohm load. Judging by how hard that MOMO sub in my girlfriend's car kicks on roughly 300 watts of power RMS, I'll bet this 8 inch sub is going to rock his Jeep pretty good. Especially in a sealed enclosure. It should dig deep into the frequency range. The full range are going to be, without a shadow of a doubt now because I decided this for him, the 4x6 inch MOMO plates upfront and the MMC525's in the overhead console with a couple of 1/2 inch MDF spacers to give me the depth I need for them. I'll have to paint the grilles black though. He wants stealth. The full range speakers will be powered by a Hifonics Warrior Eagle at about 50 watts per channel (4 channel) and the signal source will be a Kenwood eXcelon unit of yet undetermined trim level.

I'll probably take a bunch of pictures of it. Nobody seems to have a center console deal for a sub of any size for an '04 Wrangler. I'm going to see if I can't make a decent mold of this one and sell some custom boxes to people.

• subman32
    subman32 Posts: 27
    edited July 2004
    I did an install on my sisters jeep. We had a custom box made for 2 10" subwoofers. They fit perfectly behind the back seat and sound awesome. Is it soft top or hard top? Just lettin ya know there are other people out there who put systems in a jeep! Good luck on the center console!

Garry
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Hey Kim, send me a couple of the 8" DVCs and 4 of the 12" DVCs, and I'll tell you how they sound in my car :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by subman32
    I did an install on my sisters jeep. We had a custom box made for 2 10" subwoofers. They fit perfectly behind the back seat and sound awesome. Is it soft top or hard top? Just lettin ya know there are other people out there who put systems in a jeep! Good luck on the center console!

Garry

Ummm....thanks. I know other people put "systems in a jeep". I was given specific requirements to adhere to and dual 10 inch subs don't cut it. A single 8 in a custom box between the front seats or dual 8's in custom boxes to the left and right of the rear seats is what I'm looking for and no one has it.

You can see info here. http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20316

• subman32
    edited July 2004
    You don't have to buy seperate speakers for the back. Get a sound bar and it will take up NO space at all and save alot of money. You might also want to find a marine head unit. Because if he has a soft top there will be leaks, and I know water doesn't mix with electronics. And they are VERY easy to steal so I wouldn't blow too much on one unless if you have a detatchable face. For the fronts I would go with some 2-way speakers. They should be some 5 1/4". Cost and space isn't all you have to watch out for in a jeep. Does he ever plan on going off-road or anything? Hope I helped out the slightest bit.

Garry
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    will these work for you Jstas?
    attachment.php?s=&postid=1153492
    someone said they bought them in another forum from Tony from http://www.audiomidwest.com/
    i didnt think they made it into production but they did...and he said liked em

mounting depth is supposed to be no deeper than a AA battery
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by subman32
    You don't have to buy seperate speakers for the back. Get a sound bar and it will take up NO space at all and save alot of money. You might also want to find a marine head unit. Because if he has a soft top there will be leaks, and I know water doesn't mix with electronics. And they are VERY easy to steal so I wouldn't blow too much on one unless if you have a detatchable face. For the fronts I would go with some 2-way speakers. They should be some 5 1/4". Cost and space isn't all you have to watch out for in a jeep. Does he ever plan on going off-road or anything? Hope I helped out the slightest bit.

Garry

OK, incase you didn't notice my suck-**** attitude in the response to your first post, just stop because so far you have either offered inaccurate information or have been of no help whatsoever.

Number one, it already HAS a sound bar, stock. Where do you think the REAR speakers I am speaking of are already mounted?

Number two, the soft top does not leak. We recently had rains, torrential in nature, that caused massive flooding in the area and his soft top did not leak at all.

Number 3, 5.25 inch speakers in the front are out of the question because the vehicle is leased so modifications must be kept to a minimum.

Number 4, the speakers I have chosen for the front ARE 2 ways.

