how to set up my 2ch system

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
As most of you well know, I picked up a pair of Monitor 10A's recently, and since then I have been trying to figure out the best way to set up my system.

I would still like to use my Monitor 5jr's, but I also want to do what sounds best. Being that they are from the same family, they are very well timbre matched. The problem that I have is that if I run both off of my JVC amp, it steps the RMS wattage down to 80wpc, 4 channels driven, versus 100wpc, 2 channels driven. This obviously softens up the speakers when both sets of speakers are on. I kinda like the sound like that, but I'm afraid that I'm going to blow either the amp or the tweeters.

So far, I haven't heard any bad distortion (or any at all), but I also don't know what exactly to listen for.

So I guess I'm asking if I should go pure 2 channel, and forget about the 5jr's for right now (maybe save them for a later rig... I already have a basement rig), and just let the 10A's do their thing. I'm leaning in that direction, just so that I'm less likely to be making toast in my room anytime soon.

Any suggestions are welcome. You can view my setup in the SS.

nadams

edit- PS- if you freak when you see my SS.... relax. The bookcase is gone now :-P
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2004
    If your JVC is stable down to 4ohms, you should be ok but if it was me, I'd just run a pair of speakers. 2 pairs of 8ohms speakers in parallel will lower the nominal impedance down to 4 ohms.

Maurice
  • nadams
    edited July 2004
    My receiver is only stable to 8ohm. However, I believe you may be misreading my post. My receiver has "a" and "b" speaker outputs. Having them both on reduces the output wattage to 80wpc, but I do not belive that it lowers the resistance on those channels. I don't think that the channels are in parallel. This amp would choke big time on a 4 ohm load.

The other thing I've been thinking about are the speaker stands. More importantly, the fact that I don't have any. I believe that these speakers should be on stands, since they were sold with them. Anyone have the dimensions of the original stands so that I can make myself a pair?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2004
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • nadams
    edited July 2004
    Repeat... the search button is your _friend_.

Thanks, dcarlson. I just thought of another way. My neighbor has a pair of monitor 10b's... I can just check his out for the building materials. I like the idea of making them as high as _I_ want them, not as high as Polk wants them. Just seems more righter, don't it?
    Ludicrous gibs!