bass stopped coming out of speakers

fpl111
fpl111 Posts: 10
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
recently one of my speakers stoppped playing low frequencies. it is a db690. today the other one stoppped playing the bass too. could this be a problem with the amp or is it with the speakers? the speakers work but only play the higher frequencies. thnks please reply
Post edited by fpl111 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Hmm, thats odd. I dont think its the speakers cause Ive never heard of one that stopped playing just certain frequencies. It is my understanding that if a speaker dies, it quits playing all frequencies.

If you have access to another amp you should hook it up and see if that cures it. If not then bypass the midrange x-over and run it straight off the amp.

If you get the same results with a different amp and bypassing the x-over than I guess itll have to be your speakers.

You should call also Polk's customer sevice. They are a lot more knowledgable than me and can give you more definitive answers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited July 2004
    what is your amp? does it have a crossover module or built in? My kicker module fried a while ago, then the module fried the amp.. Still can't get an answer from kicker, not even a reply... but check and try no crossover settings on the amp if yuou have any.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    when you say higher frequencies, how high are we talking? cymbals only, or voice and guitar and all that too? cause if it's only the serious treble (you may be able to discern some voice if this is the case too), you may have blown the mid/bass, and not the tweeters...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • fpl111
    edited July 2004
    i hear the voices i just dont hear any bass whatsoever
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    but there IS sound coming out of the 6x9 woofer and not just the tweeter correct??
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Dude this is wierd. This morning as I was driving to work enjoying Savatage's latest album, all of a sudden my left mid quit playing! I figured it was a wire that had slipped off or that maybe something was touching the speaker wire on my amp (its a 4 channel and I have my Momo 6x9 bi-amped) and shorted out. But when I got in my truck after work and started it up the mid worked. I got it home and pulled it and checked the wiring and its all nice and snug so I dont know what the hell happened!

Its too freaky that 2 sets of Polk 6x9s are having the same problem. If mine die Im gonna be real pissed off and disappionted in Polk Audio!

But anyway, if you hear the voices but no bass it sounds like the mid has crapped out and youre only hearing the tweeter. Thats exactly what mine sounded like.

Im still leaning to the theory that maybe a strand of wire from the negative channel on the amp strayed over to the positive channel or something like that. I just hop my Polks dont die, cause not only do I love em but I aint got the scratch to get new speakers!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    those 6x9s cant be that old...theyve only been out for a lil bit...if you cant figure it out send em back
    and macleod...if youre disappointed in one speaker blowing...try 8...
    6 subs
    2 mids
    the leads have come off both my mids...repaired the first one about a month ago...going to repair the other today...it stopped working yesterday
    im only running 225 watts to them...geeze:D
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, Ive been hearing a lot about Polk speakers blowing here lately. Its got me concerned that their Momo venture was at the expense of build quality. Ive never blown a speaker in my life! I swear it! (of course Ive never used 225 per channel either :p ) and if this one fries with a mere 80 watts Im gonna have a hard time recommending Polks anymore!

Im probably jumping the gun though. Until they actually stop working Im not going to assume its something simple and not jump to the conclusion that they are shoddy work.

• fpl111
    edited July 2004
    nothing from woofer, when i push the woofer from beneath with my finger it seems to work for as long as my finger is on it but once i take it off it stops and i only hear the voice and treble no bass whatsoever.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    oo
    then you did the exact same thing ive done...the lead has come off the terminal
    press the wire that goes from the ground terminal of the speaker to the cone
    if it starts working, then its the ground thats loose
    if it doesnt start working, do the same thing with the positive
    after you found out which one it is...take a little of the black coating of the terminal and scrape a little of the insulation off the wire and solder it together...should work
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Ah-ha!

I remember you talking about doing this a few months ago but had forgotten all about it. I need to write this down so I wont forget it if mine fritz out again. :D

• fpl111
    edited July 2004
    Im kinda inexperienced so you think you can explain it a little more in depth? what black coating is it and what would i be soldering together? thanks
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    hold on...ill upload pics
    -Cody
  • fpl111
    edited July 2004
    oh thanks I really appreciate it
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    got the pics...uploading them to sounddomain now...mind you my phone line connects at a whopping 28.8...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    531337_43_full.jpg
    ok...in that pic you can see the terminal
    the head of the bolt is black...its the black coating they put on them to prevent rust and stuff
    if yours is like that...get a crescent wrench and some pliers
    put the crescent on the top and the pliers below the piece that sticks out in the middle(best i can explain--the speaker is painted silver...the terminal is chrome...'the part that sticks out in the middle' is the silver like you can see in the pic)
    anyway...unscew that
    the shiny silver thing behind the terminal i will call a spade...
    dunno the technical term for it
    but anyway...that is where Polk originally soldered the speaker wire to
    531337_44_full.jpg
    theres a back view...kinda blurry
    you need to try and scrape the black coating off the spade and you will find a small hole
    the speaker wire from the terminal to the cone is what goes in that little hole
    pull it apart...make sure theres some bare speaker wire in put it in the hole, solder it, and voila

if by chance some of the metal from the soldering iron touches your speaker...it will burn through it and say bye-bye
    so...if its under warranty...send it back to Polk and let them deal
    -Cody