Jazz suggestions anyone ?

presidan
presidan Posts: 116
edited February 2002 in Music & Movies
I'm looking for a good Jazz cd. I like real mellow and smooth stuff, you know the kind of stuff i can listen to while laying in bed. I dont know anything about Jazz really but i do like it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
RT2000i
F/X1000
CS400i
DENON AVR-3802
PIONEER PDP 4360-HD 43"
Post edited by presidan on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    i just got the 'kind of blue' miles davis disc. i asked for some suggestions on good jazz discs as well, check out the replies here:

jazz
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2002
    How about some good female mellow type jazz?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2002
    i second Kind of Blue. it's a great, really mellow album. Blue Miles by Miles Davis is excellent too. There's a great Dave Brubeck album that's mellow too--This is Jazz Vol. 39, Dave Brubeck plays standards. some more:
    Ultimate Bill Evans
    Dave Brubeck-Time Out
    Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers-Moanin' (not really mellow, but an outstanding album)
    Thelonious Monk-Monk's Music
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited January 2002
    Ron, I just got my tickets to see Diana Krall at the Meyerhoff here in B'more in April. I last saw her in tiny, intimate Blues Alley in DC. She's really something: a great talent, great voice, wonderful band. Lots of style.

Also, check out works by jazz singer Patricia Barber (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-4615998-0324649), she's completely smokin (as a singer, that is) and her CDs are all audiophile dreams. She does a great version of that muppet song "Inch Worm." No foolin.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited January 2002
    Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhh....Diana Krall will knock you on yer behind! Mmmmm...that voice sounds nice on Polks with the right hardware to back them up! Got all her cd's.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited January 2002
    Two that I really like are "Jazz Samba" and "For Sax Lovers". After putting the kids to bed, this is great music to relax to.

Greg
  • Jellee
    Jellee Posts: 6
    edited February 2002
    Hmmm I recommend Sade- Cant go wrong with her "Best Of" CD and her latest I believe is "Lovers Rock". :D If you like acoustic guitar I Alex De Grassi - "The World's Getting Loud". For the more complex soul I would say Pat Metheny. Have Fun
    Jeff
    Everybody believes in something, I believe I'll go fishing
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    I recommend the following.

Jazz to relax to:
    Cole Porter-Any Best Of
    Thelonious Monk-Live at the It
    Kitaro-Silk Road
    Andreas Vollenweider-White Winds
    The first 2 are classic piano Jazz. I find Jazz based on piano to be much more soothing than horn, sax, or vocal. The second 2 are New Age. I find Kitaro to be very enjoyable. Andreas plays an electric harp that sounds sooo sweet.

Bonus round!
    Jazz to clean the house to:
    John Coltrane-The Ultimate Blue Train
    Miles Davis-Essential Miles
    Dave Brubeck-Time Out
    Sun Ra-Space is the Place
    Tangerine Dream-Ricochet
    3 classics, 1 Space, 1 New Age

Good luck! I started fully appreciating Jazz about a year ago. It's awesome. I currently listen to a couple of public radio stations that rule! I'd rather listen to 20 different songs a day that are new to me, than 4 songs repeated 5 times that are new to Billboard. I'm even thinking about digital cable mainly for the music stations.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited February 2002
    You might want to sample some Nightmares on Wax as well. It has more of a hip-hop flava' to it, but very smoothing and laid back. A couple of the songs have female vocalist on it. Carboot Soul is the recommended first pick from their collection.

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Crank It Up
    Crank It Up Posts: 6
    edited February 2002
    You might want to give Jean Luc Ponty a listen. Quite a variety in the music. I've heard his stuff described as electric jazz violin and I'd agree with that. Check out the last track on "The Very Best of...", very upbeat and inspiring.
    My favorite artist when I have time for critical listening.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2002
    heres one that is good , i should say awesome, its steve tyrell, standard time. its a new alblum that just came out , the sound quality is awesome to. guranted you will like. its a columbia lable #ck 86006. thanks, joe
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.