Mmc6500&mmc690 Too High And Bright :(

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
THESE SPEAKERS ARE WAY TOO BRIGHT ANY SUGGESTION TO BALANCE OUT HIGHS AND LOWS W/OUT CHAGING THE CROSSOVER SETTINGS FROM 0DB to-3db OR EVEN-6db. I HAVE A C400.4 AMP AND NOTHING I DO ON THE AMP AND OR ON THE DECK...THEY ARE WAY TOO BRIGHT...THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE FEEDBACKS.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2004
    TRY TURNING YOUR TREBLE DOWN!!!!!!!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    AND YOUR CAPS LOCK...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    EVERYTHING IS AT FLAT i HAVE A KENWOOD DECK AND THEY HAVE A OPTION ON THE SETTINGS CALLED VOLUME OFFSET WHERE YOU CAN BRING DOWN EVERYTHING AND THATS AT THE LOWEST ITS STILL DOING IT I THINK I WILL GET A EQ CONTROLLER FROM AUDIO CONTROL... I DONT KNOW I'M GOING INTO THE TRUNK AND PLAY WITH THE AMPS LITTLE MORE....THIS WAS MY FIRST AND LOOK SLIKE LAST SHOT WITH POLKS, KINDA DISAPPOINTENT.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2004
    WELL THAT'S TOO BAD! YOU SEEMED LIKE AN OK GUY. CAPS LOCK AND BROKEN ENGLISH AND ALL! THANKS FOR ELABORATING ON YOUR PROBLEM MORE SPECIFICALLY SO WE COULD ALL GIVE YOU BETTER HELP! YOU'RE AN OK GUY!

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE **** ON THE WAY OUT.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by BROCK
    EVERYTHING IS AT FLAT i HAVE A KENWOOD DECK AND THEY HAVE A OPTION ON THE SETTINGS CALLED VOLUME OFFSET WHERE YOU CAN BRING DOWN EVERYTHING AND THATS AT THE LOWEST ITS STILL DOING IT I THINK I WILL GET A EQ CONTROLLER FROM AUDIO CONTROL... I DONT KNOW I'M GOING INTO THE TRUNK AND PLAY WITH THE AMPS LITTLE MORE....THIS WAS MY FIRST AND LOOK SLIKE LAST SHOT WITH POLKS, KINDA DISAPPOINTENT.

THAT'S FUNNY... TRY OUT SOME INFINITY'S AND SEE HOW BRIGHT THOSE THINGS ARE. I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE BRIGHTNESS OF SILK TWEETS BEFORE... POLK OR NOT. MAYBE YOUR TWEETS ARE FAR TOO CLOSE TO YOU AS COMPARED TO THE WOOFERS. REMEMBER THAT THE CLOSER THE SOUND IS, THE LOUDER ITS GOING TO BE.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    okay, the caps lock was annoying me too... anyways...

there's a reason there's the -3 and -6 options on the tweets... if you read the manual, you'll see that they say to start at -6 and work your way up if necessary. if you cant or wont access the crossovers, then turn the high/treble option down somewhat; if your kenwood is an excelon series, it should have a somewhat more advanced equalizer, in which case you would set the center frequency to around 12.5kHz, and turn it down a couple clicks. if you had read the manual for your kenwood, you would know that the volume offset function is intended to eliminate the volume jumps when switching sources; that is, you set your cd's to say "-3" and then when you switch to the radio there isn't any volume drop, and vice-versa.

since it's apparent that you didnt read the manuals, please do that - they print them for a reason, and you'll learn something from them, i guarantee it. oh, and the amp settings won't do anything, unless you unpress the pre-eq button, that will help a teensy bit (as well as remove a significant amount of noise).

and please take off caps lock, that's the biggest reason that everyone's being bitchy; except jstas, he's just like this sometimes :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    Neo thank you and sorry to all about caps lock being on.

As far as -3 and -6 settings go that takes away from the natural sound of the music, thats whay I keep them at 0. I do know what the volume offset does and it was a semi-quick fix for me.

thank you for the advice(s) on the pre eq button I will try that later on.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Jstas
    WELL THAT'S TOO BAD! YOU SEEMED LIKE AN OK GUY. CAPS LOCK AND BROKEN ENGLISH AND ALL! THANKS FOR ELABORATING ON YOUR PROBLEM MORE SPECIFICALLY SO WE COULD ALL GIVE YOU BETTER HELP! YOU'RE AN OK GUY!

THANKS FOR STOPPING BY, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE **** ON THE WAY OUT.

LOLOL!! LMFAO!!! ROFLMAO!!! :D

I for one am glad to see youre back Jstas. Frankly it was getting a little boring here without ya partner. Now if we could only get PBD to visit more often!!

LOLOL!! You crack me up bro! Thats the best laugh Ive had in a while!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Oh, Im not sure if your x-overs will have an attenuator. I have the Momo 6x9s and they dont have this function.

And to the quote that attenuating tweeters take from the natural sound; that isnt quite true.

Higher frequencies take a lot less power to reproduce them so if you have 100 watts going in to a x-over, its going to split equally and if you have 50 going to the mid and 50 to the tweeter, the tweeter is going to be too bright. When I biamped my 6x9s off my 4 channel amp, the tweeters were way to dominant. I tuned the gain down a smidge and now there right in the sweet spot.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    actually, not all crossovers split them 50-50
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Correct. The Diamond Audio x-over splits the power 33/66%.

However if left alone, the power will split equally.

I was just using that as an example of how equal power to a mid and tweet wont necessarily sound good. ;)

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2004
    The -3 and -6 options are there for a reason. So if you were to buy Quarts you'd leave them on "0" as well, even though you can cut up to 9 db? I think the Quarts sound great but I never installed a set with the tweets flat. Most of the installs we do (using MM6's or MMC6500's) we don't use the passives at all but when we do we end up using them it's often with the -3 or -6 down switch.