Amp help

subman32
subman32 Posts: 27
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can I wire a 2000 watt amp and then wire a 800 watt amp up to a 2800 watt sub?? I mean 2000+800=2800 right? Will it work? Cause to me it just doesn't make sense......and I just want to make sure its safe too cause these subs aren't exactly cheap. thanks for anything
Post edited by subman32 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    no
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    So just 2 1400 watt 2 ohm amps should do the trick then right? Ran in a series? Cause thats the set up i've got planned.
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited July 2004
    Is it a DVC Sub? Then you would use one amp on each set of inputs. Just make sure the amp settings are the same. Or look into a 1ohm stable amp that can provide the power you need. Then Parallel the leads.
    Chris
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    what kind of sub do you have that handles 2800 watts?
    do you have an aftermarket alternator?
    if not...say bye bye to your current one...and your battery...and your wiring...
    -Cody
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    The system total is 8,400 watts. It's the SPLW15, three of these are what i'm gonna be running. Right now i'm just trying to purchase everything I need. I know i'm going to need a couple caps and everything. But time is one thing i'm not worrying about and definately something I am going to need. But I will most likely go with 2 1ohm amps per sub. Thanks for everything. Is there any kind of battery or alternator you recommend?
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    Oh yes it is a 1ohm DVC sub!
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    ok, to clarify things:
    number 1
    it is a 1400 watt rms sub
    number 2
    it has 2 1 ohm VCs

youre going to be running 4200 watts rms
    you cannot wire one of those subs to one ohm
    you can wire 2 subs to 1 ohm
    heres what i would do...
    i would get 3 amps
    each amp would do 1500 watts x 1 channel @ 2 ohms
    just wire the voice coils in series
    with that much power...i would get 3 1 farad capacitors
    this will help during peak bursts
    so instead of your voltage going up and down constantly, it will stay pretty even
    as far as batteries, youll need to go with a dual battery set up...just go to your local pep boys and pick up a couple of energizer maxx with 875 CCA
    as far as alternators go...theres only 2 brands i would trust
    one is ohio generators, the other is Iraggi Alternators
    Dominick Iraggi
    dominick@tds.net
    615-287-7991
    615-594-8965

do a search online for ohio generators and youll be able to find their web site
    youll see a lot of 'high output alternators' that do 300 amps or so
    but its a bunch of bull ****
    sure, you get 300 amps...but the only time you can get 300 amps is when your RPMs are in the red zone...
    you need to get an alternator that does at least 250 amps at 700 RPMs
    300 amps is probably what i would go with though...4200 watts is A LOT OF POWER
    if you skimp out on the alternator...you have a good chance of ruining your subs, the alternator, the battery, amps, and your wiring
    -Cody
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    Sorry bout that, but 2 2ohm amps is what i meant per sub. so one 2 ohm 1400 watt amp would work for one voice coil wouldn't it? or would the 1500 x 1 at 2ohm just be safer?? thanks for the info.

-Garry
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    if you did the 2 2ohm amps on each sub, you will have issues:
    1: too many amps, and
    2: the sub has 2 1-ohm coils. you would fry the amps.
    Best bet, go with what Cody rec's it's what I would rec.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    if you put 2 1400 watt amps on each sub you will blow them
    you would be playing them at twice their rated power
    they are not 2800 watt subs, they are 1400 watts...2800 is a peak number--which for your purposes, is irrelevant
    you need one 1500x1@2ohm per sub
    i say 1500 because its probably hard to find a 1400 watt amp
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited July 2004
    Correct me if I am wrong. The speaker he wants is a DVC. With 2 Ohms per coil or 1 Ohm per coil?
    Chris
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    DVC with two 1-ohm voice coils
    -Cody
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    But the 1500W amp per sub seems to be just robbing me of power. 1400W is the rms. But running a 1500W ran in series is only using half of the voice coils......because one is pushing and the other is pulling....remember series is what we're saying. If I am going to use one amp for a sub at PARALLEL i'm going to need a half ohm amp. Correct me if i'm wrong but each voice coil is 1400W max. So wiring up each voice coil to its potential but keeping the gain down should almost do the trick. Right? Sorry for coming off as a smart A but i'm just pushin to get this right.....THANKS!

Garry
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    1. Stop worry about this BS of needing an amp per voice coil. You're going to waste money just by getting two amps. Find *one* amp that does *1400Wrms* (or there's about) at *.5 ohm* or *2 ohms*

2. Are you going to compete? If not, scrap this entire idea. Unless you want to spend some MAJOR time deadening your vehicle, there's no point in this entire project. You would sound like **** and people would point and laugh.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by subman32
    But the 1500W amp per sub seems to be just robbing me of power. 1400W is the rms. But running a 1500W ran in series is only using half of the voice coils......because one is pushing and the other is pulling....remember series is what we're saying. If I am going to use one amp for a sub at PARALLEL i'm going to need a half ohm amp. Correct me if i'm wrong but each voice coil is 1400W max. So wiring up each voice coil to its potential but keeping the gain down should almost do the trick. Right? Sorry for coming off as a smart A but i'm just pushin to get this right.....THANKS!

Garry

-1400W at 2 ohms and 1400W at .5 ohms will always be 1400W. You won't be robbing it of power or anything like that.
    -Both coils together make the amp 1400Wrms. So its basically 700Wrms per coil.
    -You can either wire each coil up to an amp or find one amp that does 1400W at .5 ohms or 2 ohms. As said before the end result will be the same for the one amp, but you'll be paying more for two amps. Plus you'll be wasting space, and current, and probably other things.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    Ok so I need a 1400W @ 2ohm or .5 ohm, in series? Either way it's the same?? Or a 1400W rms is what I need in parallel correct? But these subs are 1400W rms and 2800W total power. So would the one 1400W rms amp be the better deal? Yes competition is definately in mind. This isn't some weekend project, i'm going to be blowing some major hours on this......that's something i'm willing to do. I just want to get this right so I don't blow extra hours wondering what amps to get when its installation time. Thanks.

Garry
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    if you wire the voice coils in series, you will produce a 2 ohm load
    if you wire the voice coils in parallel, you will produce a .5 ohm load
    i hope you realize how expensive this is going to be...
    im talking like..6k for everything youll need
    if you went with two of those subs, you could wire the vc's in series, then wire the subs in parallel...giving you a 1 ohm load...and you can just find one mac daddy amp that does 3000x1@1 ohm...save you a lot of money...
    -Cody
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    Ok Cody I think I got it figured here.........soooo one 1500W amp @ 2 ohm per sub ran in series is my best bet? Thanks

Garry
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    correct:)
    -Cody
  • subman32
    edited July 2004
    Ok THANKS EVERYONE for the replies. I finally got it figured out and set. Again thanks!!!!!

Garry