$10,000 to spend, what would you buy?

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited July 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Which piece would you buy? Only select one.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I'd get a full blown Klipsch RF-7 series speakers or something from their Heratige line like the Klipschorn, Belle or La Scala.

Maurice
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Speakers are where the personality is at and have the most profound effect on the final sound.

Shoot with $10K one could put together a killer two channel rig. Wire and all.

P.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2004
    Options
    at this point, if I had ten grand....I'd put it towards adding on a dedicated 2ch room to my house.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Other.

Pay off some debt.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I'd have to say with 10 grand....

1) I'd get vinyl siding put on my Mom's house, I hate wood siding
    2) I'd get my Mom's house hooked up with new shingles (sp)
    3) I'd get the dog lot repaired from the ice storm we had a few years back
    4) Get a totally new deck and trash the old one...

That would do it for me

Have to be outside your mind to buy one piece of gear for 10 grand, IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I went with the "other" too. I need some yard equipment and some work on the house.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Geesh. I'm th eonly one that selected a source component.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2004
    Options
    I would:

Get a flamethrower. $1,000? $2,000?

Go on a monthlong rum or ether binge. $1,000?

Try to get a ride in the Batmobile. $2,000?

That's $5,000 gone maybe already.

I would save $5,000 in case I could someday pay to have a couple hours of wild, unbridled, piglike yet sensitive sex with Jenny McCarthy. But I don't think so.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • radkrisdoc
    radkrisdoc Posts: 78
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Save up more so I can make a down payment for a mortgage. IMO there is no investment better than real estate. If I have all the real estate that I would want, what would I do then? Buy another house and rent it out! With the rent money I'd buy
    1. An amplifier which does not loose its value in 6 months (upgraditis hits that often ya know)
    2. A home theatre system with a projector, nice seats, a bar included
    3. Save up for school. A masters or a PhD on the way to audio nirvana still sounds good to me even though its not good music at 100W RMS 20 Hz to 20KHz and 0.00001% THD till graduation.
    4. If I save up more, buy another house. The circle of life is complete.......Its 3 in the morning and Im tired, sorry if it didnt make sense to y'all
    :D

On a serious note, why dont you to take a look at Theta digital's Casablanca. (No affil, would like to know if anyone has opinions on it too.)

http://www.thetadigital.com/product/cb3/prod-info.htm
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Gotta agree with kris. Real estate. Buy buildings, rent them out. A guy could buy a lot of gear doing that.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Maybe i'd go overseas and bring back some Super high end equipment at a fraction of the prices in the U.S.A for the same products..or maybe set up a meticulous recording studio....ans i also like the JENNY McARTHY idea..!!!
    or maybe Peg Bundy....
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited July 2004
    Options
    Easy, Linn Unidisc 2.2

I think its around 11k CDN