volume decrease w/ accessory use

rodney
rodney Posts: 91
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
i recently installed my db 6.5 components, and since i hooked up the new 4 channel amp, sometimes when i hit the brakes, and when i roll down the windows the volume drops and then comes back. obviously it is caused by the windows, lights, etc, drawing power, but how can i stop this? im running about 700w rms. thanks.
alpine cda-9857
polk db6500
polk ex369
polk/momo mm104
profile ap1040
kenwood kac-7251
Post edited by rodney on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    I wouldnt think it would be your alternator, 700 rms isnt enough of a load to overpower one unless its in a Honda Civic or its going out.

I would say make sure you have a good, solid ground and that you are using the same guage wire for the ground that you are using for the power wire.

Second you should look at the battery. Is it getting up in years? If so it may not be able to keep up with the current demand.

Check these things then get back to us. You may need a cap but I doub it. If you had 1700 watts then maybe, but 700 should be handled easily by your stock charging system.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    Also if your battery has a shorted or dead cell, it will show up as 10volts (shorted) or 12v, then really low when an accessory is used (dying) -- go to a shop and have them do a test.. If your battery is like this even a great alternator will be busy trying to charge the battery and not fuel your amperage needs :)
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.