Number 5, unless he plans on going thorugh water more than 2 feet deep in any off-roading exploits he may pursue, electronic equipment is not in any danger. I highly doubt that he will do anything of the sort. I am usually with him when he goes off-roading and it's mostly for getting to a campsite or to a beach/boat launch to do some fishing.

Please, stop.

Cody, I can't get to that link you posted. I don't have an account on that website.

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    First of all experience plays a role here. Soft tops do leak eventually. The car is brand new so maybe not now but later. 2nd people do put 6x9's in the back. They are made to go in a box enclosed in leather that goes on the rod supporting the soft top from the side. 3rd, when the top is down and it just so happens to rain you're screwed if you do not have the side panels with you. Thats where the water comes in now. 4th, to break into a jeep you just unzip the windows from the outside, or they cut through it. Crap happens and i'm sorry about the info. Just trying to be nice and help. No need for the sour attitude, thanks.

Garry
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    that link isnt going to work either...
    its a blaukpunt(sp?) overdrive 10" sub
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    OK, incase you didn't notice my suck-**** attitude in the response to your first post, just stop because so far you have either offered inaccurate information or have been of no help whatsoever.

Number one, it already HAS a sound bar, stock. Where do you think the REAR speakers I am speaking of are already mounted?

Number two, the soft top does not leak. We recently had rains, torrential in nature, that caused massive flooding in the area and his soft top did not leak at all.

Number 3, 5.25 inch speakers in the front are out of the question because the vehicle is leased so modifications must be kept to a minimum.

Number 4, the speakers I have chosen for the front ARE 2 ways.

Number 5, unless he plans on going thorugh water more than 2 feet deep in any off-roading exploits he may pursue, electronic equipment is not in any danger. I highly doubt that he will do anything of the sort. I am usually with him when he goes off-roading and it's mostly for getting to a campsite or to a beach/boat launch to do some fishing.

Please, stop.

Cody, I can't get to that link you posted. I don't have an account on that website.

There's this stuff called Midol... it might aid you with your cramps, bloating, and general irritability.

1. Just because water doesn't get through doesn't mean there aren't leaks. This is why when you're checking for leaks in a box, use a piece of light paper or a tissue and watch for it to be blown.

2. There's a fairly easy way to get 5.25"s up front... kick panels. Just make sure you don't get resin on the car and don't use the original kick panel, and you're good to go.
    Brian Knauss
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    There's this stuff called Midol... it might aid you with your cramps, bloating, and general irritability.

1. Just because water doesn't get through doesn't mean there aren't leaks. This is why when you're checking for leaks in a box, use a piece of light paper or a tissue and watch for it to be blown.

2. There's a fairly easy way to get 5.25"s up front... kick panels. Just make sure you don't get resin on the car and don't use the original kick panel, and you're good to go.

Heh, now you're going to tell me I'm a mean internet man yet it's ok for you to throw insults at me.

Have you ever worked on a Jeep? There are no kick panels to work with. The 5.25" speaker everyone is talking about would be mounted behind the stock grilles in the dash in the modified 4x6" holes.

I don't build boxes that leak. The only Jeep I have ever seen with a leaky soft top was rolled and leaked at points where the sheetmetal was no longer straight. I'm not worried about a brand new Jeep leaking on any electronics at all.

subman32, I have much more experience with Jeeps than you know. You don't know me or my background. I'm not the idiot you or bknauss take me for so if either of you can offer me anything factual or even slightly helpful that hasn't already been discussed in previous posts then just stop.

Cody, Vinnie was talking to me about those a little while ago. They are a neat idea but I cannot find them anywhere. I'd like to listen to them before I plunk money down on them. It's a cool design though. I just wish Blaupunkt would fix thier dealer locator feature.

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    i didnt even knew they made it to production until about a week ago when i saw another thread on a chevy forum
    so even if you dont find some dealers...im not sure how many of em would have em in stock
    my friend has a 98 tj and eventually he wants to put some better speakers in it...ill probably recommend the blaukpunts if i can ever find em online...
    good luck
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    and if you remember, the next time you talk to Vince, remind him about the programs he was going to send me for my comp. please...i havent been able to get a hold of him
    thanks
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Heh, now you're going to tell me I'm a mean internet man yet it's ok for you to throw insults at me.

