RTIA5 upgrade

My setup is this: Polk RTIA5, Center is Polk CSIA6, My sides are Polk FXIA6
I am looking for opinions on what I could upgrade my RTIA5 to? I am 90% music & wondering anyone can suggest a RTIA5 upgrade? Are there any front upgrades that would allow me to go down to a 2.1 setup or even better 2.0 setup?

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,360
    edited September 7
    In order to make a recommendation, it would be good to let us know what amplifier you are driving the speakers with.

The right amplifier may bring new life to your present speakers.

Is there something you don't like about your current speakers that you want to correct?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • chains7
    chains7 Posts: 15
    I have a Denon 4300. 12 x 15 room. I am looking for more clarity in the musical instruments.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,426
    Are there any front upgrades that would allow me to go down to a 2.1 setup or even better 2.0 setup?
    Ditch the AVR. For music in a 2.1 or 2 channel rig you want either a quality integrated amp or separate pre amp/power amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• chains7
    Any preamp suggestions?
  • F1nut
    chains7 wrote: »
    Any preamp suggestions?

Find some in your budget along with some power amps, then ask for opinions.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    My setup is this: Polk RTIA5, Center is Polk CSIA6, My sides are Polk FXIA6
    I am looking for opinions on what I could upgrade my RTIA5 to? I am 90% music & wondering anyone can suggest a RTIA5 upgrade? Are there any front upgrades that would allow me to go down to a 2.1 setup or even better 2.0 setup?

Sooo many options. I agree that an integrated or even just separate power amp would greatly improve the sound. But while im sure your setup is quite enjoyable for HT, that series just isn't good for music. I think would be a massive improvement, even without changing anything else:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/polkr700blk/polk-audio-reserve-r700-pair-8-3-way-floor-standing-speakers-black/1.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Foam 'n plugs upgrade would be top of the list.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    xschop wrote: »
    Foam 'n plugs hack should never be on the list.
    Fixed it

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    Where are you located?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Still got that $1.37 (inflation adj.) foam for ya F1. :D
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,344
    I have a Denon 4300. 12 x 15 room. I am looking for more clarity in the musical instruments.

I have a friend that swears by his RTiA5's and absolutely LOVEs them for 2ch. Your 4300 looks like a decent AVR and is rated at what, 125wpc with 2 channels driven? Whether that's 100% accurate or not, that's a good start if you're just driving your A5's.

Have you experimented with speaker set up, positioning and paid attention to reflection points?

@rooftop59 makes a great suggestion regarding the R700's as an upgrade however if you haven't spent any time with spacing and toe-in, I'd definitely start there. And since your Dennon has pre-outs, adding an external amplifier can also be a consideration, allowing you to get more from your A5's.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • chains7
    I am located in Canada. The R700s will about $3400 here. They were on sale recently for $300 off per speaker. They do interest me but not sure about paying that much more over my RTIA5. I would be interested to see if I could run the R700 in 2.0 or would I still require my sub. I am not familiar with amplifiers. Would you recommend a multi channel amp or only 2 channel? What power amp would you think I should look at? Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Since it sounds like you're primarily interested in 2ch, a 2 channel amp would do. The AVR could power the rest of your speakers when doing H.T.

I'm not familiar with what's available to you up in Canada however I've been running Emotiva amps and quite happy with them.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,360
    You would definitely need a better amp to drive the R700. Why not start with upgrading the amp and use it with the RTiA5 and see how you like. You can always upgrade the speakers later.

