Q-forms

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Does anybody have q-form kick panels? I've heard about 'em not being too sturdy, but I think they'll work for me. What I want to know is how sturdy are the grills? Like, is somebody gonna step through my mid? And, if I get the MMC6500 will they fit? Can I use the MOMO grill? I hope so, 'cause I like it.

Any thoughts on teh kick-panels would be appreciated.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    The grills are as strong as anything I guess. They are set up to where you can use your own grills if you want to.

The MMC6500 will probably not fit. I know that the ones for my Ram wont hold anything bigger than a 6" so youre stuck with a 5.25 if you go with them. Maybe with some serious surgery you could get them to work.

As far as strudiness, they are lacking. As long as youre running moderate power and never crank them then they will be ok. However if youre wanting to run 75+ per channel and do spririted listening often then the doors would be a better place to mount them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2004
    Well, I am planning to use JL Audio's 300/2 or Polk/MOMOs C300.2, but I don't plan on ever crankin' 'em up. I'm just not accustomed to listenin' to music (or anything) loud.

What would be involved with some surgery? Would it be enough to just simply cut away the excess material and drill some holes for mounts? Could I then use the MOMO grill to cover it up and thus not have to do a good job with the surgerey?

Thanks!

Also, what's the deal on the sizes of speakers?! You said that yours won't hold but a 6" but then that you'd have to use a 5.25" speaker. The guy at Now Audio Video (now Tweeter) said something that in the US they rate things larger than they are. What's with that? I don't understand...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    The Q Forms will hold a 6" speaker at the max. That means a 6, 5.25, 4 or 3 " will work. Diamond Audio makes 6" speakers as do a couple other manufactuers.

Get the JL 300/2. Its a much, much better amp for the same price.

Dont get the Q Forms. With that much power they wont perform well.

If youre wanting kick panels youre pretty much gonna have to have em custom made. Talk to your local shop about pricing but its gonna be steep!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2004
    get your **** a set of glass kicks or go ahead of fab up some 1/2 " mdf or plywood ones, sealed if possible... and then carpet / vinyl / rubber them to match your vehicle, using some "fluffy ****" to pack in the "not to smooth" areas of your woodworking. it's the "lazy man's way" of doing it, not going to look as good as glass, but if u can't do glass and dont want to pay 700 for a set to be made, it's worth doing it that way as long as you dont drive a BMW or something.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge