keeps putin amp on protect

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
my polk keeps puttin amp on protect and also one voice coil does not work. is there any thing i can do besides a new speaker
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Thats not a lot of info there pal but Ill give it a shot.

What kind of speaker is it?

What kind of amp are you running?

What configuration is your set up?

You say that one of the voice coils isnt working? Polk doesnt make a dual voice coil speaker so your speakers only have one coil.

First you need to determine if it is truly the speaker that is the culprit. Find another speaker somewhere. Doesnt matter what kind, 6x9, 6.5, as long as its a 4 ohm car speaker. Hook it up and see if it works. If it puts the amp in protect too then your Polks are innocent which is what Im willing to bet is the case anyway.

Your amp can go into protect if you have your gain set too high, if you have it running at too low an impedance (2 ohm mono or 1 ohm stereo) if your RCAs are stripped somewhere and making contact, ground or power wire issues. There is a lot that could be wrong.

Do the test to first determine if the Polk is faulty then get back with us and we'll help ya further.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    some of the older Polk subs were DVC
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    ummmm....I knew that! :p

Actually I didnt. Why wont they make em again?!?!?

Anyways, I dont think its the speaker (Im assuming its a sub) that is causing the protect to engage. Maybe if it is a DVC then can one VC short out and cause the protection? I dunno.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    theyre in the process of making them for the DB subs i think
    i dunno why they stopped making em
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    db DVCs have been made... maybe they haven't shipped yet. I could have sworn I saw them online somewhere not too long ago.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    Ok, Ill give it a shot too...
    They only amp I know of that labels that little LED as protect is a Kicker DX series... Perhaps it blew up like mine did. Mine started off by giving a loud weeeuuuuoooo..POP sound then went into protect. It was the crossover, or so I thought, until I replaced it with a passthrough that worked for a while, then the entire input stage finnaly fried. I hope you have good news about the sub though, that's the most important part, old DB's rule!
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.