New member asking for sanity check on Monitor 7
Options
Answers
-
Pretty sure your 6502 woofers are original Polk. Not original to the speaker manufacture date but made by them. I bought 4 6510's back around 2010 directly from Polk and they look exactly like yours. No wire on the front (through the cone) and I also had to cut out the rubber where the screws mounted... Have fun getting them updated, one of the best from back then and can still hold their own very well.
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me -
Pretty sure your 6502 woofers are original Polk. Not original to the speaker manufacture date but made by them. I bought 4 6510's back around 2010 directly from Polk and they look exactly like yours. No wire on the front (through the cone) and I also had to cut out the rubber where the screws mounted... Have fun getting them updated, one of the best from back then and can still hold their own very well.
What are the baskets like? Thinner gage metal? Do they have a raised part on the spokes to stiffen them?
Do yours have the terminals bent parallel to the baffle so as to not reflect sound back at the cone (presumably)?
I bought a 1999 NOS MW6500 on eBay when one of my original equipment ones started rubbing. It really didn't sound the same as the other original one. It had a smoother dust cap and, as you say, the tinsel leads lie right against the spider and pass through at the interface between spider/cone. Also had the same issue with the rubber surround notch outs for the screws not being large enough.George / NJ
Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
Onkyo A-8017 integrated
Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
iFi nano iDSD DAC
iPurifier3
iDefender w/ iPower PS
Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform -
Question #1&2 - yes. #3 - heck, I can't remember. The new woofers did have an ever so slightly different sound. I would say more "loose", for lack of a better term. One of the old 6510's was completely toast and I was thinking they might sound different, hence, why I bought 4. The replacements didn't even have a cutout for the screws, had to make my own...Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

