HT amplifier question from 68 year old hobbiest!

Options
2»

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,396
    Options
    Another option for space considerations is cylinder subs from SVS. Sure to make a bit of a visual impression as well as an audible one. :D

https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-4000
  • BRBest
    BRBest Posts: 19
    Options
    I did actually. the only one that was truly in my price range (for two) and size was the S1512M, but these are sold out. The EV1513M is phenominal and will take some major alterations to work, and will take me from a $2K price tag to $3k price tag for two of them. The wife is balking at this, but she doesn't understand 1920w RMS, and why I need that much for an extra grand, and modifying her furniture setup! :) So I am still trying to decide just how much I really need versus what I really want.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,141
    edited May 10
    Options
    How are you placing 2 subs in your room.

I am just not understanding the need for 2.

2 subs is 3db louder then one sub.

Most modern room calibration will make a smooth enough response with one properly placed subwoofer of adequate size and power.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BRBest
    Options
    bjo6aal7ouih.jpg

As you can see the space is tight. I am planning on taking the lower doors off of the cabinet towers and puting the subs there. The subs we have discussed will work in these areas. (furniture is going away in order not to block speakers)
  • VR3
    Options
    Imo, assuming getting rid of the entertainment center is not an option

Ditch the rtia9

Pick up a set of R200, then 12 to 18 inch stands and then two subs and place the mains above the subwoofers.

This will exceed the performance of your existing setup.

Run the mains on small 80hz, subs do the rest.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BRBest
    Options
    VR3 - I appreciate your thoughts on this, but remember .............. I am 68 years old, and I was just asking about an amplifier for my system when this started. The whole thing turned into a subwoofer replacement, which I appreciate your opinion on that as well. But at my age I am not getting rid of anything I have, except as you put it earlier, and everyone agreed, my subwoofers are crap. So I will get new ones.

My wife won't change her whole house for this, and I cannot purchase a whole new system either. So I am still on the amp & now sub, things to get or replace.
  • VR3
    Options
    The main issue for me is the cabinets. Can you remove the floor of the cabinets so the subwoofers are not coupled to the cabinet
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,999
    Options
    @BRBest: if you have room on the left side of the cabinet outside of the A9s, one badarse sub would work just fine there. I don't think you need two, especially if you power and run those 9s full range.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BRBest
    Options
    Thanks rooftop59 & VR3. I understand the cabinet theory, and will give up the dual subs for a better single sub. With that change then I will be looking very hard at the Power Sound TV1513, (a little more for the money than the Mono15) which has a range down to 14hz. Thanks VR3 for that suggestion. Thanks for the idea of just shuffling the speakers a little to fit the sub on the left side rooftop!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Yeah, you don't want to place a sub (or subs) inside a cabinet. They will resonate like crazy and drive you bonkers trying to tame it. Is there enough room to place a single sub behind one of the speakers, even if you have to pull the speaker mains out a tad bit more?

Alternatively, could you possibly place the sub behind the L side of the couch (hidden) or on the other side of the room?

One thing to remember, @BRBest. The guys here are fanatics about great sound. Many of us? All we care about is sound. The way a room looks comes in a vast second place to said sound. While the WAF comes into play, some of us don't care because we are lucky enough to have dedicated rooms or a budget/room big enough to make things happen.

I know you already know this....but if the wife ain't happy? Neither are you.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Options
    It looks like the Polk subwoofers are already in place there behind the main speakers. Could just be a simple swap with sealed subs that perform better (SB2000 maybe) and would really be smaller than what's there now.

Get the amp first though.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,652
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Get the amp first though.
    Definitely get the amp first. Being able to run the A9's full range with power should make a big difference.

• Emlyn
    Options
    Given the corner loading of the A9s the current subs may not be doing much to contribute to clean sound when the main speakers get more juice to them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    Options
    Get an amp, run the 9's full range, get an SVS SB4000, be happy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,999
    edited May 15
    Options
    If you can shove it back in that left hand corner, this and you're done with subs!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=44574

Or if you really want two:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=44576
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer