Beyerdynamic DT770 mod help needed

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,584
edited September 11 in Headphones
Short Summary:

I am modifying a set of Beyerdynamic DT770’s to: (a) use a removable cable stock one broke internally, (b) tweak the sound. I need some help with determining if I wire them internally for a fully balanced setup as well as what wire to go with.

As of now I’ve purchased the unbalanced conversion kit which uses a 3 pin Mini-XLR as I only have one headphone amp that is balanced (iFi zdac from the karma). The plan was to keep all the internal wiring and I purchased a cheap mini-XLR to 3.5mm cable until I can make something better.

Questions:
  1. Should I convert it to be fully balanced internally (i.e. use a 4 pin mini-XLR instead)
  2. What make/model wiring do you recommend? I know @ALL212 used Mogami 2534 but that only works if I go fully balanced. I think Mogami 2552 or 2549 are the equivalents in unbalanced.
  3. Where do you find the fabric jackets that goes over the cables? I’m not looking for techflex but something similar to what you see on these cablesIMG_5640.jpg

Additional information

Here are links to the modifications to the sound I’m going to make: Mass Loading and Damping v2, Mass Loading and Damping v3. I’m starting with the v3 kit since it’s the easiest to do and if I don’t like that sound I will install the v2 dampening to see if I like that better.

Note: the copper weights are identical in
both kits so the difference is the foam v the damping.

all-3.png
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• EndersShadow
    edited September 11
    yn1gr6rehony.jpeg
    vtooz1y0o2rp.jpeg
    xcxddjesahkd.jpeg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Went ahead and purchased 8 ft of both Mogami 2552 and 2549 plus a Amphenol KS3P 3.5mm Stereo Mini Plug Connector Satin.

I think I’m gonna with the 4 pin balanced at the headphone and then use a regular stereo cable with the ground connected to both negatives…. I think that’s how it works… lol
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,336
    Went ahead and purchased 8 ft of both Mogami 2552 and 2549 plus a Amphenol KS3P 3.5mm Stereo Mini Plug Connector Satin.

I think I’m gonna with the 4 pin balanced at the headphone and then use a regular stereo cable with the ground connected to both negatives…. I think that’s how it works… lol

Danny.....it's your thing it's your thing, do what you want to do, I can't tell you who to sock it to
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman