Fire Stick 4K some questions

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 3,031
So on You Tube there is a lot of information on terms and apps I'm not familiar with, such as "jailbreak", "fully loaded", 3rd party app such as "Kodi 21", etc. Before I do anything with my computer or streaming devices I want to be sure I understand things....so what are these things and what do they do for me and are they OK to install? I've done a little research but would rather hear from somebody that uses these options.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    You should be fine with Kodi. It's actually often loaded on Android boxes. It's an open source media player. Don't know about the others. I use Kodi but on an Android box not on any of my fire sticks
  • muncybob
    So, what exactly does Kodi offer? Looks like it offers TV shows, movies, etc? Are these recent offerings?
    An app my daughter uses has all MLB and NFL games, does Kodi?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Willow
    muncybob wrote: »
    So, what exactly does Kodi offer? Looks like it offers TV shows, movies, etc? Are these recent offerings?
    An app my daughter uses has all MLB and NFL games, does Kodi?

The reason I was using it was to stream from my PC to my TV. We had tons of kid shows and movies on the HD so we streamed it that way instead of burning DVDs. Never used it for anything else sorry can't help you more there.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,703
    Kodi, in its original purpose, is as a media player. I used it for years to stream movies and TV shows that I had saved on my local server. However, it became know as a way to stream various illegal content through iptv steams. Be careful with that. It can land you on trouble with your ISP if you stream content in violation of the DMCA.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    edited July 25
    I have a jailbroken FireTV Stick 4K Max.

The apps I recommend you install are TiviMate, Kodi, and SmartTube.

TiviMate is an excellent IPTV app that provides an interface which is really intuitive, and the video streams it provides are really high quality compared to other apps. Of course, this depends on your provider as well.

Kodi lets you install 'repositories'. Essentially, they're public libraries of shows, movies, and music you can stream. Do more research into Kodi. I really enjoy it, personally. A lot of people use it as a local media option too, but you'll find the mast majority of people over the internet use repositories. Many of them are perfectly legal, like the South Park one streams from the official South Park website which has the streams publicly available for free. I do not endorse using a repository which obtains their streams/provides you content through illegal means.

SmartTube is YouTube, however features a built-in adblocker. That's really it. I love it though, it also supports 5.1 and 7.1 audio, and 4K in higher bitrates.

Personally, if you want to use local media storage, I'd check out Jellyfin or Plex. Plex is paid but is very easy to set up and works very well. Jellyfin is more complicated to set up but is free. Kodi is very good with it too, but man Plex has a charm to it that I really like. Just more intuitive, that's all.
  • billbillw
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

Personally, if you want to use local media storage, I'd check out Jellyfin or Plex. Plex is paid but is very easy to set up and works very well. Jellyfin is more complicated to set up but is free. Kodi is very good with it too, but man Plex has a charm to it that I really like. Just more intuitive, that's all.

You should probably preface that by saying you need to be running Jellyfin or Plex on a local server, which many will not want to dive into.
    Kodi doesn't need that. It can stream from any shared library on the network. I actually prefer the simplicity and function of Kodi for streaming. I have gone away from it though since there isn't an AppleTV app for it. I use Infuse Pro now, which work pretty good for local streaming. I still have Plex running, but that is only for my Roku device(s).
  • billbillw
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

You should probably preface that by saying you need to be running Jellyfin or Plex on a local server, which many will not want to dive into.
    Kodi doesn't need that. It can stream from any shared library on the network. I actually prefer the simplicity and function of Kodi for streaming. I have gone away from it though since there isn't an AppleTV app for it. I use Infuse Pro now, which work pretty good for local streaming. I still have Plex running, but that is only for my Roku device(s).
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,145
    Jailbroken is just a term that’s used for things downloaded onto the firestick.
    Do not pay for someone else loading things on the stick, you can download them yourself and now you have a jail token firestick.

It’s a misleading nomenclature.
  • billbillw
    edited July 25
    Forum was glitching with Cloudflare errors when I double posted...
  • Willow
    Glad your autocorrect didn't spell suppositories... Wait that is a good topic for the off topic thread
  • skipshot12
    edited July 26
    If going to firestick to stream normally inaccessable content make sure you have a vpn.
    Also will need to download a dongle app as it makes maneuvering much easier.

I did the full blown hacking thing with my firestick and it sucks! Very hard to navigate and low quality.
    Definitely not as good as when I used to hack satellite back in the 90’s.
  • muncybob
    Lots of info to consider, thanks. Now if I can jusr solve the mystery of why a speed test using a TV app is about as fast as the router but a speed test using the stick(just purchased) shows a much slower speed.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,978
    edited July 26
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Did you have one of those giant dishes?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    edited July 27
    msg wrote: »

Those were early 80's ountang breath
  • skipshot12
    msg wrote: »

Did not have one of those, was kinda the tail end of monster dishes.
    This was DishNet. We were using what was called an AVR. What the AVR did was keep the card out of the system so it couldn’t be flashed by the satellite folks.

What was really a hoot was the people that were changing the activation codes were also the ones on the hack sites.
    Once the dishnet codes were changed those same codes were on the sites within minutes.

Early 90’s, 90-93 to be exact.
    That’s back when you could have your DirectTV card flashed to accept all channels but, there was a drawback to the directv path. When they flashed the card you had to mail it off to have it re-flashed. But that sucked as you’d wait anywhere from 1-3 weeks to get it back.

With the two way communications now in all satellite dish companies there’s no way I would attempt that today.
    Doesn’t take long to get that knock on the door.

We also had cable tv at that time.
    The satellite hacking was more for the challenge.

Over 1,000 channels, it was bad ****.
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 27
    They do not knock on the door, they just send a signal to roast the box, ask me how I know.
  • skipshot12
    ^ I’m listening…..
  • pitdogg2
    edited July 28
    A ton of friends were buying those unlocked cards, Dish eventually got very wise, they started sending signals to roast the receiver (locked) a new card wouldn't work you had to exchange the unit. New unit no longer used cards. They went to embedded chips.
    I've been a dish customer for 30+ yrs. I worked very closely with our local business who did most of Dish local installation for the area. I've heard and seen it all.
  • skipshot12
    Bet you have some stories….

I ran into some really creative people over the years in regards to current diversion.