A Real Crappy Week

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,479
edited August 15 in The Clubhouse
Last weekend the wife walked into the kitchen around 11PM. Just night lights on here and there. She slips and falls due to water on the floor. Thankfully she is just a badly bruised and sore 72-year-old.

The sewer was plugged at foundation wall. The dishwasher was running and overflowed the sink in kitchen, water everywhere.

The reason for the plugged sewer, the cast iron was broken at the outside foundation wall. The outer 4" cast had dropped down a couple of inches and paper got jammed there. It appears to have been broken for years as tree roots had navigated there and were growing into the pipe and PVC inside the house. I had cleaned some of the roots out and was surprised to see the pipe hanging on the other side of wall.

I used the local Mr. Rooter as they have a good rep and the owner actually works on the excavation jobs. He said they have seen many broken 4" cast-iron sewer pipes in the area. The only time any heavy equipment would have been in that area was in 2000 when the house was built while backfilling the foundation.

The claim, it was due to poor quality cast iron. I dunno, it seemed pretty stout when he tried to break the removed section with a big hammer. I called Monday morning they sent a guy out who provided estimate, and they did the job Wednesday. Code allows a five-foot PVC repair from foundation, and they added an external cleanout. There was a good amount of stone under the old cast iron.

While they offered to use the backhoe to dig the plants and Rosebushes out of the excavation and backfill area, the wife and I did it so they would be a more manageable size. We scraped the mulch to the side. I dug the black dirt down to clay. The clay was rock solid due to lack of rain.

I didn't want to wait months for the clay backfill to settle so I dug a trench in center of clay fill, got a 30" long 2" auger and drilled lots of deep holes. The holes will allow water to get deeper. Took advantage of the rain today and added lots of water so it's settling nicely.

xm6gxh23x7yj.jpg
moxo0bjv4i9h.jpg
5l7yeuwmscew.jpg
fw6y05wgsjbu.jpg
a3m1lyafeo0l.jpg
rnwg7eiglbhy.jpg

Waiting for the inspector. Stone was added/packed around pipe after approved. They also ran a camera in sewer pipe out to street, and it was clear.

i0zycqsj1afm.jpg
18qs8psnc1va.jpg
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    No fun at all.

I had that fun and the sewer line was orangeburg pipe, satan's own plumbing. It was also over 9 feet down and the backhoe couldn't dig effectively at that depth so they had to jump in the hole and finish the trench by hand. Had to dig up the whole lawn because the pipe was collapsing from just the inspection camera being sent down it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,374
    edited August 16
    So sorry you had to deal with that, and a speedy recovery for your wife. Ours broke inside the wall behind the dishwasher 3 years ago next week. Because it was inside, our insurance covered everything and bought us a brand new kitchen… I turned the kitchen in a month, just in time for my second boy to enter this world.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    Buy a home, they said.....it'll be great, they said....

Home ownership definitely has its ups and downs.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    Well Rich is sure gong out of his way to stay busy in retirement.... :D:D
    Cast Iron can be funny stuff, no two ways about it.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,703
    edited August 16
    Water issues are no fun. Sorry to hear of all the crap you had to endure this week. Hopefully everyone heals up and you can restore your landscaping soon.
    I've been putting off a basement sewage lift pump issue for some time. Luckily the whole main floor is gravity drained, so I can just not use the water in the basement. I have just turned off the bathroom and mini-kitchen water down there. Don't really need it anyway. That's a part of the house that rarely gets used other than for storage.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,359
    I can fix any plumbing issues inside the house, but I draw the line at digging in the yard, too much work.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    Sounds like you went through it. Glad it wasn't' worse for your wife, sure could 'a been. Your landscaping is topnotch though dude. Looking good!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    I had a clean water leak in the basement a couple years ago. Not fun at all, but at least it wasn’t sewage. On the bright side, it led to me getting back into 2-channel listening again and finding this site. Hope all is well with your wife!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,115
    Jstas wrote: »
    No fun at all.

I had that fun and the sewer line was orangeburg pipe, satan's own plumbing. It was also over 9 feet down and the backhoe couldn't dig effectively at that depth so they had to jump in the hole and finish the trench by hand. Had to dig up the whole lawn because the pipe was collapsing from just the inspection camera being sent down it.

Our neighborhood has this orange burg and both our houses that our next to each other have it when we bought the second house the sewer inspection showed the orange burg starting to collapse so the seller had to replace it prior to selling it. It was a long run from the house to the street. What a mess, and not cheap either. I have water line insurance on the other house. Sorry the OP had to go through this but at least now you have peace of mind knowing it has been taken care of.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    He fixed it the right way, used the good sleeves. Sucks when that happens and frankly, your house is too new for it to happen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,591
    Glad your wife is ok & hope she feels better soon Rich. I understand your pain on the pipe issue, as I have older home. May things look up for you
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    **** situation for sure, but looks like you got it taken care of properly so that's good. I hope your wife feels better soon and makes a full recovery.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,672
    Yeah... water. Whenever I discover a leak, however tiny, all I can think of is...

nw2ywl8dir37.png

so, @SCompRacer, you all definitely have my sympathy & empathy.