RC Vehicles - other hobbies

2»

Comments

• halen
    halen Posts: 710
    Oh rc. Brings back memories. Maybe 25~30ish years ago I was all in on Traxxas 4-Tec. Had a few of them, even two sets of the 4-Tec Pro with Carbon Fiber. It has been way too long for me to say anything technical but it topped over 70mph. Was also a woman magnet down in Norman Oklahoma. Oh I am deviating and forgotten about the women I once knew. Ha. Campus life days.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    edited July 17
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »
    Raced 1/8 scale gas from 1976 to 1981. I did a 24 hour race in Florida, Florida Winter Nationals and Texas Biggie (National race). Engines were 3.5cc running 25 to 40 % Nitro turning around 40,000 RPM. Member of Southwest Series which consisted of approx 120 members in 3 states.
    Cost me about $350 to $400 back then to get in it, not including spares of course. Use to carry 2 extra engines with me and 3 different compounds of front and rear tires.
    3kfmzd0lvrf2.jpg
    zr32jzr21chw.jpg
    v4d0jhlem8mj.jpg
    esgjrd73bltj.jpg

When I was obsessed with the hobby we would go to Tampa for our big races. Was easy for us as we lived a couple hours south in Naples.

Milito, what years were you at winter nationals in FL?

I went once, it was probably 1977,1978. I don't remember, too long ago. I was in the C main if I remember correctly, didn't win.
    @sucks2beme I always heard that RC helicopters were the hardest to master compared to planes, cars or boats. Never tried flying one.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,508
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Raced 1/8 scale gas from 1976 to 1981. I did a 24 hour race in Florida, Florida Winter Nationals and Texas Biggie (National race). Engines were 3.5cc running 25 to 40 % Nitro turning around 40,000 RPM. Member of Southwest Series which consisted of approx 120 members in 3 states.
    Cost me about $350 to $400 back then to get in it, not including spares of course. Use to carry 2 extra engines with me and 3 different compounds of front and rear tires.
    3kfmzd0lvrf2.jpg
    zr32jzr21chw.jpg
    v4d0jhlem8mj.jpg
    esgjrd73bltj.jpg

When I was obsessed with the hobby we would go to Tampa for our big races. Was easy for us as we lived a couple hours south in Naples.

Milito, what years were you at winter nationals in FL?

I went once, it was probably 1977,1978. I don't remember, too long ago. I was in the C main if I remember correctly, didn't win.
    @sucks2beme I always heard that RC helicopters were the hardest to master compared to planes, cars or boats. Never tried flying one.

All I know is don't let your grandkids fly the helicopter
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    My current RC addictions are speed runners.
    I have an Arrma Limitless with a few minor mods running a Toro 1650kv motor on 6S that has done a top speed pass of 134mph. My limiting factors were heat (motor and ESC) and tires. The stock tires begin to deform around those speeds and start to impact the aero.
    I have a few other parts and some much better gearing to bring the temps down and the speeds up but I am waiting for a set of modified foam tires to get back in stock before making my push for 175mph+ (ultimate goal is to push a stock chassis to 200+).

I also have a Traxxas 4Tec 2.0 that I have been putting together with a Ford GT body painted up in Gulf livery. This one is going to be indoor carpet or drifting. Haven't decided as I am literally building it from the ground up with the very best parts, including a lot of CF, Ti, and aluminum parts.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 190
    When I was a kid, one of my 1st jobs was working at a local hobby shop. It was a dream come true. I was 10yr back in the 80s and I loved every second of it.

We had tons of race tracks near me ( on road & off road) every Sunday morning I would get up super early and my father and I would head over to the track and I would race with a lot of my friends. We mainly did 1/10 on road with RC10L pan cars & we had a blast!

A couple years have passed and I was racing 1/12 pan car, 1/10 AWD touring sedan & 1/8 scale AWD gas ( that was really fun)

I got pretty good and flew to a couple races for national events. It was wild. I met a lot of racers from Japan & Europe which gave me a whole new outlook for the hobby. As I got older I grew out of it and got into shifter Go Karts.

As many many years have passed, bought a house got married and my wife and I have three boys. I’m slowly trying to get back into the hobby as my eldest took interest in it.

It’s shocking to me how much has changed! Gone are the days of rebuilding your motor after every race! I would take out the armature and cut the commutator on my lathe to extract every bit of performance I could. I would solder the wires from my ESC directly to my batteries to ensure the best connection. I would individually balance each NICD cell to ensure maximum performance.

All that is gone now will the advent of brushless motors and Lipo batteries. It’s daunting to me to even think about upgrading all my old 80s/90s tech to today’s standards. Yes everything still works from the 80s/90s I always took care of all my belongings and i still have everything!!! One of these days… one of these days
  • Milito
    edited July 30
    Yes I wonder how 1/8 gas is doing now. What RPM and HP the motors are running and are they still limited to 3.5cc? Cars limited to 5 lbs. Guess I need to look it up.
    I remember going thru the engines and modded them to get more power. I got rid of my 1/8 R/C car 10 or so years ago.
    Never tried electric cars, but did do slot car racing at the local slot car track in the 8th grade.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Yup same same. .21 Nitro is still the standard but the power is through the roof. OS Speed is the name of the game
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • vader540is
    edited July 31
    What ever happened to RB? I had a badass RB 11 port .21 by Ron Paris.
  • Milito
    When I was running them, Pico, K&B and OPS were the engines in that order as far as performance.
  • stangman67
    Alpha, REDS, OS Speed (and all of their derivatives - NINJA, drake etc), PICCO is mildly relevant still.

OS Speed and REDS have most of the top drivers and others are sprinkled through the rest

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • vader540is
    How about the chassis? Back in the 90s serpent was king.
  • stangman67
    If you are talking on road, I’m way off base. I’m talking off road

• vader540is
    edited August 2
    Yup taking about on road.

I remember back then the kyosho inferno was the hot RC to have for off road.