Appliance Motor Repair?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,781
Hey guys,

quick question for you mechanically inclined types. Pump drive motor on my dishwasher is seized. I can order a replacement and am planning to, but was wondering if any of you have ever had any success rebuilding/restoring small motors like this? Doesn't seem like there's much to them.

I've messed around with fan motors, and it's usually the shaft "bearing" areas, front and rear, that tend to slow older fans.

I've not yet found a lubricant that lasts very long in keeping those things working properly. Tried various types of oils and different weights of grease. They work nicely initially, but usually slow down and heat up again before much time passes.

This dishwasher pump drive motor - the rotor is difficult to spin by hand. Suppose their could be impeller damage, but I don't think this to be likely. Usually pre-rinse dishes and stuff, so there's not much debris in the mix to collect and cause issues.

The motor is hot, and has tripped the on-chassis breaker twice after humming/buzzing for a few seconds.

Just curious as to whether any of you guys have had any success with small motor repairs. More of a just to see if I can do it / limp this thing through the week until a new-used replacement arrives.

Thanks
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,577
    Options
    On a dishwasher the pumps tend to clog up. How easy does it
    turn? Is the replacement just the motor, or the motor and pump
    assembly?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,327
    Options
    Replace it, rest easy. Motor rebuilding is an art and a science. I replaced my Bosch pump about 5 years ago. Still going strong on a 20+ year old unit.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • msg
    Options
    The parts are out of production new, but there are a bunch on Ebay. Either option is available - motor only, or pump and motor assy.

Good heads up on the pump clogging. This thing doesn't see heavy use, and as I mentioned, I don't put heavily soiled stuff in it, typically brushing off anything caked, so I made an automatic assumption here in not even considering a pump obstruction. Good call - what do we lean in IT? "never overlook the obvious" :smiley:

Yesterday eve, the motor was very difficult to spin manually. I chalked that up to heat at the time. No change this AM either, though.

I'll pull the pump and motor assembly and take it apart and see what's what, and get something on order. It's gotta come out anyway.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Replace it, rest easy. Motor rebuilding is an art and a science. I replaced my Bosch pump about 5 years ago. Still going strong on a 20+ year old unit.
    That's what I'm talkin' about.

Is modern Bosch still solid?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,719
    Options
    Just wash your dishes by hand.
  • billbillw
    edited May 20
    Options
    msg wrote: »

I'm sure like anything, there have been cost cutting measures, but they still seem to be solid. The one I have was picked up used for parts, for like $50. Re-soldered some points on the control board that were a known issue, and it worked for awhile until the impeller went bad. I compared pricing for the impeller by itself, and decided to replace the whole pump/motor assembly with a NOS part from eBay for $90 shipped. I also did a silver spray paint job on the plastic cover at the top because the fake chrome was worn off. It works great and it is quiet as quiet can be. The only noise I hear from it a faint hum and gurgles in the sink as it is pumping out at the end of the cycle.
    Eeks! I just searched for my pump model and the cheapest I could find it now is like $250...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,591
    Options
    msg wrote: »

We just got a Bosch a few months ago. To answer your question, yes. Very quiet as well and it does a great job of cleaning and drying.

Big difference compared to this and what was a brand new Samsung that is in it's proper place.....the dump. That thing was nothing but trouble from day one. I repaired it 3 times. Had a professional repair it two times. I repaired it another 3 or 4 times and after that? I was done.

Not one issue with the Bosch. Not even one.

Tom

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,255
    edited May 20
    Options
    Do you run the dishwasher cleaning tablets? I run one thru mine monthly and I notice a big difference afterwards - particularly in areas where the water comes out. It seems to really dissolve any build up in the machine and this should translate at the pump as well? Food for thought

(Side note, I run similar cleaning products in my disposal and washing machine and also find it makes a big differnce.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    Options
    Interesting. No, I haven't used the cleaning tablets. I'll look into those for all.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,007
    Options
    Bosch takes forever (like overnight) to dry the dishes, etc. as they use the residual heat from the hot water to do the drying because there is no heating element. That might not bother some, but it's not exactly convenient. My 20+ year old Whirlpool works perfectly, never repaired and the dishes, etc. are dry in less than an hour.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    Used them all the time with the old one. Only once with the new one.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Bosch takes forever (like overnight) to dry the dishes, etc. as they use the residual heat from the hot water to do the drying because there is no heating element. That might not bother some, but it's not exactly convenient. My 20+ year old Whirlpool works perfectly, never repaired and the dishes, etc. are dry in less than an hour.

