Old car - new sound

Ponyman
Ponyman Posts: 3
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys & gells. Slightly different to your normal sort of questions I guess but I'm hoping someone can give me a little advise.

I've got a 32 year old Rover P6, which in its day was a middle class executive saloon. I've recently purchased a Blaupunkt DAB 52 Woodstock which is a DAB digital radio, an FM / AM tuner, a cd player and a MP3 cd player all in one unit. The power output is quoted as 4 x 25 W RMS. My next requirements are for speakers.

This car was from before the time when car door construction anticipated fitting speakers & before I go hacking my pride and joy about, I'm wanting a little (OK - a lot of) advise about fitting them! I was initially thinking of a 4 speaker setup with two on the rear shelf & two in the front doors. However I'm usually on my own in the car and along with another thread that suggested that rear speakers can spoil the soundstage I'm wondering if I should just stick with front ones. I'm thinking of some good quality multi-axle jobs - I used to have a car with some nice Infinities (what is the difference between the Reference & Kappa range by the way?) so unless anyone has any better suggestions then it's to Infinity that I'd first be looking. I may at some stage decide to add external amplification so the speakers need to have some useful headroom.

I'm also interested in a subwoofer. The idea of fitting a base tube to the boot sounds good to me at the moment as I wouldn't have to hack the car about too much. However as well as running an old car, I'm er 'old' myself and having the whole car jumping to The White Stripes latest would look distinctly uncool at my age - I'm really wanting to contain the sound within the car rather than broadcasting it to the general public - again any advise would be very welcome.

Many thanks :D
Post edited by Ponyman on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2004
    id just stick to the front speakers...get a set of Polk's DB component speakers and a good amp to power them
    id take DBs over Infinity's Reference or Kappa series anyday
    if you have a Circuit City around, you can listen for yourself, I think they carry all three lines
    as far as a sub...how many and what size?
    and btw, old people that bump are very cool:cool:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it