Picked up a set of 3.1tl's, Here I go again

2»

Comments

• Luckily my cabinets are in good shape, tops and bottoms are good.
  • Today I got the cabinets sealed and MW magnets glued. I also recieved my 1 1/4 inch Sonic Barrier from Parts Express. I decided to try the SB on my 1C's to see if I could really tell the difference.

This is the easiest mod I have done. Cut into 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 squares, (I used a table saw) remove MW's, slide polyfill up, stick squares behind MW's, slide poly back into place, reinstall drivers. Probably took 45 minutes.

I am surprised. The difference is dramatic. In a good way. The mids are much cleaner, the imaging is sharper, the SDA effect has more space. I think the bass may be cleaner as well. The gentle subduing of the mids has also allowed the highs to shine through, something previously lacking. The 1C's have never sounded this clean, this balanced.

IMO this may be the best bang for the buck mod. An 18X24 inch piece of Sonic Barrier is about $30. I was able to make enough sqares to do my 3.1's, 1C's and 2B's with enough left over to do my Monitor 7's when the time comes. If you are on the fence about this mod, just do it! I understand many consider Black Hole 5 to be superior, but my ears and my budget are truly appreciating this Sonic Barrier. It will go on all of my vintage Polks. Now I am going to do the 2B's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,330
    I understand many consider Black Hole 5 to be superior
    The original Black Hole 5 is no more, the new stuff is not the same stuff we used in the past.
    Fwiw
  • To those who questioned the age of my equipment, you were right to do so. I picked up an Onkyo 9555 integrated amp in like new condition yesterday to use while sending my Adcom GFP555 and Hafler DH500 to the shop for a good going over. I tested it at the sellers house on his nice B&W speakers. I was impressed, so I handed him $150., took it home, and hooked it up to the 1C's. I wasnt expecting too much, so I was pleasantly surprised. As much as I hate to admit it, the Onkyo sounds better than my separates. Yes, it has it's limitations (at less than half of the wattage) especially near 12 o'clock on the volume knob, but at moderate levels it sounds very nice. My old stuff is definitely out of spec. It only makes sense, I throw gobs of $$$ updating the guts of my 30 year old speakers and ignore my 30 year old equipment. A big part of that has been that while I am comfortable inside of speakers, I am not qualified to tear into equipment. Now to try to find someone locally to service them. The Hafler weighs a ton, shipping alone would cost a fortune.
  • The cabinets are ready! They were lightly sanded and 3 coats of satin black enamel were sprayed. Cover fabric has been replaced. Drivers reinstalled securely into hurricane nuts.
    hzg9tcnyz0g6.jpg
    xz4dv0xzgbme.jpg

The binding posts have been replaced with Cardas. Stock interconnect replaced with SpeakOn.
    ciqxpqtksjt3.jpg

All that's left are the crosovers. The Clairty CSA caps are expected to arrive tomorrow. I should have them up and running before the weekend.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,330
    edited October 14
    When the sticker glue dies, red or black shrink tubing works pretty good. I cut off about 1/4" ring of my adhesive lined red and put it over the back half of my Cardas binding posts.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    When the sticker glue dies, red or black shrink tubing works pretty good. I cut off about 1/4" ring of my adhesive lined red and put it over the back half of my Cardas binding posts.

That's a great idea! Sticker is meant to be temporary, but considering I still get my left and right confused I had to do something to protect myself from myself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,427
    edited October 14
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,190
    Those are looking great. Nice job..
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,601
    Where did you find the black paint?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • halo71 wrote: »
    Where did you find the black paint?

I will tell you if you promise to keep an open mind.......

Some may scoff, but I have refinished several pairs of speakers with this exact paint and each time gotten great results. Mind you I refer to myself as an exceptional **** polisher and have decades of experience with rattle cans.

It's Rust-oleum protective enamel. I get it at Home depot.
    4ihns711caem.jpg

Rust-oleum recently upgraded the nozzles to include 5 settings; normal, heavy, light, vertical fan and horizontal fan. I used the light settings for all of the edges first, the horizontal fan for the sides, and the vertical fan for the tops which I always paint last because they are the most noticable.

Some experience or a good deal of practice with a rattle can is important to get an even sheen, smooth finish, and avoid runs.

I very carefully mask and cover everything I dont want paint on, lightly scuff all surfaces with a sanding sponge, wipe down and spray 3 light coats. A heavy coat will run. The sheen is spot on. All of the detail and grain still shows through. And it holds up very well, no peeling, chipping, etc.

With the new fabric the 3.1tl's look better than new, an improvement over the black vinyl they came with.

Somewhere someone is judging me. I can feel it.

• Hmmmm. I did not think the word I used in my polishing comment was offensive, but it got **** anyway. My apologies to the editing robot.
  • GRRRRR. USPS. My Madisound order was to arrive by 9pm today. It's 9:20........
  • The caps arrived Wednesday and I finished the build yestrday.
    xgzbriwok6nm.jpg
    1grog0hye6nw.jpg

After working out a few bugs I finally got them right at about 10 last night. I wasn't able to listen for long, but I love what I heard! The 3.1tl's are a big step up from my 1C's and 2Btl's. I will save the details until I get the chance to listen some more, but I am one happy camper!