New Wood Rack Possibilities

Options
GlennDog
GlennDog Posts: 3,105
edited May 25 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My existing rack is abysmal . . . I'm thinking hefty wood shelveing rack would be waaaay better (than thick glass).

This local guy seems to have reasonable prices

I've never done this type of carpentry before . . . some pieces look very cool. Anybody got helpful suggestions??

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/d/utica-lumber-slabs-cherry-maple-elm/7750517070.html

Initially, my thought was somewhat symmetrical shelves, at least 2 inches think with threaded rod connecting 4-5 shelves, approx 5 feet long

I like the idea of combining modern electronic with the rustic look
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,758
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,208
    Options
    I prefer natural racks over any other material.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,629
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    My existing rack is abysmal . . . I'm thinking hefty wood shelveing rack would be waaaay better (than thick glass).

This local guy seems to have reasonable prices

I've never done this type of carpentry before . . . some pieces look very cool. Anybody got helpful suggestions??

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/grd/d/utica-lumber-slabs-cherry-maple-elm/7750517070.html

Initially, my thought was somewhat symmetrical shelves, at least 2 inches think with threaded rod connecting 4-5 shelves, approx 5 feet long

I like the idea of combining modern electronic with the rustic look

Make sure the slabs have been properly air dried and climate acclimated.

Have them milled as flat as possible and if you have limited tools, possibly cut and drilled for you so all you have to do is finish them.

Cutting and drilling 1” holes in hard wood slabs can be a lot harder on your tools than you might think.

I used 7/8 threaded rod and nuts on mine, it’s a really good solution.

wcnca927zwra.jpeg
    031lhtcjgxle.jpeg
    xyq6ilmtzs2u.jpeg

• GlennDog
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Make sure the slabs have been properly air dried and climate acclimated.

Have them milled as flat as possible and if you have limited tools, possibly cut and drilled for you so all you have to do is finish them.

Cutting and drilling 1” holes in hard wood slabs can be a lot harder on your tools than you might think.

I used 7/8 threaded rod and nuts on mine, it’s a really good solution.

wcnca927zwra.jpeg
    031lhtcjgxle.jpeg
    xyq6ilmtzs2u.jpeg

Nice Rack!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    Another thought, when we drilled the holes in the slabs, we clamped all 3 together and lined everything up perfectly.

Made sure we were drilling square and drilled so that all 3 slabs had holes that lined up perfectly for the threaded rod.

If you have live edges, this is probably the best way to make sure everything lines up how you want.

It was a beast to drill 3 maple slabs like that. We ended up calling my brother, who is a commercial plumber, to bring his big boy “Hole Hawg” to get it finished.

My drill was way overheating and after the first of 5 was drilled, I knew it would most likely burn out before we got close to finishing a second.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,063
    edited May 30
    Options
    Another option is 1 1/2'' butcher block from Home Depot. My old rack was hideous as well and I finally did something about it this winter. As Upstatemax mentioned it's important to get the holes straight and lined up perfectly. I made a jig on my drill press and did each hole individually. Give me a hand drill and the amount of holes I knew I would drill some of them crooked. The other thing I was afraid of **** up was the corner radiuses. A router and a belt sander were the tools needed to make me look like I know what I'm doing. My other concern was cutting all the edges straight. This was made easy by using a straight edge clamped to the wood. I need to make things fool proof and me going free hand with a circular saw would not have been good.

With some left over scraps I was also able to make a matching dust cover base for my tt. The hardware was left over from a Michael Green rack which I painted black. One coat of stain and 3 coats of satin poly was the finish on butcher block. It really was a fun build that kept me out of the house for quite a while this winter.
    502a2ayb3ekt.jpg
    2vka11bmyvx8.jpg

Post edited by motorstereo on
  • GlennDog
    Options
    thanks for the input , , , you think doubling-up the top shelf isolated the TT better??
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,063
    Options
    ^^^^Yes the tt works great with no vibration transmitted on the rare times I use it. The rack is also stupid heavy along with being spiked to a very stable floor. I think it's more a combination of everything and the 3'' shelf is one along with the heavy tt cover base stopping airborne vibrations.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    ^^^^Yes the tt works great with no vibration transmitted on the rare times I use it. The rack is also stupid heavy along with being spiked to a very stable floor. I think it's more a combination of everything and the 3'' shelf is one along with the heavy tt cover base stopping airborne vibrations.

Agree.

I was pretty happy with the improved isolation, across the board, with the new rack.

Yes, racks like these are HEAVY!

When I first assembled it and went to move it, I nearly threw out my back! :D

Had to call for some help getting it moved into place.