Have you ever worked on a Jeep? There are no kick panels to work with. The 5.25" speaker everyone is talking about would be mounted behind the stock grilles in the dash in the modified 4x6" holes.

I don't build boxes that leak. The only Jeep I have ever seen with a leaky soft top was rolled and leaked at points where the sheetmetal was no longer straight. I'm not worried about a brand new Jeep leaking on any electronics at all.

subman32, I have much more experience with Jeeps than you know. You don't know me or my background. I'm not the idiot you or bknauss take me for so if either of you can offer me anything factual or even slightly helpful that hasn't already been discussed in previous posts then just stop.

Cody, Vinnie was talking to me about those a little while ago. They are a neat idea but I cannot find them anywhere. I'd like to listen to them before I plunk money down on them. It's a cool design though. I just wish Blaupunkt would fix thier dealer locator feature.

Just for clarification, I wasn't calling you a mean internet man, I was saying you sound like a woman who is PMS-ing. I'll stop commenting on this situation now.
    Brian Knauss
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Eh, sooner or later everybody goes a few rounds with Jstas. Consider it an initiation! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    and if you remember, the next time you talk to Vince, remind him about the programs he was going to send me for my comp. please...i havent been able to get a hold of him
    thanks
    -Cody

He's been a rare bird lately. Last I saw him was Saturday and that was only for a few minutes.

• beenthere
    beenthere Posts: 34
    edited July 2004
    bknauss's point was NO ONE should HAVE to go a few rounds with someone on this forum just because that person continuously makes confrontational posts to virtually everyone here. If Jstas can't see the personal issues he has and the abusive nature of his posts, perhaps he should get off the forum and seek professional help. This ain't a slam, just an honest observation, shared by several other folks on this forum, not just me. There's a reason why Jstas is in the Polk Hall of Shame and why so many people in this forum have noted his abusive, offensive, crude, rude, demeanor. His personal attacks on people and foul language are unacceptable and inappropriate and barred from any public forums I've seen.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    well, even i have to step in and say something here... to begin with, no one's said anything about it, but he rarely starts anything. overreacts, perhaps, but doesn't start the argument. if you don't like the way he talks, there's a real easy way to stop the argument - don't hit reply...

he's one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum, and that matters way more than an irritable personality...

and yeah, mac was right, it is kinda a thing here to have a sparring match w/ jstas at some point :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    This is suppose to attract people to the forums, information is one thing, delivery is another. If a helpful, polite response is posted then anyone will listen. If not then they will leave right away. Selfishness is alot of people's problem. Post what will help, not what will anger people and run them off.

Garry
  • beenthere
    beenthere Posts: 34
    edited July 2004
    Sorry Neomagnus, but you are incorrect and here's proof:

My first post on this forum:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20342&highlight=Why+is+Sony

and other people's threads:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20416&highlight=Jstas

and here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18879&highlight=Jstas

and here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16799&highlight=Jstas

and pages more of the same insulting, uncivilized, abusive posts by Jstas.

Technical knowledge does not compensate for lack of civility. All forums prohibit the abusive type of posts Jstas continues to make even after he has been advised by numerous sources that his posts are unacceptable and inappropriate. No one is obligated to be subjected to Jstas's abuse to participate in this forum. Jstas is the one who is out of line, not the innocent people that are being subjected to his outbursts and abuse.

If Jstas talked this way in daily life, face-to-face, someone would give him a free ticket to intensive care for a few months. Maybe that would be a good thing as he could get mental health treatment while in the hospital, as it's sorely required in his case.
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    Oh cry me a frickin' river!

I don't care if you don't like me. I have no problem with new and different people coming here. If I have nothing to add to a post, I stay out of it but if I do, I READ the WHOLE thread to find out what it is about. If other links are referenced, I also visit them to get an idea of what is going on. After I have been informed of what is going on with the thread, THEN I respond.