Could start with running a good 2 ch power amp off your receiver's pre-amp output. Later get a pre-amp to use with that amp.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • chains7
    edited September 9
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge but why would I get a 2 channel preamp & then add another preamp? Should I not start with a preamp that meets my long term needs? Also should I consider a multichannel preamp? What is difference between amp & preamp? I know I said 90% music so maybe that's why 2 channel suggestion. If I add a 2 channel preamp then want to play home theatre will the 2 channel preamp affect the HT sound or can it be turned off. Sorry if these are dumb questions but I have no knowledge of the amps. I appreciate all comments. Thanks
  • Geoff4rfc
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge but why would I get a 2 channel preamp & then add another preamp? Should I not start with a preamp that meets my long term needs? Also should I consider a multichannel preamp? What is difference between amp & preamp? I know I said 90% music so maybe that's why 2 channel suggestion. If I add a 2 channel preamp then want to play home theatre will the 2 channel preamp affect the HT sound or can it be turned off. Sorry if these are dumb questions but I have no knowledge of the amps. I appreciate all comments. Thanks

I believe he was referring to "later" regarding the pre-amp, as if you eventually decide to go separates. And, I believe he echoed what I was suggesting with getting an amp and trying it out with your A5's.

• chains7
    You think a 2 channel amp is all I require? This is what I would use for music? Would the HT 5.1 play same as it does today or would the front channels drown out the rest of the setup or can the amp be by passed for HT use? Sorry for my ignorance
  • Geoff4rfc
    You think a 2 channel amp is all I require? This is what I would use for music? Would the HT 5.1 play same as it does today or would the front channels drown out the rest of the setup or can the amp be by passed for HT use? Sorry for my ignorance

No worries, we all started somewhere.

Yes, for 2ch, a 2ch amp is what you'll want. Once you have the amp in place, you'll run Audyssey. The Denon will set the trim for all the speakers and makes sure the amp backed mains blend in with the rest of the speakers. You'll want the amp powering the mains weather you're in 2ch or H.T.

There are plenty of avenues that you can do a little research on your own, to answer a lot of your questions. Speaking of questions, I asked you a couple in my original reply.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    edited September 9

Here are the various levels you can proceed through:
    1. purchase a 2 or 5-channel amp and use your receiver's pre-outs to feed the amp. Outlaw Audio and Monoprice have amps built by ATI that are good quality and affordable, and Monoprice has just about every configuration you could desire. This amp would power your speakers anytime you use them.
    2. purchase an integrated amplifier with home theater bypass (for instance, my musical fidelity A308 has this feature, as does the newer and more affordable Cambridge 851a or 840a - https://www.ebay.com/itm/145987970745?). You would connect your music source directly to the amplifier and use the amplifier's built-in pre-amp section to control the volume, and then use your receiver's pre-amp out jacks to send the L/R signal to the integrated's HT bypass input allowing the receiver to control the signal and volume.
    3. Add a two-channel preamp after adding an amplifier (1). In order to keep your surround sound, this preamp would need HT bypass feature. If you choose to go 2.0/2.1, however, you would not need HT bypass, which greatly expands your options, and of course you could sell your receiver and surround speakers to help fund the upgrades.

I am a big fan of used audio equipment, especially for amps. Parasound, B&K, rotel, Cambridge, Arcam, and many more offer great value on the used market.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • chains7
    Geoff4rfc I have experimented with speaker set up, positioning. What are reflection points? I have received some very useful information to point me in the right direction. Thanks everyone
  • Geoff4rfc
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm glad you posted this.....h e l l.....my damn belt buckle has been an issue

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,329
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Don't bend over.....
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited September 11
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Don't bend over.....

LMAO.....you know then. I don't wear rodeo buckles or like I like to call them, dinner plates, but still, a 4.5" buckle will cut your gut in a heart beat :D

• chains7
    Any opinions on adding the emotiva BasX A5 amp to my 5.1 system? Will it provide any improvements to my current setup?
  • F1nut
    You get what you pay for.

President of Club Polk

• chains7
    So does that mean you don't recommend? Suggestions?
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,985
    edited September 17
    xschop wrote: »
    Foam* 'n plugs* upgrade would be top of the list.
    At least consider Foaming the mids. The $ is just a few dollars** and your time.
    **box of pipe wrap @ Lowe’s or HD

I’ve done both*.I first Foamed***my ‘A7s’ mids, “Plugging” followed.
    ***see Garden Stater’s thread on the same

Finally adding an external amp for your LR/LCR would take your enjoyment up a knotch or three
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work