L200, R200 crossover schematic? and tweeter specs?

Options
pkquat
pkquat Posts: 748
edited April 26 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I recently got some L200s on loan with an option to buy. They do sound very good for the most part. (Questions in the 2 channel section).

I read that the L200 and R200 use the same components in this post. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/200086/assembling-a-pair-of-legends
Is this confirmed?

Does anyone have, or drawn up the crossover schematics and have the specs on the tweeter? And what is the diameter of the tweeter bezel on the R200?

The reason I ask is I have some RT5's that IMO have great midrange and ok bass that blends well with my subwoofer. The highs and imaging are not great. I have wished for a better tweeter. I heard the R200 tweeters are roughly $100 each, and am wondering if there is a chance they could be an upgrade.

I have a thought about trying the new woofers since the cabinet is pretty beefy, but I doubt the ports, cabinet size, etc. would be close enough to sound good. I don't want to mess with the legends either. Might as well buy R200s vs. the component costs and crossovers. If there are specs on the woofers it would be interesting to see how close or far apart they are.

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,196
    Options
    Check with anybody who has upgraded the crossover components, like VR3? They may have the schematic sketched out but might not want to publicly share it, to protect Polk. I'm sure Danny Richie has the R200 schematic and maybe if you email him he might give it to you?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,093
    Options
    I won't distribute schematics unless Polk had previously made it public
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    From an online RT5 review.
    The highs are crisp and clean, the midrange is smooth, and bass is tight, though a bit lacking. Opera and classical music sound absolutely incredible on these, ...

Maybe you need to upgrade your crossovers....or just buy the L200's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Options
    I'll see what I can find with schematics. Any confirmations on the L200 and R200 using the same drivers or at least the same tweeter?

I replaced the caps with the same type of electrolytic caps a few years ago hoping for a change. That should have at least got it back to stock. I suppose I could replace the resistor as well. Maybe that is lowering the crossover point? The thought of using the R200 tweeter is more of an interesting project if it is possible. If it did not work, I figure with the potential tips breaking and it sounds like replacement stock running out the experiment might not be much of a loss. I'll add up what better crossover components might cost.

I am familiar with the Stereophile review. I would say the highs on them are rather crisp, but if the music is busy, has a lot of cymbals, distortion guitar, or strong brass and strings I would not call it clean. Vocals sound great and single instruments can sound very good. The strong brass building at the end of the 1812 Overature is all I can think of at the moment as an example where stuff seems to get lost.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,093
    Options
    Drivers same
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.