All those who are complaining about me being a mean Internet man, did not do that.

bknauss, you stuck your nose into something that didn't need to go any farther. Then you told me you didn't want to be insulting but then you went ahead and did it anyway and somehow I'm supposed to be OK with that. I did not respond to you at all. You threw the first punch. Now you are pissy because I swung back. Get over it. If you don't want a confrontation, don't start one.

subman32, you opened your mouth and made comments and suggestions about me and the topic. The problem I have is that you did not even answer my question, which wasn't directed to you in the first place. You then proceeded to make suggestions to me that were already addressed in another thread that is less than a month old. Infact, I don't think it even left the first page. You also proceeded to give me suggestions in a thread that I did not solicit them in. On top of all that, you proceeded to speak to me like you had extensive experience with the subject matter but, by your responses, it is clear to me that you are far from an expert. Barring that, you proceeded to be even further insulting to me by ASSUMING that I did not have a plan, that I had not addressed your ideas and concerns previously with others and that I had no experience with the topic at hand. I responded in kind stating that this was the case and you proceeded to continue your statements and then told me that "other people put systems in a jeep" even after I said to stop. I even posted a thread where all of your concerns had been previously addressed and you STILL had to tell me what was up! You did not read any of my posts and ignored any other thread I posted on the subject. This thread alone was concerning a single sub question to Kim that Kim showed some interest in so I gave him some additional background behind the issue. Not once did I solicit extra opinions but I got them anyway. I am thankful for the help I recieved from Kim and Cody because they took the time to read my posts, understand my situation and answer my questions and offer insight. You didn't and if you can't take the time to understand my situation, which I have clearly posted here several times, then I can't take the time to consider your feelings in my responses to you. Read my post, comprehend the English I am writing on the forum and don't waste my time rehashing subjects that already were addressed and you won't have a problem with me.

beenthere, you are in the same boat as subman32. What gets me about you is that in your weenie, little petty crusade against me, you will use the search feature to dig up dirt on me. Yet you can't use the search feature to even look for the other posts about the subject. I don't care if you think I am abusive. I don't take kindly to people who waste my time and cannot give me the basic respect of reading and comprehending my posts. The simple answer was already posted by neomagnus. I'm not looking to be considered a god or the end-all-be-all of any forum. I don't wish to own anything. If I did, I have the means to make that happen myself. I don't need to hijack Polk Audio's forum. All I want from anyone is the courtesy of reading what I post and understanding it. I don't post it just to be pretty. I don't appreciate having to repeat myself in real life, it REALLY ticks me off when I have retype responses over and over again on a forum...especially in the same thread, where you can take all the time you want to read what I wrote. So if you have a problem with me, take it some place else because it's posts like this that drive people away. Oh and just incase you didn't see the other posts in the Hall of Shame, I'm not the only one there. If you are going to hold me standing up for myself against me then do yourself a favor and just stop interacting with me completely right now because I have no respect for you if you are going to codemn me for me. But if you are going to reference posts where I am responding to off-the-cuff comments from people posting here and insulting me and the rest of teh forum, including YOU then you need to check yourself. Aside from one or two people who feel the incessant need to apologize for me, most agree with me. Act like a jerk, you'll get treated like a jerk. Apologize for me all you want but I in no way endorse it. I am my own keeper, I don't need anyone to speak for me. That goes for basically anyone.

I will help anyone out who asks a legitimate question that I feel I am qualified to answer. I don't claim to know everything but I do know and understand a great deal about this hobby. My experience with things automotive is pretty expansive and car audio is only a fraction of that. I will do my best to try and help others understand and I will dispel myths and mis-information with impunity in the interests of protecting a "newb" to the hobby from falling into the traps that others seem to follow blindly just because it's "cool". I try to help people from making mistakes that I or someone I know fell into previously. It's called sharing experience. What you get from me on this forum is me in real life. I don't get "a free ticket to intensive care" like you think because face-to-face, other people are much more observant and respectful to me so these issues do not arrive. Again though, you are going to be a petty, ****, tough-guy behind the computer screen and tell me I need "mental health treatment". So in one thread, I have been treated like an idiot, called names and insulted, physically threatened and now told that I need mental health treatment because I decided not to take the BS lying down. But I'm the one driving away all the "n00bs", right?

