My painful MMC650 Install

Steve@3dai
Steve@3dai Posts: 983
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright boys and girls, I've got a WRX wagon. WRXs are known to have hella small mouting depth. So I look on the Polk fitting guide, and see that the MMC650s are on there. I've got EX365 components right now, but I want to upgrade. Then a one of the EX3s blew (I dunno, gonna send it in)

So let's go over my previous install

Headunit: RioCar/Empeg
V
Zapco RCA to Symlink converter
V
Symlink cables
V
Two Zapco AG200 amps
V
Stock wiring (well, hacked) to EX3 6.5" components in the front doors
V
12awg to the rear DB525s

So I had no real problems with this setup, no alternator whine, no popping problems, but then the EX3 gave out.

So I decide to swap out the EX3s. First problem arises, not enough room in the rear to clear the window. So I remove the plastic backing for that extra 1/8", good to go. Next problem occurs. The ONLY place in the door to mount the crossover is too far away from the speaker to reach with the supplied wire. So we had to solder on another 4-5" (Polk, seriously, 3" more and I could have skipped that step). Okay, there. So I start up the power, there's a loud hum of the RioCar harddrive's spinning up which was never there, and then some loud pops and stuff that were extruding the cone, so I turned it off real quick. It was too late by now and I call it quits.

Today, I get back to it. Clean up some of the wiring, check all the power connections. Found one problem with the power connections, fixed. That fixed the pops. But I still have the whine from the altenator. The only place I have power close to speaker wire is basically where it connects to the amp. The main power wire goes through the center console now, which is nowhere near speaker wires. There's only really a ground next to speaker wires, and it's a real short run.

Now here's my little beef with the MMC650 package.

1. Make the speaker wires 3-4" longer. Or just let me run my own wire like on the (cheaper) EX3 series.
2. The hex screws that you supply? Might look all cool when you have the grill on, but when you are installing into stock locations, they are TOO LONG. They go out of the mounting ring.

Anybody got any ideas? Next things to try is to skip the stock wiring and do a 12awg test to the crossovers from the amp. The other thing I might try is running RCAs instead of the (uber expensive) Symlink connections.
LSi 9/C/FX
Arcam AVR-200
Post edited by Steve@3dai on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    my guess is that since you left everything alone...its the crossovers that are inducing noise
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    I am sorry you've had so much trouble. It is most likely the passive crossovers inducing the noise. Are they mounted close to power wires like the power window wires? I personally haven't had problems with the wire length but there is always going to be some situations when it is a problem. As for the wires being hardwired, remember they are coaxials so to keep costs down the terminals on the crossover are eliminated. On our new MMC6500 and MMC5250 component sets, there are beefier external crossovers and seperate tweeters.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2004
    Yea, the speaker wires are ziptied to the power window controls.

So wait, lemme get this straight. I buy a newer, presumably better, set of speakers and they aren't as sheilded as the old EX3 series? These are supposed to be top of the line!

:mad:
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2004
    Regular coaxials aren't ever shielded. They use less and cheaper components in the crossover that can physically fit onto the speaker. They will never be close enough to power wires to induce noise unless they are running right on top of the driver. All external crossovers, whether they are high end coaxials or component sets, will induce noise if placed next to power wires. This is due to the internal components in the crossover. It is easier to move the crossover rather than trying to shield it.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2004
    But the previous EX3 had external crossovers. They were 6.5" Components.

I'll move the crossover around, but I really don't have much of anywhere to put it in the door.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai

Yes, but the MMC650's are coaxials, not components.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai

I'll move the crossover around, but I really don't have much of anywhere to put it in the door.

Were the other crossovers mounted in the same location?
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    Were the other crossovers mounted in the same location?

Pretty much, yes, the wires were tied to the same places for sure.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    With the Polk Installers helping you out, my two little cents worth aint gonna amount to much but Ill throw it in anyway.

Have you thought about mounting the x-overs in another location like in the back near the amps (if you have amps) or on the kick panels or something? You can always cut the terminated wires from the x-over and lengthen them for more flexibility.

Oh, and Id also like to second the idea of dumping the stock wiring and running some quality speaker wire from the source all the way to the speakers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Steve@3dai
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod

Oh, and Id also like to second the idea of dumping the stock wiring and running some quality speaker wire from the source all the way to the speakers.

Sure, I did that for the rear speakers. I ran RF 12awg directly to them. But it's going to be a HUGE UTTER PITA to do the front doors. I might just do it though, if moving the x-overs doesn't help.

LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    if that doesnt work...or even if it does...just give me the WRX and ill give you my truck...im not having any problems with it...currently...lol
    :D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it