Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
edited April 13 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Picked up a full 5 channel setup of Def Techs from Chicago consisting of:

BP7002 L/R
CLR2500 center
VPX surrounds

Shout-out to @erniejade for the help acquiring the package and @pitdogg2 for looking at a pair of speakers I ultimately passed on.

I’m hoping to upgrade the speakers a bit by:

1. Dynamatting stamped drivers in the L/R/C
2. Upgrading crossovers in the L/R/C, maybe the surrounds
3. Spikes for L/R
4. Build/Buy outriggers for L/R to help make them less likely to tip

I’m not sure how crazy I’m going to go with the crossover upgrades just yet. I have to dig into each speaker and get a idea of the parts.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• EndersShadow
    edited April 13
    Options
    Took the crossover out of the VPX. It appears to be pretty simple so upgrades here might be pretty cheap, if they are even worth doing…

3mmlsj2fcjjt.jpeg
    b92rms769r6m.jpeg
    aitqnvopdt5h.jpeg
    zeebr445h6rb.jpeg

Pulling the BP7002 and CLR 2500 crossovers will take a bit more work so won’t have those done today.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Congrats man! Love my def tech HT setup. Haven't done any upgrades and it still rocks for movies!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 14
    Options
    Yeah they sound great as is but @VR3 convinced me that the xover upgrades are well worth it

I will be acquiring extra drivers/tweeters/amps because I’m paranoid….
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,070
    Options
    Definitive literally, unapologetically uses the cheapest parts inside their speakers. Even Polks cheapest speakers that sell for $100 a pair uses superior parts. Sandy gross just didn't believe in it.

Definitive sounds good out of the box but there is tremendous gains to be had with even the most basic of part upgrades.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    See @rooftop59…. Trey has stoked my curiosity lol….

Just need to get picks of xovers to see what we are working with lol
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    See @rooftop59…. Trey has stoked my curiosity lol….

Just need to get picks of xovers to see what we are working with lol

Oh I believe you! I just have no interest in investing the time or money since it's a theater only system. If I'm gonna do any upgrades it would be to the two channel…

I'll be interested in hearing how it goes!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Understand. I don’t have a “music system” outside my cheap work setup w pro studio monitors, so I figure it’s worth it.

TVs on 75% of the day since both my wife and I work from home lol
  • VR3
    edited April 14
    Options
    Honestly, as a definitive fan, the tweeter is borderline unlistenable with the parts inside. With my in ceiling I changed the caps and resistors in all of the tweeter networks... The sound is much smoother and cleaner and all of the brightness, hash and sibilance is removed.

I used the cmr and 50 watt mills on the tweeter and the clarity csa on the woofers but the in ceiling stuff has silly simple crossovers.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 22
    Options
    Pulled the CLR-2500 apart this morning for pics of the crossover. Did not realize how much interior space was dedicated to the sub. The MTM portion is sealed off from the sub entirely (except for one hole to pass speaker wire through.

Also the sub amp was separated into two parts with the heatsink separate from the backplate and mounted to an internal brace. The amp on this thing is ridiculously complex so it makes sense why they charge 300 (last I heard) to redo them.

Going to try and see if I can get the sub dust outline of the fabric otherwise I might have to have it redone because I'd prefer the sub to not be too obvious.

So now to the pics....

Crossover

fckquxdep9ga.jpeg
    353sbr6nuxgy.jpeg
    0lan4l8zpsfl.jpeg
    625wofo0ovbf.jpeg
    x5skapfuy089.jpeg

Amp

btl164ycqfmu.jpeg
    s3az8dwtk32o.jpeg
    bkszfsnadvjs.jpeg
    h0lbu1dx5rw1.jpeg
    ivwt8rcu4odz.jpeg
    0kqhrdgzsrk8.jpeg
    xqxfv1f3a320.jpeg
    i4v4adri2p21.jpeg
    0mf06ovusn80.jpeg
    qxcnir190fee.jpeg
    aalt2eg64tdz.jpeg
    m555bq4q13vn.jpeg

The rest

zr1m5mgp0ny3.jpeg
    v6zp3egdwiw1.jpeg
    dyqab7fmpiym.jpeg
    Post edited by EndersShadow on
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 22
    Options
    Some other stuff I did since I last posted:

1. Emailed Definitive to see if they had service schematics for these they would be willing to share. Since the company has changed hands and these are old in the tooth I'm not holding out my breath.
    2. Purchased 2 BP7002 crossovers to use I can use those for the mods so I wont be down speakers when the crossovers are being modded. That also will leave me with backups to swap in or keep as backups.
    3. Tracked down any kind of documentation I can find for these online (owners manuals, brochures, etc)
    4. Started putting together a list of the crossover values for each speaker. The BP7002 crossover pictures gave me almost all the values I needed, so I'm pretty close.

Things to track down over time because this stuff is only going to get harder to find:

1. Spare working amps for the BP7002 and CLR-2500
    2. Spare CLR-2500 crossover
    3. Top plates for BP7002. I found some but nothing thats in good enough condition so for now have passed on all of them
    4. BP-X crossovers (so I can have stock and modded/spares)
    5. Extra mid, tweeter, sub drivers for the BP-7002, CLR-2500, BP-X
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    BP7002 crossover

2uezy5xw5a5g.jpeg

p2jtsqfgxrm2.jpeg

3rd7ev7qm9us.jpeg

h9o5wt24pd7t.jpeg

wnx9pdcxiqvz.jpeg

72lhpw6cq9cx.jpeg

hn59635fdxd4.jpeg
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 28
    Options
    e9ae1cezxn01.jpeg

1a7qy5vrqstx.jpeg

jubwobgf8boc.jpeg
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 28
    Options
    Here are the crossover values best I can tell (I know nothing on this so posting what the parts say). @VR3 any suggestions for these?

koi1jda378dn.png

I see a lot of duplicate part values for the speakers.

03g0wh50bgv3.png

• VR3
    Options
    Just depends on the location within the circuits on what to suggest to maximize performance and budget.

Most likely one or two of those iron cores going to an air coil could yield large benefits. Just tough to make suggestions without knowing the schematic
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Working on getting a schematic but not sure if I will get one.

Def Tech support DOES still repair the amps on the BP7002 and CLR-2500, AND has the schematics for them. However it’s unclear if they give me the schematics if it means I CANT send in the amps for service at a later date.

They DONT have a BPX schematic
  • VR3
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't worry about updating the surrounds
  • EndersShadow
    edited April 28
    Options
    Was thinking they’d be last, if at all.

If I list what each of the colors attaches to speaker wise would that get you what you need?
  • VR3
    Options
    No to many parts to know which goes where
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    No to many parts to know which goes where

If I sent you the crossover would you be able to map it out (at least the BP7002)
  • VR3
    Options
    Send me what you have and will see what we can figure out. We can always trace the circuit if definitive won't share