If my behavior was so far out of line, the administration would have done something about it a while ago. If anyone thinks that I need my **** kicked, you are welcome to come and try. My information, like everyone elses, is freely available on the Internet, even more so than others in some cases. Come find me and give it a go. If you think I need "mental health treatment" how about you take some time out of your own miserable existence and talk to me to find out about me and my life. You might be surprised. But if you can't take any time for me in a simple forum thread, don't expect me to give you anything more either. If you think I should be removed from the forum, quit bitching about it here and petition the administration. If you succeed in getting me removed, good for you but it's your loss, not mine. I have other places I frequent for info, help and opinions and everyone here knows how to get a hold of me. If you want to continue to confront me and insult me then kindly take it to PM's or emails and quit clogging up the forums with this tripe.

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    im in the hall of shame too
    damn f*cktards from ED...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Im gonna come to Jstas' defense here.

That first thread, all he said was "Sony sucks so deal with it". He then preoceded to lay out his argument in quite a lot of detail. Didnt seem abusive to me at all and he made a good point.

The second thread was some dude coming in and TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND RUN ON SENTENCES and then went on to say "well my Polks suck so Ill never buy them again" so Jstas commenced with an attitude adjustment that was quite frankly the funniest post Ive seen on here!

The third post, he was coming to my aid. I posted my opinion on the Polk Momo speakers vs. Tweeters inventory and some head came on and said I was lying about this and that and was full of BS (Barbara Streisand) and was a real dick. So this is simply Jstas having my back and only responding to somebody being an ****.

As far as the last thread, read the initial post and youll see why this guy was just begging for an attitude adjustment. "Well you guys suck and dont know **** but Ill throw you a crumb and let you answer a question for me". Now tell me that you wouldnt have went off on this dude!

Does Jstat have an attitude? Yeah. So what? He knows his stuff and cracks me up all the time. So my advice is to ignore his manners and pay attention to what he is saying.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    if you dont like John, heres what you can do
    a) dont post here
    b) block him
    or
    c) just simply ignore him

Jstas said this:
    "OK, incase you didn't notice my suck-**** attitude in the response to your first post, just stop because so far you have either offered inaccurate information or have been of no help whatsoever. "

little thing i like to call honesty...how many of you think honesty is a great virtue in a man?
    *raises hand*

it was followed by this:
    "There's this stuff called Midol... it might aid you with your cramps, bloating, and general irritability. "
    this wasnt necessary
    you werent even in this conversation--it wasnt your business to intrude
    then, it looked like things were going to stop...John had stopped addressing the subject even though he was attacked after his last post
    but then:
    "bknauss's point was NO ONE should HAVE to go a few rounds with someone on this forum just because that person continuously makes confrontational posts to virtually everyone here. If Jstas can't see the personal issues he has and the abusive nature of his posts, perhaps he should get off the forum and seek professional help. This ain't a slam, just an honest observation, shared by several other folks on this forum, not just me. There's a reason why Jstas is in the Polk Hall of Shame and why so many people in this forum have noted his abusive, offensive, crude, rude, demeanor. His personal attacks on people and foul language are unacceptable and inappropriate and barred from any public forums I've seen."

do you really think this was going to improve the situation any better?
    i have an idea
    STFU and get over it
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    aahhh... it's so satisfying to see a valid argument intelligently laid out, with no room left for contradiction...

and mac stole my comments on the 'example threads' :D

oh, and to cody's comment - ::raises hand::
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited July 2004
    OT - John, are you on CAF or CarAudioTalk? Are your handles the same?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Jstas
    edited July 2004
    No, why, is there someone there with the same name?

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited July 2004
    No, I was just wondering cause those are the other two that I most frequently frequent :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2