You obviously have a different model than I do.....or experience with another one that is different.

Most everything is dry when the cycle is complete with mine. It's not perfect. They "claimed" that even plastic would be dry and spot free.....but the plastic still has droplets on them. That's about my only gripe but one that I have experienced with every dishwasher I have ever used.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,818
    edited May 20
    Options
    My parents have used nothing but whirlpool appliances for the most part. My mother's 20+ yr old dishwasher threw in the towel about 2 years before her death. Because her appliances are black and during Covid she had to wait a year to replace the DW we limped it along until the appliance store she had done business with for 40yrs finally was able to get one in black. We had no selection he just ordered the first black DW that became available. (Of course if she wanted institutional stainless steel she could have got any of them)
    The old model was stainless on the inside, the new plastic. The old all the whirligigs on the inside we're wore out and the cost to replace them was stratospheric. It also had broken wheels and broken silverware basket. Everything was no longer made and those we found were ridiculous in price. Parts were close to $300 and she just thought it was stupid to spend about half the cost of a new DW. While the new one is not deluxe in any way shape or form it washes dishes much better than the old one did even though it is obviously a couple of steps down from what she had. She was happy I was happy for her and of course I inherited it so it's the first dishwasher I ever had, no more dish pan hands 😂
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • billbillw
    edited May 20
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

You obviously have a different model than I do.....or experience with another one that is different.

Most everything is dry when the cycle is complete with mine. It's not perfect. They "claimed" that even plastic would be dry and spot free.....but the plastic still has droplets on them. That's about my only gripe but one that I have experienced with every dishwasher I have ever used.

Tom

Same here. Only the plastic or concave tops of coffee mugs are not dry. I usually open it up about 30 minutes after it stops and take a towel to the concave tops and then shake the plastic off. All the other stuff is absolutely dry as can be.

And the Bosch do have a heating element, but it is within the water pump path. It heats the water up to something above 160F and the whole tub is covered on the outside with a thick asphalt/mastic that holds the heat in. My dishes are usually too hot to touch until about 2 hrs after it stops. I like it because you don't have to worry about plastic getting melted on the bottom rack.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,914
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Do you run the dishwasher cleaning tablets? I run one thru mine monthly and I notice a big difference afterwards - particularly in areas where the water comes out. It seems to really dissolve any build up in the machine and this should translate at the pump as well? Food for thought

(Side note, I run similar cleaning products in my disposal and washing machine and also find it makes a big differnce.

We use them once a month as well as in the ones made for washing machines, obviously in the washing machine. We have a 9yr old LG that has been repaired once by a repair man and once by me, 2 different issues. Our drying agent dispenser stopped working years ago and the racks are starting to rust. We've also had to reset it a couple times as the keypad stopped working. LG will not be on our short list when it's time for a new one.
  • VR3
    Options
    We bought speed queen 4 years ago and it's been an absolute beast, can't recommend enough
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,818
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    We bought speed queen 4 years ago and it's been an absolute beast, can't recommend enough

Absolutely the best washer and dryer on the market. There's a reason why they're the laundromats first choice.
    Growing up until they stopped selling residential units that is all my parents bought as well. I was very glad to see them come back onto the residential market.
  • billbillw
    Options
    I had a hand-me-down SpeedQueen clothes dryer that just wouldn't die. It was from the 80's and I used it until something like 2012. It needed a new felt seal and I didn't feel like messing with it, so I replaced it with a large capacity Whirlpool, and that sucker didn't go 10 years before needing a new heating element, rollers, felt seal, door seal, door catches (twice), and sensors. It still doesn't work great, and its rusting like crazy on the top. SMH.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,244
    edited May 21
    Options
    We too have a Speed Queen washer and dryer, bought the TC5 for the non-energy saving features and actual deep fill options. And the matching DC5 dryer. Best appliance purchases ever.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,914
    Options
    When our washer and dryer go we'll be looking at Speed Queen for sure. Next dw will be Bosch not sure yet about stove and fridge. They will have to be the non finger print ss our dw door always needs to be polished as does the fridge.
  • msg
    Options
    I vaguely recall now Speed Queen being that brand I'd never heard of winning out on praise in the thread I was thinking on when I first posted. It might have been @Toolfan66 's kitchen reno.

