2.0 and 5.1 setup with separate amp/receiver

Options
Lacrymosa
Lacrymosa Posts: 43
I love to complicate things for myself so I’m back with a question.

This is the gear I have:

Musical Fidelity M5si Integrated Amp
Denon AVR-X1800H

Polk RTi A9 (pair) for stereo
(Plus CSi A6 center, FXi A6 surrounds, and PSW125 Sub) to round out the 5.1 HT

I’m hoping for some advice on if there is anything I can do to keep my A9s powered through the Musical Fidelity as stereo speakers for my turntable (Pro-ject Debut III) but also have the A9s connected to the Denon for my 5.1 setup.

I know you cannot directly connect two amps/receivers to the same speakers, but is there a way I can still use my M5si with the Polks while also having a 5.1 setup with the Denon?

I figure there are 4 options:

1. I get a source switcher so that I can use the Amp and receiver separately (if that works).
2. Get a power amp and connect it to the Denon (which has pre-outs) and use that for both the HT and Stereo and then not use the M5si (☹️)
3. Or is there a way to use the M5si as my power amp connected to the Denon?
4. Or 4th option? Getting a separate pair of speakers for my stereo set up (😏)
5. Something else? Suggestions?

I’m not super knowledgeable on this so am seeking advice from the wise.

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    edited April 21
    Options
    It appears the Aux 1 input on the M5si serves as the Home Theater Bypass input with a switch. And the Denon X1800H has a limited number of preamplifier outputs but it does have outputs for the front stereo outputs.

Hook your turntable up the M5si and any other stereo sources you want to use. Run RCA cables from the receiver to the Aux1 inputs on the M5si for home theater. Run speaker cables to the main stereo speakers only from the M5si. When you want to listen to the sound from movies select the Aux1 input and the M5si amp will power the main stereo speakers. The receiver will power the rest.

There is a convenient hard button on the front panel of the M5si labeled Aux1/HT which serves as the home theater bypass path. Select that to use with the receiver and the Phono button with the turntable.

Here's one rather long-winded example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSiiLdgyiOo
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    Thank you so much! This is perfect, both your explanation and the video are super helpful and exactly what I was looking for!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    Lacrymosa wrote: »
    Thank you so much! This is perfect, both your explanation and the video are super helpful and exactly what I was looking for!

The 1800 does NOT have preouts for anything other than the subs, so you'll need a different receiver to make this work. Lots of options. Here is the cheapest new one. I've owned one of these many moons ago, great little avrs!

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1510/marantz-nr1510-slim-5.2-ch-x-50-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Lacrymosa
    edited April 21
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

The 1800 does NOT have preouts for anything other than the subs, so you'll need a different receiver to make this work. Lots of options. Here is the cheapest new one. I've owned one of these many moons ago, great little avrs!

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1510/marantz-nr1510-slim-5.2-ch-x-50-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html

Thanks for the suggestion, the X1800H does have Front (left and right) and Subwoofer pre-outs, on the North American models. Though I would love an excuse to buy more gear 😂

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion, the X1800H does have Front (left and right) and Subwoofer pre-outs, on the North American models. Though I would love an excuse to buy more gear 😂

Great! None of the pics on any site including American ones show that, interesting. But then you should be good! Enjoy, I know I love my MF integrated!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Lacrymosa
    Options
    xayzmp4x1r4n.png

9igjunsfdbsq.jpeg

Not sure if the pictures will show up. I can’t take a picture of mine as I’m not home this weekend, but this is the back of the X1800H. The X1700H which is this same model but 2 years older doesn’t have the pre-outs, perhaps some sites are using the wrong images? But either way, thanks for the input. I’m looking forward to having a new surround system. Currently I’m using Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers for my HT so this should be a big upgrade for me.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    That's what I see on the rear panel shot on the Crutchfield product listing. It's nice of Denon to include those front stereo pre-outs on that receiver in additional to the dual subwoofer pre-outs. Denon did upgrade their connections to more modern system usage over the last few years when they stopped putting legacy video inputs and outputs on them.