Scion ... Yippie! (a short review)

LittleCar_w/12s
LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well after much talk and hassle, Stef and I have decided to get her a new car (I guess as a wedding present). We went out and picked out a car, interestingly enough she liked the idea of one of the new Scion cars for a little over 13,000. She decided to get a indigo-blue Xa (the wagon-looking one... the Xb is the boxey thing, and the Tc is the car)

Here's my short review:
I have to say, I am entirely impressed with the line of cars. Not only are they fully customizeable, but the drivetrain is made (and the car) by Toyota, so they have a superior warranty. The interior is HUGE for a small vehicle. The dash is a little odd, only having two main dials in the center (wtf?!) But is has a double-din radio, which seems to be of good value, and the built in system has 5.25's in the doors already, as well as tweeters in the upper door thingy. The whole car is automatic/electric everything. It's like everything for a little price, and with my wife being 4'11", she sits up high enough in it to drive lol. The only shortfall is the 1.5Litre (I think) engine that tries very hard to race about, but considering they get about 100HP from that, and STILL manage 28-38 MPG economy it's absolutely amazing.

For the time being, I guess we will go with the cd player in it, she might get the one with the in-dash 6disk player (amazing what you can fit in a double DIN slot eh??) I am not sure what kind of sound will go in the back of it, but we'll see. Maybe ya'll could reccomend whether we should get the factory upgrade to the 6-disk or save the couple hundred and use it for a different D.DIN unit? I can post the model of the 6-disk player if you need to compare it, otherwise I am sure it's on http://www.scion.com/ somwhere.

I sure hope she gets it, she deserves a good car with a good warranty. I can no longer let her drive mine, it's almost dangerous, You have to be a brute to turn or stop the thing right now...

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
Post edited by LittleCar_w/12s on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    if you put it in your dash, thats just one more thing thats visible to possible thieves...
    congrats on the new car
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    For the money, those things are amazing. Little stuff like the electric trunk opener is definitely a plus. Yea, the power blows, but what are you going to do for $13k?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    if you put it in your dash, thats just one more thing thats visible to possible thieves...
    congrats on the new car
    -Cody

No way dude, they'll be...

...wait for it...

...Blinded by Scions!

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    Scion, scion, everywhere a scion...........

Well, I hope she likes it, it is here in the parking lot as I type. She went with the regular 1cd player, but I think it'll do just fine.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Eh, I dont like changers that much anyway. Im switching CDs every 10 minutes it seems and its too much trouble to fiddle with a changer. I will probably always use a single disc player.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    Actually the wierd part is that this thing takes all six into the main slot, just one after the other.... nothing different than the one-disk, but it just lets you put in 6. I don't think she's going to keep it though.

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    it being the scion?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited July 2004
    Congrats on the car. I was strongly considering a tC until my dad threw his maxima at me.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    ever thought about doing a nice lifted truck?
    itd be different...
    and most importantly...
    get away from all these ricer cars...
    theres no replacement for displacement:D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    except less weight... for reference see the 2005 lotus elise... only 190 horsepower, but a 0-60 of 4.4 seconds and a quartermile of 13.2 at 104 mph... all cause it's less than a ton (barely over 2000 pounds when the driver wrenches his way into it...)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    ever thought about doing a nice lifted truck?
    itd be different...
    and most importantly...
    get away from all these ricer cars...
    theres no replacement for displacement:D
    -Cody

Well they have done that Harley Davidson F150.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    We also had 3 F-150's with 33" tires.
    HERE
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Outstanding installs!!

My favorite touches were the Elements fiberglass A-pillars with
    components in them! Very unique!

Also I like the MM6 in the custom kick panels and a Momo 8" in the door panel! Now that how you do a midbass!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Josh
    We also had 3 F-150's with 33" tires.
    HERE
    one and a half thumbs up:D
    after all, it is a ford...
    ill look more when i have more time
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited July 2004
    WooHoo!

We drove the Scion to San Antonio, New Braunfels, and San Marcos these past few days (thats about 500 miles R.T.) It was a great little vacation for under $300. We enjoyed S.A. sights, tubing, animals, a cave, etc.. and overpriced food of course (lol)

The little Scion Xa 28.4 Mpg HWY ... a bit less than the rated 38 HWY and 32 Street. I told these F'ers that it wasn't possibly getting the right gas mileage, and the AC is overworking to cool the car...
    (My 16 year old car does 27 mpg with a bigger engine WFT!?)

Other than that it was a great ride, a little more sway than my car, probably because my car is only 4 ft tall :D Smooth over regular bumps, but hard on potholes because of 19" LP Racing rims (swapping to reg. soon). Generally a comfortable ride, comfortable seating. My only comfort-wise complaint is the weak spring on the throttle pedal, which means the weight of my foot takes the car to 85mph... so 500mi. of holding my foot & leg up to avoid tickets.

Stef loves having a "WTF is that?" car. She's a bit upset that the dealer keeps passing off the bad mileage and poor AC as being "new and will go away." I never had to loosen up my car's brand new engine (as in CRATE, 0mi.) to get the right gas mileage? "Loosen up the engine"... ARGH! off to the sales manager this morning.

Oh Well...
    -Jerry