Eversolo DMP-A8 ….. SOTA

gyosa
gyosa Posts: 747
PS Audio S300 , WiiM Ultra , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    But Amir, how does it sound?!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • gyosa
    stangman67 wrote: »

Dunno what he thinks about its sound , but I replaced a 851n with one last November and I think it sounds great , better than the 851 …. Also have an A6 , and it sounds great as well .

Bk

PS Audio S300 , WiiM Ultra , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    How’s the app?
  • gyosa
    edited July 20
    I don’t have any complaints.
    I’ve used the Cambridge Audio app - which sucks , and the Yamaha app as well as a few others …

No complaints . Works as it should. Snappy , speedy , no lag.
    The “cast” function allows you to mirror the units display on your device - a game changing feature IMO …

I’m telling ya , look at the equipment in my sig - I’m not a neophyte, been in this game for 40+ years - this thing is fantastic….
    Don’t care - where it’s made , it’s “pedigre” , price or “snob appeal” …. It just “works” , sounds great and has all the features anyone would want …. Truly and end game piece - for me , anyways.

Bk

Clipdat wrote: »
    How’s the app?

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,469
    gyosa wrote: »

Dunno what he thinks about its sound , but I replaced a 851n with one last November and I think it sounds great , better than the 851 …. Also have an A6 , and it sounds great as well .

Bk

I've been thinking for a few months about getting one of their streaming products. Does the A8 give you enough more to justify the cost above the A6? My use case would be running one into an AV preamp most likely rather than using its onboard preamp capabilities.
  • gyosa
    Probably not for how you want to use it .
    The A6 will do.

I needed the HDMI ARC input on the A8 so I could ditch my AVR.
    I’m using the A6 in my pool/patio system and the A8 in my main setup - so for me , I wanted the analog R2R volume control , AKM dac and increased inputs of the A8.
    I’m running the A8 straight into my A21 amp as a preamp and it sounds fantastic.
    I can’t imagine anything else sounding better , no matter the cost.

Get one from Amazon , I think you’ll be impressed- if not return it.

Bk

• jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 281
    Emlyn wrote: »

I've been thinking for a few months about getting one of their streaming products. Does the A8 give you enough more to justify the cost above the A6? My use case would be running one into an AV preamp most likely rather than using its onboard preamp capabilities.

The 6 and 8 have different dac chips. A6-ESS, A8-AK. From what I read, I thought I would like the AK chip better so I got an A8. Sounds great. I like it better than the cxn v2. Not using the preamp function. Running it balanced into my pre
    DynaudIo Evoke 30, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, PS audio Stellar phono pre, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Eversolo dmp A8, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,658
    Emlyn wrote: »

Bk

I went through this when I was trying to decide on a streamer/DAC upgrade.

I decided to purchase the A8.

Several reasons; I wanted the AKM chipset over the ESS, I wanted the HDMI ARC in along with balanced out and in, I also wanted the upgraded dual power supply.

I'm running my A8 into my Prima Luna preamp, so I'm not taking advantage of the preamp capabilities, but if/when I move on from the A8 in my 2ch system, it could end up being a great preamp in another in my house.
  • gyosa
    I’m using both my A8 and A6 as a preamp straight into the amp ..
    They both sound great .

Bk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,658
    I’m using both my A8 and A6 as a preamp straight into the amp ..
    They both sound great .

Bk

I'm sure the A6 sounds great.

Since the new streamer/DAC was going into my primary 2ch system, I was willing to chase some marginal gains.

So far, zero regrets with the A8.