Stumped

Options
ejy
ejy Posts: 6
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Well, after about 3 months of careful discussion, I've convinced the wife that it is time for a audio upgrade. There is a subwoofer out there that I am going to buy - no question - as soon as possible (sorry, its not a polk). I really really like my polk cs center and rt bookshelves on the surround. The surround will also be getting my current subwoofer as part of this upgrade. So I have been shopping for mains and here is where I am stumped...

I am going to go preamp/amp (probably Theta or Sunfire) to replace my receiver and want a speaker which sounds great, is budget friendly, and handles high dynamic power. I have been sold on the RT2000i's because my subwoofer purchase will be 6 to 12 months after the mains, but... I discovered that the RT3000i tops are available separately from the subs... hrmm... I figured the subs in the 2000's would get me by, but if I can get a better (mid/high) speaker for less money and just wait on the dedicated effects sub until after I get my new sub, we may have a winner.

Now here is another clincher... I took my wife over to a friends house and she heard his system (Theta 6 channel amp w/ B&W 801's, all the goodies, etc...) and she was very impressed. Will I get that kind of sound pressure/quality from the polks or should I rethink my entire strategy? I definitely want her to be happy with the system if I am ever going to buy this stuff again :) Should I up the budget, or will I be happy with this setup? I am not a true audiophile - I just want all around clean & intense sound for under 10k... ;)

What do ya think?

To recap:
Shopping list:
1 preamp
1 3-500w/ch 5+ch amp into 8 ohms
2 polk RT3000i tops (mid/high)
1 Dedicated 2000w sub

Already aquired:
1 effects sub
1 polk cs center
2 polk rt surrounds
1 power scrubber ;)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Knowing what a sunfire preamp/amp combo goes for, I don't know that saving a few bucks on speakers would really come in to play....I say check out the LSi speakers if you can, they will probably be more in the same ballpark performance wise to the B&W's

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    i would second looking into the LSi's, especially when you are spending the $ on the pre/pro and amp...

of course, then your front's will heavily outweigh your center and surrounds and it will be time to upgrade again...:D

with a 10k budget, i think you have some good options...
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    You said B&W Nautilus 801 and Polk Audio in the same sentence. Hahah. You can't expect any Polk, even the LSi to sound like a $12,000 pair of speakers!

Aaron
  • ejy
    edited January 2002
    Options
    The 801's are excellent and all - my intent isn't to put them or the polks down. I do not like the room where my friend has his equipment installed - it is to small and there are way too many echos (hardwood floor, lots of glass, etc...) so what my wife heard is not 'true' 801 quality.

My point is, this was the first > $3,000 system that she has ever heard and I have been trying to convince her to spend some cash on an upgrade. So now -with some help- I have. I don't see the need to spend $20-30k for a system - there are a few classic cars I'd rather have. She liked the B&W's in a bad room, I kind of expect she will like the polks in a good room (16'x14'x8.5'h w/ carpet and drapes).

I like power. It may take me some time to get the exact amp I want and a decent preamp to put it all together... The sub will be too much, but it is fully adjustable. I firmly believe you can not have too much bass - but there are times you need to mellow it out :}.

Now back to the point. when I put the LSi9's and the mid/high box of the RT3000p's side by side and compare numbers (effeciency, power, driver size, price...), the 3000p box appears substancially better (92 vs. 88db, 500 vs 200w, 6.5" vs. 5.25" drivers, $400 vs. $520(?)/ea...). I have never heard the LSi's because no one carries them?? Since I am adding an excellent sub, I don't care so much about frequencies below 80Hz.

So just how are the LSi's better? I only want to make this purchase once... I will buy a good (and powerful) amp mainly for H.T. dynamics - not to crank music. Yet, they darn well better sound excellect when listening to the titanic soundtrack. I don't want to hear any clipping in my system at comfortable listening levels!! I see a pre-amp as a way to get quality and upgradeability for a reasonable price. Comments?
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Although I haven't heard the LSi's, I am completely confident in saying that the LSi9's sound substantially better based on what others have said. If you're set of Polk speakers, the LSi's are a no brainer; it's the way to go. Even though you have a subwoofer I would look at the LSi15 in addition to the LSi9. You'll be able to blend your subwoofer better since it won't have to produce the higher bass frequencies.

How are the LSi's better? In every way I can think of, yes. They have a much better tweeter, better midrange drivers, cascaded tapered away, better cabinents (thicker, more rigid), and better crossover components. What more could you ask for?

If a speaker clips, that's the power amp's fault, not the speaker's. The LSi's deserve a good power amp. By good I mean sound quality, not brute force. You could go out there and get a bruiser 300W amp for around a grand or spend twice that much for a more refined 150W amp. It's all in what you're looking for. Also remember that the LSi's are a 4 ohm load, so typically a good amp that outputs 150W @ 8 ohms will output 300W @ 4 ohms.

Aaron
  • ejy
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I bought a set of RT2000i's on Friday. Set them up on Saturday. Returned them on Sunday. Way to boomy, I could not find s spot on the sub dial where they wern't boomy. I tried changing positions, turning up the subs slowly while looping the same 10 secs of a single song... no cheese.

Today, I made the 110 mile trek to the closest store that has the LSi15's and brought them home. Setup for a good sound field took less than 30 mins and they sound great. No boom, no over-powering time delayed kicks, just pure clean tight bass. The only downfall was the $400 higher price tag (last years vs. this years model). Will write more on the LSi's is there is interest...

Thanks for the help!
    --ejy
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by ejy
    Will write more on the LSi's is there is interest...
    --ejy

write on ejy, i'm sure many polksters out here, including me, would like to hear your opinions on these speaks...
  • ejy
    edited March 2002
    Options
    First let me say that I am very, very impressed with these speakers. In fact - my wife who could basically care less - is very, very impressed with these speakers.

Not being an audiophile, I will do my best describing what I hear, but if you are in the market for new mains, you must must must hear these first. In my setup, they are bi-amped, 230W for each bass driver and 230W for each mid/high setup. At first I was worried because the mid to high x-over point seemed a bit low, but after using them for over a month that fear is completely unsubstantiated. I've put them through their paces - both with HT and with audio - and am completely impressed. Classical sounds live, metal cranks loud, that Titanic soundtrack is perfectly clear, and the Eagles show up in your living room if you close your eyes - you can even hear the guitar pick against the strings in some songs!! Last weekend we watched that new musical/movie set in paris (cant remember the name right now) on PPV and the dynamic range had us wishing for a sound proof room (poor neighbors :). This is all without a subwoofer (Actually, my sub is passive and I disconnected it to bi-amp the LSi's).

I was also afraid that my cs front channel would not be able to keep up, but it blends flawlessly, as do my two RT's on the rear (with the help of a sound meter).

Now on my shopping list [in order] are:
    . 5-7.1 Preamp/processor
    . 5 to 7 channel (>200W) amp
    -- or a receiver, why do preamps cost so much?:confused:
    . Kenwood 400+3 DVD changer
    . Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature
    . 50+" Plazma TV

Suggestions are welcome on the pre/pro and amp combo. I am really in the sub $3k market (combined) - less is better. Also, I don't really like buying used equipment...

--ejy
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I tell ya, Polk sure made a hit with the LSi series. I have the 9's (have the C and FX in boxes) hooked up, and I cannot get enough of them. They just sound amazing. I love them. I would make sweet love to them down by the fire but then I would be called "wierd" pffft ;)

I have them hooked up to a Arcam A65 amp. Only about 40W per channel, but daaaamnnnn they sound good :)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200