FS: Cary SI-300.2d Integrated Amplifier

For sale here is a Cary SI-300.2d integrated amp. Here is a link to Cary Audio's info page about it: https://caryaudio.com/products/si-300-2d-integrated-amplifier/

Front pic of the actual amp being sold:
4aooabat2rci.jpg

Stock pic of the rear:
o4d9cqencczl.jpg

(2) pair of balanced/XLR inputs
(2) pair of unbalanced RCA inputs
Digital inputs: (2) coax, USB (DSD compatible), Toslink, AES/EBU, Bluetooth
RCA preamp outputs (best for powered sub)
Digital outputs: coax and Toslink
Output power: 300WPC into 8 ohms; 450WPC into 4 ohms
Comes with remote

I am the original owner of this amp, but sold it to a work colleague, and now he's ready to let it go, so I'm helping him out by listing it here. It was too much amp for him, so no use in letting it just sit around. After my initial purchase, I originally posted about it here:
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/188991/cary-si-300-2d-integrated?utm_source=community-search&utm_medium=organic-search&utm_term=si-300.2d
I've been testing the amp out here at home for a few weeks before listing, since he had not been using it for a while, and honestly, I've had thoughts of just buying it back from him for future use. But, I'm fully entrenched with separates at this point, and probably will be for a while.

This is obviously a beast of an amp. It weighs over 50lbs, and I've already listed the output ratings. It has a lot of nice features, including HT/cinema by-pass, upsampling, and others. It will connect to wi-fi, and has smartphone apps for controlling, but I think the Android app is out-of-date at the moment. I have inquired to Cary, and they were going to pass my question onto someone. I don't have an iPhone, so haven't been able to test that app. But, I can tell you that the Bluetooth works.

Cosmetically, I'd give this a 9.5/10, just to be safe. It really is flawless.

Looking for $2,500, plus shipping. I do have original packaging. Also willing to drive within 2 hours of Nashville, TN. That would get me to Chattanooga, for any of you ATL guys.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• smartie_panta
    smartie_panta Posts: 196
    That looks awesome! GLWS (to your colleague).
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 764
    Wow! *Drool* That's really nice! I wish I had the space for a second rig! GLWTS!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,037
    Sir,
    Is there a built in phone pre?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,945
    It doesn't appear that it does.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,137
    It does not have a phonostage.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Price drop to $2,250
  • jdjohn
    Bump
  • jdjohn
    Bump, and free shipping to lower 48
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,948
    This still here / C'mon guys, this beast, at this price....your momma gonna slap you for passing this up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 574
    It's being looked at for sure...wrestling between this and a Musical Fidelity m6si
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Marantz SR7012 Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15 Subs: 2 SVS Sb13 Ultra (HT Only) Analysis Plus Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,948
    edited September 6
    dagame27 wrote: »
    It's being looked at for sure...wrestling between this and a Musical Fidelity m6si

To me, the Cary is going to have a more analog sound to it. I mean, that is their claim to fame right? Plus it has balls, and probably a better dac in it too. Thats just me though. The newer MF stuff seems to have gotten a tad bit more nuetral sounding than the warmer older stuff. If you want to downsize a bit, this piece and a music server, some decent 4 ohm speakers, can make a nice system.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,544
    Jody is solid, buy it!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,933
    Plus it has VU meters!
  • jdjohn
    tonyb wrote: »
    To me, the Cary is going to have a more analog sound to it. I mean, that is their claim to fame right? Plus it has balls, and probably a better dac in it too. Thats just me though. The newer MF stuff seems to have gotten a tad bit more nuetral sounding than the warmer older stuff. If you want to downsize a bit, this piece and a music server, some decent 4 ohm speakers, can make a nice system.
    I can't speak to the MF M6SI, but I would characterize the sound of this Cary as one or two clicks on the warmer side of neutral, and that applies to the DAC as well.

One other thing to reiterate (as mentioned in my review of this unit) is that I found the volume needs to be at least at 25 before the sound really fills out. At a lower setting than 25, the extended lows and highs are not quite filled-out. This is probably dependent on the sensitivity of the speakers being used. Once above that base volume floor, the sound swells in a very linear fashion across the frequency spectrum, and as Tony so eloquently put it, this amp has balls...serious cojones.

As noted earlier, this amp does weigh in excess of 50lbs, so a meet-up within a couple of hours of Nashville, TN would be highly preferable, but I'm happy to ship it as well. I think the original packaging has another shipment left in its life. I have some protective box corner caps I can attach.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,563

Dude! The Cary is a no brainer! Plus the seller is top shelf.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dagame27
    I passed on it for now. My issue is that my system is 50/50 HT and 2 channel. If I go with this, I'd have different amplification for the center, which would be my AVR. I currently have a 5 channel B&K powering everything. I'm actually happy with my system's sound. The Mrs. wants to downsize and hide everything in a cabinet....not easy.
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Marantz SR7012 Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15 Subs: 2 SVS Sb13 Ultra (HT Only) Analysis Plus Cables
  • VR3
    You go main out of your avr into an input. Set the Cary volume to 12 o'clock and run your calibration then anytime you go to watch movies go to that input and set the volume at 12 o'clock
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,563
    VR3 wrote: »
    You go main out of your avr into an input. Set the Cary volume to 12 o'clock and run your calibration then anytime you go to watch movies go to that input and set the volume at 12 o'clock

I was going to say get rid of the Mrs. but that works too.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dagame27
    Ha! Unless I am mistaken, this has an ht bypass. Isn't all of that unnecessary? I'm more concerned about having to use the avr for my center channel. I currently have the 5 channel b&k handling the front 3.
  • VR3
    edited September 14
    When you are no longer powering the mains the internal amp of the avr will not be working as hard, should work out great
  • jdjohn
    SOLD!!!
  • dagame27
    It took me awhile...but really looking forward to putting this through the paces.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    Congrats! If I hadn’t bought what I consider my end game integrated a few months ago, I very well may have grabbed this. Beautiful unit. I hope you’ll report back with your impressions.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,945
    Congratulations, sir!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,037
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Congrats! If I hadn’t bought what I consider my end game integrated a few months ago, I very well may have grabbed this. Beautiful unit. I hope you’ll report back with your impressions.
    Curious....what did you purchase sir?
  • jdjohn
    It took me awhile...but really looking forward to putting this through the paces.
    Great transaction! I have no doubt this amp will live up to expectations...but of course, I'm interested to read about real results.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    kevhed72 wrote: »

Norma IPA-140
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,700
    kevhed72 wrote: »

Norma IPA-140

Paul. It’s an awesome piece.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • dagame27
    Some observations after extended listening sessions. Jody packed this thing to withstand the apocalypse! The two biggest gains from my Anthem/B&K setup is additional detail and low end extension. Whether this is due to the amp or dac, I don't know, but it sounds great! The soundstage is actually narrower, but imaging is more focused within the smaller stage. I like that I was able to declutter (3 boxes to 1 and less cords!), and still improve.

With the Cary described as being on the warmer side of neutral, I'm surprised that the Anthem/B&K was actually warmer. I'm likely to post the Anthem (and Minimax DAC) in the market at some point. However, the B&K is never leaving this house! For what those go for used, that's an obscenely nice amp.
  • dagame27
    Additional comment....and I never expected this before purchase, but I REALLY like the VU meters!