Planned to build a pair of Monitor 10 knockoffs, but...
Options
Over the past year or so, I've slowly purchased Monitor 10 parts, thinking I would try to build my own pair from scratch... I have crossovers, PRs, 6501 drivers, LD0194 tweeters... Then started to notice discussion of comb filtering given the M10 side-by-side woofers, so decided it might be better to build a tower with the woofers on either side of the tweeter, PR at the base. Knowing nothing about tuning a PR, my original plan was to copy the M10 dimensions exactly, but if switching to a tower design, I'm wondering about the interior layout of the M10s - are there any baffles inside? and would baffles help the upper-lower woofers in a tower couple to the PR ?
I do realize that I could just buy a pair of RTA-11t's LOL.
I do realize that I could just buy a pair of RTA-11t's LOL.
Comments
-
Baffle? The M10 does have a brace to stiffen the baffle but it doesn't have anything to do with coupling to the PR which is entirely acoustic. Check out this thread where joebass3 did westmassguy's mod to his M10s and got great results. It mitigates the combing and filtering and improved the imaging and freq. response. You can see the original brace from Polk which is colored black and joe's additions are in particle board:
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173834/westmassguys-idea-employing-damping-to-mitigate-comb-filtering-and-lobing/p2
George / NJ
Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
Onkyo A-8017 integrated
Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
iFi nano iDSD DAC
iPurifier3
iDefender w/ iPower PS
Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform -
Thanks - just what I was looking for! 'Baffle' might not be the correct terminology - picturing interior structure that would potentially direct sound as it bounces around back there..
