New to me truck needs better than stock speakers

So, I recently purchased a low mileage 2019 Nissan Frontier SV king cab pick-em-up truck. I got a great deal on it and I'm very happy with the purchase, but the stock sound system is God awful. I'm looking for suggestions for budget replacement speakers that will help improve the SQ a bit. I'm not looking to dump thousands into this. I just want to pull out and replace the OEM crap speakers with something that will sound more like music. I read some good reviews for JBL's car audio speakers, but I figured I should ask around before pulling the trigger on anything. Thanks for any help you can offer! I think the truck is equipped with 6x9's in the front doors and 6.5's in the rear.
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Answers

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,544
    Crutchfield has a great selection tool and they include any adapters and fittings with what you buy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    Yea, I second Crutchfield. They also have great customer service. Call em up, tell them what you are looking for, and they will make solid suggestions. They also include detailed instructions for installation.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,469
    Crutchfield for the win! B)
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 764
    Thanks! I ordered some JBL coaxial three way speakers for the front and rear doors through Crutchfield. Fingers crossed! I hope they sound better than the OEM speakers.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • newbie308
    I just finished installing the new JBL 6x9 speakers in the front doors of my truck. I watched a lot of videos and read many posts on the Nissan forum from others who changed their speakers. They had me worried about the ability of the stock head unit to drive the 4 ohm speakers, since the stock speakers are 2 ohm, but it sounds fine to me. I don't need it to rattle the windows. I did order an Infinity 4 channel, 40 watt per channel amplifier with line inputs, but I am going to hold off on installing it. If I find that I need more volume after installing the rear speakers, then I will add the amp. The SQ is significantly better with just the door speakers, so I'm excited to hear what it sounds like with all 4.
  • VR3
    I doubt you will need the amp

I don't doubt the need for pictures though! Take pics!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    OK, here are some pics.
    yqhh60l2si9x.jpg
    o2rk3s9mmlf2.jpg
    plsa6era7qdb.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,945
    Mo' betaah!!!! Mo' betaah!!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,680
    edited September 25
    Look at you Mr. Motivated. I've had my "new truck" since May 2023...I bought a set of replacement speakers to upgrade...
    They are still in the box along with some sound dampening material...Yes, I know. Pathetic.
    One of these days...
    Your upgrade should sound nice. Nothing says cheap more than those stock speakers with the 'whizzer' cones. The mids and highs should have much greater clarity.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • VR3
    Love the pics!
  • VR3
    I don't normally dabble into car audio but back when I bought the prius the stock speakers were so horrendous I ordered new speakers the first day, very easy to install since they had grills on the dash. Maybe 30 minutes

Door speakers are a little trickier but if you find a YouTube video you can usually have a door skin off in 5 to 10 minutes as well
  • newbie308
    The rear speakers arrived today. The installation was significantly more involved since the stock speakers are molded into the baskets.
    gd0xpexkbedu.jpg
    j1l8uvf5cx5s.jpg
    4apuyc5wqq5i.jpg
    csx6hu02g3d0.jpg
    92wwn5eac5z7.jpg
  • newbie308
    Amazing! There's actually some separation of instruments now. I was listening to Godsmack, Under your scars on my way to pick up dinner and although the sound stage was low and forward, at least there was one. The vocals were centered on the center console just in front of the shifter. I am very pleased with the end results. I realize that these speakers are not high end, but I think they are a perfect fit for this truck.
  • billbillw
    I'm surprised that Crutchfield didn't include a pair of Metra adapters for the rear speakers. Last time I ordered from them, they were added to the cart with a $0 price along with the wire plug adapters (also from Metra).
  • newbie308
    They did include the adapters. I was just commenting on the additional labor involved since the front speakers were a simple swap. I did need to run to Home Depot for the foam rubber gasket material. I used Moretite between the speakers and the plastic adapter baskets.
  • billbillw
    Gotcha. For some reason, on the 1st read, I thought you had to cut apart the old speaker to get the spacer. I see it now.