New (to me) Tube Amps

Options
dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,055
edited April 3 in The Clubhouse
After nearly 10 years since selling my Anthem Amp 1, tubes are back in my life in a big way. Huge thanks to @nooshinjohn who bent over backwards to make a deal happen for me while I was still in the throws of having my newborn in the NICU.

John tipped me off that a pair of Carver Crimson Beauty 350 tube mono blocks was available but I originally decided to pass on them. 2 reasons. I had too much on my plate at the time and I was honestly considering which upgrade (replacing my Sunfire Signature Grande 5x400 or Pass Labs X1 pre amp would give me the most bang for my buck. John's recent conversion from the church of Pass Labs to the church of McIntosh had me wondering.......

John decided to reach out to the seller and negotiated an absolute steal that I couldnt resist. He also went and picked them up for me and gave them a good cleaning.

My daugher and I drove up to John's on Monday to pick them up. While there, we enjoyed listening to his L800s. John has found true synergy with the combination of the Moon DAC and McIntosh Pre. The result is a level of detail and satisfying bass that is absolutely stunning.

After a 3 hour drive home through LA rush hour traffic, I had just enough time before bed to get the amps situated, fine tune the bias and hook up a pair of vintage Monitor 4 bookies for a short test drive. I decided to test them out on a less expensive set of speakers first before trusting them with the 1.2TLs. The sound was phenomenal. Ive never heard those bookies sound so good.

The next day, I hooked up the 1.2TLs and WOW. The Carver mono blocks up the level of detail and precise positioning of instruments and add a pleasant level of tube musicality. The amps have a vast reservoir of power that I will never fully utilize.

Next on the list is trying out various speaker cables to find the new synergy for my system.

Thanks again @nooshinjohn for helping me get these and for you and Nooshin's hospitality Monday.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,055
    Options
    1kg5vlboi92g.jpeg

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,111
    Options
    You are most welcome Doug. It is always a pleasure to hang out with you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    A great story of how Club Polk friendships make good audio-related things happen. Congrats on the new amps!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Congratulations on your new amplifiers! There's just something about the sound of a good tube amp.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    Nice setup man!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    Options
    Sweet story and setup
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.