MM6's do not fit

denis87
denis87 Posts: 86
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well i just went to a professional installer and my mm6's do not fit in my factory door locations. This is on an 04 civic. The only way i can use them is if i get kick panels for my civic. what do you guys suggest i do? The Q logic kick panels do not fit these speakers either. any help gladly accepted.
www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
Post edited by denis87 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    im sure you can make em fit with spacers...
    sounds to me like your installer is a lazy ****
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2004
    Yeah that is a major **** I have with the Momo speaker line. The basket is about the size of a football and is hard to fit in most places. However Ive seen too many custom installs to say "you cant fit that there".

First Id figure out the problem. If its too deep then look into spacers. If you have to cut out a 3/4" MDF piece as one thats fine. If it sticks out too far then you can consider cutting out the hole in the door panel and using the Momo grill.

If its a width problem then you can sut out the existing hole to a proper size. However this will make putting the stock speakers back in a ****.

If all else fails then you can look to an installer that can build you a custom kick panel that you can use. This will be a little pricey but it will work.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    the speaker with the spacer sticks out too far where the panel can be put back on. there really isn't another location where i can fit it either. as for kickpanels way too much for custom ones. do you think the q logic ones would fit the mm6?
    http://www.qlogic.ws/2003/products/qforms_detail.jsp?classID=57&productID=7279
    here's a helpful like that describes my situation.
    http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153831
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    You should call or email Crutchfield. They sell both the MM6 and the Q Forms kick panels and would be able to tell you exactly if the Q Forms can be cut enough to accomidate the Momo.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Isn't there a "sheath" over the MM6 magnet you can take off?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    theres a grill...is that what youre talking about?
    ive also been told by Kim you can take the beauty caps off...but I dunno how you would do that on the new ones since theyre not connected by screws anymore
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2004
    gonna try a different installer. word at the 7thgencivic forums is that they should fit. keep the fingers crossed.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    ^^^opps wrong username that's the one i usually use.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    theres a grill...is that what youre talking about?
    ive also been told by Kim you can take the beauty caps off...but I dunno how you would do that on the new ones since theyre not connected by screws anymore
    -Cody

They are connected by screws, but you must peel the plastic label off first.
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    Does it make it shallower? If so by how much?
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    BTW how did you get that label off?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2004
    Approx 1/4 inch. Flathead screwdriver. You will destroy the label.
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    i wonder why they use that sheath or if it is suppose to protect the magnet/speaker. i think most speakers just have the magnet unprotected. thanks a lot josh (and others) this may save me from returning these speakers.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    You definitely dont want to return them. They are awesome speakers. Theres gotta be a way to make em fit!

Although, shame on Polk for making such huge speakers and not offering a 5.25 in the Momo line.

• denis87
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    You definitely dont want to return them. They are awesome speakers. Theres gotta be a way to make em fit!

Although, shame on Polk for making such huge speakers and not offering a 5.25 in the Momo line.

My thoughts exactly, even though i haven't heard them yet.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Ive not heard them in a car system but I have heard them countless times on the Circuit City soundboard. They are flat awesome if you listen to heavy metal. They make a good heavy guitar sound almost good enough to eat! They are my favorite speaker under $430, with the Focal Polyglass taking over from there.

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by denis87
    i wonder why they use that sheath or if it is suppose to protect the magnet/speaker.

Beefier = better looking
    If you see the Momo sub without the rubber boot, you would definitely be surprised :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    that's stupid if it's just for looks. especially since that is the main complaint with these speakers with everyone.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Well, a lot of the great unwashed buy speakers based on which look the best. I have to admit to being guilty of it too. The new Rockford Fosgate comps look like a million bucks and youd think they would sound amazing! Focals on the other hand look **** as hell. They look like they would fall apart if anything more than 10 watts every touched them (which is understandable since they are made by the panty waist, surrender at the first shot French :mad: ) but yet they are the best sounding speakers you can get.

Same with MB Quart. They are as plain and simple as you can get and yet they are flat awesome sounding. The Reference series is still one of my favorite speakers ever, and they are boring as hell to look at. Yet the Sony X-plod speakers look pretty good and we all know how they sound.

