Mountain Bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Treks are real nice. I would have bought one, but my dad sold me his old Cannondale.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by superbrett
    Kona makes nice stuff....kinda have the BC Freeride market cornered....Made in canada I belive.
    Very respectiable bike!

Ferndale, Washington. Just a few miles south of the Canadian border and home to my future in-laws. Yee-haw!
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    I have a Trek Fuel 80 and would TOTALLY disagree that trek bikes are cheaply made.

The biggest cost difference between the bikes that I was looking at was when I decided to choose the Full Suspension over the Front Suspension only.

When I got a bike, I spent another $300-400 on accessories. That's where ya don't even think about things.

DEFINITELY get a Camelpak and padded gloves!!! Those things are a godsend!!! I have an odometer, clip in pedals/shoes, gel cushioned seat, and then the handlebar extentions, helmet, and padded riding shorts. I also got that nerdy spotlight that you attach to your helmet. Last thing I wanna do is be in some remote area with no light......

I am just going to stick with looking at the front suspension only. I have been on full suspension before and the feel is really weird. I'm not going to be doing any death drops, so, a hardtail should be just fine.

I have already thought about the added cost of the extras. No real big deal there. I figure gloves, bike rack, helmet, and maybe some shorts to start with. Anything else I can add over time.
  • superbrett
    superbrett Posts: 106
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Sorry guys....still not convinced.
    Plenty of MTBR posts will confirm...

Just for the sake of argument here....(no-one get all bent out of shape or pissed comprende~)
    Have you ever REALLY compared the frame welds or seatstays or rear drop-outs of a "Terd" to something like say...Ellsworth, Santa Cruz or a Marin?
    It's unreal, all I'm saying is....you get what you pay for.
    "Looks good from far, but far from good!"
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by wlrandall
    Cannondale is my preferred choice.

Have you considered buying used? The better shops that do take trades usually have some really nice used ones for sale as well. Might be the way to go and if you stick with it, upgrade in about a year

I have considered used. I wish I had considered used audio gear, so, I will try to learn from my mistakes and apply them here. I need to go to the local shops and see what they have to offer. I am going to try and find some one last years models as well, but, those probably sold out many months ago.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    edited June 2004
    Options
    bought my wife a giant can't remember the model its a tadd heavy but I will upgrade some of the components. I bought myself one too the rincon not bad not great but it does the trick comfotable easy to use...and rides nice...we are not hardcore rock hoppers but the occasional trail here and there and the road around the cottage. Good bikes for the price we got...as mentioned look at last years models !!
  • jeremie
    jeremie Posts: 246
    edited June 2004
    Options
    In my opinion for 800 bucks you get what you pay for. You are not going to get a crappy bike for 800 bucks. Main thing to do is test ride the bike. Bikes are always upgradable so find a light weight frame with a good front fork on it since you will be doing 50/50 riding. No need for full suspension.

My MTB race bike is a 2002 Giant NRS Air which if i ever buy another bike it will be another NRS Air and my Road Race bike is a Cannondale R2000 with Dura Ace.

http://www.sunset-racing.com/meitz.html
    Receiver Yamaha 3070 *Emotiva xpa5 * Behringer iNuke 6000dsp *Monster Cable HTS 3500 -- line conditioner * Panamax 5300 * Apple 4K * Panasonic UB820 * JVC NX5 * Silver Ticket thin bezel 120”
    LSIM - Fronts 707 * Center 706c * Sides 702 * Rear 703 *FP RC85i * RP RC65i * Sub (2) SI HT18
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by superbrett
    Sorry guys....still not convinced.
    Plenty of MTBR posts will confirm...

Just for the sake of argument here....(no-one get all bent out of shape or pissed comprende~)
    Have you ever REALLY compared the frame welds or seatstays or rear drop-outs of a "Terd" to something like say...Ellsworth, Santa Cruz or a Marin?
    It's unreal, all I'm saying is....you get what you pay for.

If an ugly weld doesn't break, then it's as functional as the pretty one. We are not talking about a rocket ship here, it's a bike. I have seen some gorgeous welding work on bikes, it's a nice thing to behold.

