Testify...Part II

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well I went to Tweeter again today and they finally have the MMC6500 in. So I went out and grabbed my trusty Dream Theater test CD, fired up the JL Audio 300/4 for 75 super clean watts per channel and gave a listen.

Man I fell in love! These things are awesome! They are a good bit better than the MM6 even!! When first fired up they were great but maybe a tinge too bright. Then I scoped the new x-over. Its not the same one as the MM6, its a lot better looking and is bi-ampable. Plus the tweeter attenuation is a little flicker switch on the side. I turned it to -6 DB and these things rocked. They blew away everything on the soundboard except for the $1300 MB Quart Qs. The Qs are just awesome.

The MBQ Reference were pretty awesome too but the Polks were just "sweeter" sounding.

JLs XR had more midbass but couldnt hold a candle.

As usual, the Boston Acoustics got smoked.

I liked them almost as much as the $430 Focals I want and these things are $300!

Im now 99% sure that these will be the speakers I upgrade to in the upcoming months. Ill wait til Sound Domain gets them and puts them on sale for like $250 or so.

If you have a nearby Tweeter and listen to heavy metal, do yourself a huge favor and go listen.

Oh yeah, there was a point that the Polks outdid the MB Quart Qs on; detail! Hell yeah! On the last track on the Train of Though CD, "In the Name of God", they are singing old gosple hymns in the background. These are very faint and hard to pick out. When I played this part, the Polks picked it up and reproduced it clearer and more detailed than anything else in the store!

Good on ya, Polk!

disclaimer:
I am not a profesional tester nor an expert in car audio or speaker construction and this was in no way a fair, scientific comparison and I only used one type of music, heavy metal, to listen to them with so take with grain of salt.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• denis87
    denis87 Posts: 86
    edited July 2004
    aren't those coaxils?
    www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    holy crap...i didnt even know polk had a new component set...
    dont worry denis87, i thought the same thing, but these are in fact comps.
    the mmc650 are coaxials
    thank you polk for making an all black speaker...it looks sweet!!
    too bad i wont be hearing these things for a while...the only Polk/MOMO dealer in town doesnt have a sound board anymore...
    no tweeter close by either...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Youre missing out, dude! These things are awesome. Now there is really nothing that can compete with Polk Audio under $400!

The salesman said the tweeter is the same as the one thats on the coax. I wouldve thought Polk wouldve offered a better one although this one sounds just dandy, especially at -6 db.

And major kudos for making not only a better looking x-over but also one that is bi-ampable!!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    that is odd they would use the same tweeter...i dunno if that one is true or not...
    josh? kim? thom?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • denis87
    denis87 Posts: 86
    edited July 2004
    yeah they have a nice classic look to them. to bad i didn't know about these and waited for them but i know the mm6's are still good.
    www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Oh yeah, no need to worry. The MM6 is a damn fine speaker and will serve you well for years to come.

I would like some info from the Polk guys about the tweeter and stuff. Im sold on the speakers but I would like to know if the tweet is a little better. I know the x-over is light years beyond the x-over for the coax but am curious about the rest.

• MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Got off early today so went by Tweeter again for some listening.

As usual the MMC6500's were as good or better than pretty much everything in there although they did have a set of Boston Pro comps ($600) that were new and they sounded damn good! I was really impressed.

After a while I wanted to crank up some of the subs so I went and got a sales dude and we closed the door and cranked up a bad **** double bass part of my Liquid Tension test CD and the Momo subs were great. They hit much harder than the MB Quart subs and even outperformed the W3's (Cody will love that! :rolleyes: ) We were playing off a JL 500/1.

Then I saw the 13W7. Man this thing slammed! It was moving more air than a jet engine! Then we clicked over to the JL 1000/1 and this thing turned into a monster. My shirt was visibly moving from the air movement of the double bass track! The W7 wasnt quite as violent as an H2 but it was pretty damn impressive!

To tell ya the truth, it kind of made me want to rip my back seats out and go buy a couple Crossfire VR1000D's and a pair of Orion 12" H2's! :D