I guess my point it that it aint a bad thing if you make your speakers look cool as long as they perform well too, which the Momos most certainly do. If they are sharp looking more people will buy them just for the looks even if they dont know the difference between a subwoofer and a capacitor. ;)

• denis87
    edited July 2004
    Yes great news the speakers are in and sound awesome, especially with only about 60 rms running to them. It certainly helps to find a good installer. I like the detail definitely sounds good. tweets a little bright but i think thats a combination of breaking them in, currently under powering them, and maybe my HU (my other old car with the same HU was a little bright too).
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    If youre running them off an amp then your head unit should affect the brightness of the sound.

You can attenuate the tweeters output on the x-over to 0db, -3db and -6db. Its probably set on 0 so you should bump it down a notch. You dont want your tweeters getting as much juice as your mids cause then you will get a bright sound. High frequencies require much less power to reproduce so if both your mid and tweet are getting 50 watts each then the tweets will be much more dominant and thus brighter sounding speakers.

Try the attenuator and see what you think. ;)

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited July 2004
    no, it's not just you, the tweets are really really bright... mine are at -6.0 on the xover and another -2 dB on the HU (way high up, ~8k and above). and it's not just my install, cause they're sitting approximately on top of my mids.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    some people have more sensitive ears than others...i can play my mm6s as loud as i can before they distort and the only time ive turned it down because it was too bright was during a lenny kravitz song
    but it still wasnt that bright...it was just too damn loud...lol
    yeah...im going to be deaf...
    -Cody
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    Well i just bi amped them and now have the ability to control the brightness through my HU. The tweets are my front channel and my mids are the rear channel. so whenever i feel it's to bright i fade it more to the mids. they're are also getting about 60 rms to each, 120 rms to each speaker together. once the break in grade A goodness.
    :cool:
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    youd be better off splitting the front signal, if your using a 4 channel amp, you should have to different gain adjustments, one for channels 1 and 2, one for 3 and 4. split the right signal so it goes to channels 1 and 3, and the left to 2 and 4, run your mids off of 1+2, and your highs off 3+4, this way its just front sound, not read, and your still biamping. make sure that your highs are crossed over, if the amp wont let you, use the crossover from the component set....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2004
    I have a 96 civic and it took me a few months to get the mm6's to fit in my stock speaker locatings in the front doors, but I am glad that i finally got them in because they sound great. I am not sure what the new civic look like but on mine all i did was remove the factory grill on the door panel and use cardboard to make a template of the factory grill and make a new one out of 3/4 inch mdf which acts as a spacer to make room for the depth of the mm6's. I still need to cover the mdf spacer but at least i got them in perfectly and they is just enough space to use the polk grills. I also had to cut the plastic on the door opening under the factory grill. Just take your time and you should get them in with no problem. Trust me it is very worth the effort.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • denis87
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by fairlynew1
    youd be better off splitting the front signal, if your using a 4 channel amp, you should have to different gain adjustments, one for channels 1 and 2, one for 3 and 4. split the right signal so it goes to channels 1 and 3, and the left to 2 and 4, run your mids off of 1+2, and your highs off 3+4, this way its just front sound, not read, and your still biamping. make sure that your highs are crossed over, if the amp wont let you, use the crossover from the component set....

What's the benefit of doing that? I understand how to hook it up.

rbarbera75 i did get them to fit with no panel modification, except shaving a little off the inside of the panel.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Good job on bi-amping. Im a big fan of it.

Myself, I prefer running the tweets off the front channels. The rear channels usually have a bass boost or EQ which is more useful for mids.

I would also recommend not setting the tweet's gain a little lower than the mids. This should balance them out just right and then you can fine tune with your tweeter EQ on the HU.

• denis87
    edited July 2004
    actually the kicker amp i have has crossovers, gain, treble boost, and bass boost for front and rear channels. Right now for the tweeters i'm using the polk crossover with the amp crossover off and the mids are set to 70 hz hp on the amp crossover. the only thing that sucks about the amp is that it doesn't have variable crossovers. only 120hz or 70hz. Does that set up sound about right to you guys?
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Im not familiar with the Polk x-over. Does it have dual inputs so that you can run both channels thru the Polk x-over?

Most high end x-overs have this option so that you can use the x-over when bi-amping. The reason for this is that your mids are running at full range which isnt really a bad thing, just that it would perform better if crossed over at around 3500 Hz which the Polk x-over would do.