Been yard work in the eves this week. No disassemble~Johnny5

Hoping to take a look this eve. Until then, hand washing, as @Clipdat suggests. Nobody walks in L.A., but I guess washing dishes by hand in CA isn't unheard of.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    edited May 22
    Options
    Speed queen is just clothes related

I have had a full suite of kitchenaid appliances since 2018?

Only issues I have had is temperature sensor on the fridge and the dishwasher shelf brackets, otherwise have been great. The dishwasher is ran 1 to 3 times a day.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,122
    Options
    Stay away from Samsung dishwashers (especially waterfall models), refrigerators (class action law suits mainly ice maker related), and clothes washers/dryers. Two immediate families with refrigerator problems.

From experience. When Bestbuy came to install dishwasher, the installer asked if really wanted the dishwasher installed; changed to Bosch. Same with the Samsung washer and dryer; changed to LG after the Samsung units were installed.

Earlier in life, I have replaced electric motor on Maytag dryer and transmission on GE Washer per advice from parts supplier that the new equipment was not made as well as the old. Dryer still working after 10+ years.

Its a mad, mad world of appliances out there.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • VR3
    Options
    My dad bought a full suite of Samsung appliances 8 years ago and had to replace all of them in under 4 years, pure trash
  • billbillw
    Options
    I have a 14+ year old Samsung refrigerator still going strong. I avoided the ones with water/ice in the door. I does have a few quirks...namely, I have to pull out the deli tray about once a month and chip away a buildup of ice and water. The drain to the bottom gets frozen up and the only way to solve it is to let the machine thaw for a few days, which is not feasible for me. When I moved 2 years ago, I had a 2nd fridge for a few weeks and let the Samsung thaw before plugging it in. It was good for a year or so then started having the issue again.
    In the 14+ years, I have had to replace some small parts. The glide rails for the freezer slide out got messed up by the kids. The flapper in between the french doors needs a new spring every 3-5 years. I ordered extras last time. I think I replaced the plastic part of the flapper as well because the hinge broke or something. Problems are fewer now that the kids are older and my ex-wife isn't around. She has a habit of breaking everything she touches.
    I have thought about replacing it, but I can't really find a good reason as long as it keeps my food cold, makes ice, and dispenses clean cold filtered water.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Samsung just bites. They are nice looking junk. I have had to repair the fridge 2 or 3 times, you already know about the dishwasher and the range is in need of new caps so we can see the display and the back L burner decides to work correctly when it wants too.

Sad thing is, they were all replaced with TOTL Samsung by the previous homeowner before we bought the house. They look nice but they are all pieces of junk. Absolute junk.

Tom
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,244
    edited May 22
    Options
    When we bought our house it came with a Samsung fridge that was a PITA. Every week I had to defrost the ice maker manually. Eventually we had enough and bought a dual compressor Bosch for a ton of money and it has been flawless. Kitchenaid dishwasher came with the house as well and it’s been pretty good. We hate the Samsung stove that the house has but it ain’t broke, so we havent replaced it yet.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,577
    Options
    Samsung fridges with icemakers always screw up.
    Had a new one freeze up on day one. Sent it back
    after fighting them for a month. Bought something else.
    That was in the last house. Existing Whirlpool came
    With the house. 7 years later it still runs OK.
    New regulations mean that all appliances will soon
    be green and unreliable.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,007
    Options
    New regulations mean that all appliances will soon
    be green and unreliable.
    BINGO!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Christ, don’t get me started with ****-a-nine fridges of today…..
    We’re still using a 1950’s sunbeam stand mixer that refuses to die.