Polk L800 vs Goldenear Triton one.r trying to decide

2»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    I stopped going to Goodwill, yard-sales and pawn shops years ago. I didn't have room, money or health.

Here is what my cottage's surround front speakers were. I still have them but I downsized the front image for some reason. Maybe after I had to remove everything to wire the back room after I built it.

This was a blast to hear. :o

bqlnqzmnkc4h.jpg

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    This was a great read.

Reading his particular review makes me want to upgrade to the TRITON ONE-R model. B)

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/full-review-goldenear-technologys-triton-one-r-tower-speaker.7525/
  • Tony M
    Do you have possession of the Triton OneRs yet?

Tracking #?
  • polkrt3000p
    polkrt3000p Posts: 126
    I just received them yesterday, I had them hold off shipping as I was out on vacation. I really only had a few minutes listening to them. I just wanted to make sure they were working and not damaged. I will get some time to listen to them and maybe I can give an honest opinion on them. So far so good, but nothing really tested just yet. I am really excited to see how I like them, I think they look great, but let's see how they sound. I will post again once I know more.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Congrats, glad they arrived intact with no surprises.
  • Tony M
    B)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    Pictures??

Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,313
    Tony M wrote: »
    syv79ucgvydf.jpg

uuq3za64jqod.jpg

bdarcdrj8lk7.jpg

2lm2j6k2knvb.jpg

we6rsvmss95o.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have a couple of Polk speakers lying around, would you?
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,279
    He wouldn't know what to do with them if he did.......

B)
  • Tony M
    Sandy Gross speakers moved in. :D
  • Tony M
    Have you had a chance to listen to the Triton OneRs and break them in?

• polkrt3000p
    I been gone a lot lately and had only a few opportunities to listen to them. Overall, my first thought is they sound smooth. Bass is good, doesn't blow me out of the water, but good enough to be pleased, as I don't think they sound muddy, which sometimes can happen with powered cabinets. I think the mids and highs are clean, I am fine with them, I am use to a little brighter from the Polks, not that is bad but different. I feel I had to change my treble from 0 to a plus 1on my Sunfire Preamp and feel it is better for my taste, but still pretty smooth. Volume does not distort as I turned it up a bit and I feel they are holding their own. Overall I am happy with them, can't help wonder about the L800s but I made the move and don't feel buyers remorse, as I think they are kind of what I expected for the most part. They are growing on me and feel excited to listen to them each time I get a chance. I can see how there are GE fans out there and Polk Fans for sure.
  • Tony M
    I'm glad there's no buyer's remorse. Maybe the bass will get better the more you break them in.

Do you like their looks?

I know what you're saying about the Polks having an elevated midrange signature sound. With my hearing limits due to lifelong noise wherever I worked, the Polk mids are ok with me. :)

I'm surprised the bass is just ok for you. Is your volume dial set to 50%?

The more I listened to my Ones, the more I realized how balanced and right they sounded.

The better the music, the better the sound they'll project.

Your set HAS to sound better than mine if Goldenear says they improved the model's parts for better results.

Was there a review or in the owner's manual that says your OneRs need some break-in period?

Congrats.
  • polkrt3000p
    edited June 20
    It does say it can take 40-60 hours for break-in. Honestly I have not turned them up a lot I plan to maybe Friday night to play them louder when everyone is gone. I think I have not really pushed them to get them alive just yet. So looking forward to that.
  • polkrt3000p
    I got a chance to spend a couple of hours with them last weekend, and played Pink Floyd, other older 80s music and I must say, I got a chance to get them to come alive. I was impressed, I must say they held their ground and what I through at them. The bass and treble was good, the bass lower end really seemed to come alive. Still left it on the normal 12:00 position. I ended up turning down the treble from the plus 1 to 0 then when I played it loud. It was amazing, I feel confident in them now and looking forward to more time with them. I didn't play any vinyl yet but plan to. I am pleased with the purchase and feel it is great fit for me. I must say they can play loud and the mids, tweets and woofers seem to play at a level more than I would ever normally try and it was clear. It this point I am happy to own them.
  • Tony M
    edited June 26
    It's great to hear that. B)

Amazing sound is what a lot of us have heard.

So thin of a profile but so broad of the sound stage.. ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Super curious to know what your setup would sound like with the L800s...
    I disabled signatures.