How did this scammer know this info?

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 3,031
So, I get an email appearing to be from a home improvement contractor that I had used about a year ago. I barely know the guy and the email says he would have called but has laryngitis(yea, right!) and wants to ask a favor. I reply "what's up", return email says he wants to buy a gift card for a sick child but has problems with his credit card. I immediatly know this is a scam. But just for giggles I ask him to tell me what he's done for me in the past. The reply was he installed a deck(not) and roofing(not).

The actual contractor did install a set of stairs from the deck(not installed by him). The deck was installed by an Amish crew a few years ago. More recently, a different Amish crew installed a metal roof over the front of our house. Both crews use a cell phone but do not use email. How did the scammer know we had deck and roof work done?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,031
    Forgot to mention, did not need to pull permits for either job.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,359
    If the contractor uses a smart phone and stores customer information on it, someone could have hacked it.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,564
    Did you buy the material with a credit card
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,569
    Did you mention it here?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,474
    edited August 15
    Could have accessed a customer contact list that the contractor uses through one of the companies that provides such services. Most of the contractors I use these days have a third party vendor's system in play. Or if the contractor doesn't use one it's likely a scammer outfit accessed the contractor's customer list of emails, names, and addresses.

My guess is there is a scammer outfit somewhere in India or elsewhere that accessed the customer list and mass emailed everyone on it by spoofing the contractor's email address about roof and deck work since that's what the contractor does hoping someone would respond and give them money for gift cards.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    Check out Kitboga on YouTube, he loves messing with these scammers.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,010
    But did the sick child ever get the gift card?
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Check out Kitboga on YouTube, he loves messing with these scammers.

Nothing beats his clip where the scammer is screaming bloody mary; "WHY DID YOU REDEEM IT!?"