I agree, you do certainly get what you pay for...isn't that a no brainer?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • flason
    flason Posts: 278
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Do you want front or full suspension? (oops..I guess you decided on front. That'll last till you find a really rooty trail!)Specialized has a 4 bar linkage in the rear that I believe has been purchased by other manufactures. It was on the short list when I looked for a full suspension bike, however, my full suspension rig is a Cannondale Super V 1000 FreeRide. I have a few thousand miles on it but never have used it for it's intended purpose. Not a lot of mountains here in FL but some of the trails I've ridden leads me to believe I would puss out on a mountain anyway. GT use to make a nice bike a few years ago but I believe they were bought out a couple of years back. The Kona's are very well built but have a long top tube causing you to stretch out a little. I have ridden a Marin East Peak and it was a very comfortable ride. Good luck on your quest but never turn the stereo off.
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their comments thus far. Keep them coming. I am learning my **** off over here. I will not have a chance to get to my local bike shop for another week or so, but in the meanwhile I am going to keep reading as much as I can. Again, the more comments and advice the better. Any advice on helmets, or pretty much just spend as much as I can/want without getting ridiculous?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Shelby, if you need or want a biking partner. lemme know.. i am always looking for someone to ride with.. and i know a few hardcore riders if you're up for that too. as for me.. i'm pretty much non suicidal... i stay on the pavement.. as best i can. ha ha ha.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I own and operate a Trek 7500. Great bike, go anywhere anytime. Highly recommended, but then again I recommend any bike. Just do it, you know?

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    a few years ago i did a lot of research on a bike...i only had about half of what youre spending, but i went with Raleigh, I havent upgraded it yet except for the back tire...those 'V' brakes theyve been putting on bikes for the last 10 or so years will send you over the handle bars if youre not careful...ive done it before...
    the brakes are also the reason why i had to get a new back tire...i wore all the rubber off making too quick of stops...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2004
    Options
    haha; yeah, I have a few smooth spots on my back tire from stopping; I'm afraid they weren't accidental, though. :D However, I did actually predict that the front brakes would send me flyin', so I haven't used those.

I have a Trek 820, and the only problem I've had has been when I accidently turned the front wheel way too far while going down a hill; the wheel jerked all the way around and messed up the fron brakes a little.

Anyhoo, I hope you find something you like.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Shizelbs
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Shelby, if you need or want a biking partner. lemme know.. i am always looking for someone to ride with.. and i know a few hardcore riders if you're up for that too. as for me.. i'm pretty much non suicidal... i stay on the pavement.. as best i can. ha ha ha.

Deal.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I didn't see this thread until now. I would have respoded sooner. I have toured (cross country) bike raced and coached a professional bike team for 15 years. I have had over 10 road bikes and one mountain bike. I don't do much mountain biking, just road, however my advice would be the same.

Don't buy your first bike from mailorder or department store regardless of the price.

Find a good bike store close to you that has been in business for over ten years. Tell them what you want to do with the bike, how much riding you want to do and how much money you have. Try out a few bikes in the parking lot and see how they feel. You will know what you like. The bike shop will fit you to the proper bike size and will tune it up for free after a month.

If you join a local bike club they usually will give you 10% off bikes and other stuff. Clubs and bike shops work together. I encourage you to joint a bike club, much fun and tips for riding and they show you good places to ride together.

With the bike you buy get a water battle and holder and small bike bag with tire irons, spare tube, patch kit and put a $20 bill and some $1 bills. Also put a package of M&N's in the bag for hunger when there are no stores. That should keep you out of trouble for a while. Later you can decide what else to buy.

Have a blast!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I have run my Trek 7000, 15 years old, and simply upgraded parts over the years. I have tried to kill this bike, but it will not die. I'll build a new one, when the frame breaks, until then it's Trek for me.

ROFLMAO!!!! Now that's a well built bike!!! Good luck in your future attempts to break it! LOL:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Get a helmet that is a good fit to your head, has plenty of breathing holes and is comfortable. Also don't forget to get a Kryptonite bike lock, a water bottle holder, and to register your bike with the Police Dept.

Also give the bike a test ride to make sure it's comfortable & you can handle it well and that the gears change easily. And padded bike shorts or not be prepared to have a very sore butt until it gets used to sitting on the seat!
    Originally posted by Shizelbs
    Thanks everyone for their comments thus far. Keep them coming. I am learning my **** off over here. I will not have a chance to get to my local bike shop for another week or so, but in the meanwhile I am going to keep reading as much as I can. Again, the more comments and advice the better. Any advice on helmets, or pretty much just spend as much as I can/want without getting ridiculous?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2