Panasonic DP-UB9000 BRP

Options
Geoff4rfc
Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
Who else owns this player, and are you experiencing the "cannot read disc" on various 4K discs?

I have the current 1.76 firmware version loaded.

Is this thing now a boat anchor???
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,385
    Options
    You might try cleaning the laser...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,376
    edited April 2
    Options
    Have you tried wiping the discs? I noticed an oily looking sheen on one fresh out of the case a while back that was causing playback issues. No problems after cleaning the disc. Some residue may come from the plastic case off-gassing or from the manufacturing process. The skipping and freezing can happen with any player. If a disc has a significant scratch on it the error correction may not be able to allow the disc to track properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPDvxc77M4k
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You might try cleaning the laser...

Tom

I used Digital Innovations CleanDr disc to try and clean the laser. Ran it three times but no improvement.
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Have you tried wiping the discs? I noticed an oily looking sheen on one fresh out of the case a while back that was causing playback issues. No problems after cleaning the disc. Some residue may come from the plastic case off-gassing or from the manufacturing process. The skipping and freezing can happen with any player. If a disc has a significant scratch on it the error correction may not be able to allow the disc to track properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPDvxc77M4k

Yes sir, I check every disc before loading it by habit.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    I wash my discs between my hands with warm water and a dash of Dawn, dry with a old cloth diaper. Ga'head make fun of me😜
    So yes I try washing and the laser lens "cleaner". Most time one or both work. I've not used your player so I cannot say whether or not you are having laser issues.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    The error msg I get is this: Cannot read. Please check the disc

• Emlyn
    Options
    The only other "trick" I've heard of is to run the video straight from the player to the TV to see if the disc will load properly and play back on the TV by itself. I think the UB9000 has separate dual Video+Audio and Audio HDMI outputs.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Uggg, it's so messed up. It'll play a lot of my 4K discs but, not read a lot more. And then, out of the blue, it'll decide to read one it's been "pretending" NOT to.....so frustrating.

And what REALLY sucks more than anything, I have the Oppo 103, which still works flawlessly on all blu rays, but when I was finally in the market for a 4K player, Oppo had already folded their tents.

If anyone knows of someone trying to let go of an Oppo 203 without trying to get rich on it like the ones on ebay and amazon, almost three times the original MSRP, please consider me.....

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    The Digital Innovations CleanDr disc and the like are worthless. The only way to properly clean the lens is with denatured alcohol. Use a Q-tip damp (not dripping wet) with DA and lightly rub the lens.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Geoff4rfc
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Digital Innovations CleanDr disc and the like are worthless. The only way to properly clean the lens is with denatured alcohol. Use a Q-tip damp (not dripping wet) with DA and lightly rub the lens.

plz6umx7djtn.png

• Emlyn
    edited April 4
    Options
    I think the 90 day labor warranty on an $1100 disc spinner says something about the reliability experience Panasonic has with the product. One option is to get the next lower model from Best Buy and get the 4 year extended warranty along with it for under $500. The video section is the same.

The only other option is the Sony 800M2 model for less. Since all my TV sets are Sony, if I was in the market, I'd get the Sony and be surprised if it last two years. Not that it means all that much, apart from Sony standing behind their products better, but the Sony seems to have a 1 year parts/labor warranty. An extended warranty wouldn't kick in until after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I think the 90 day labor warranty on an $1100 disc spinner says something about the reliability experience Panasonic has with the product. One option is to get the next lower model from Best Buy and get the 4 year extended warranty along with it for under $500. The video section is the same.

The only other option is the Sony 800M2 model for less. Since all my TV sets are Sony, if I was in the market, I'd get the Sony and be surprised if it last two years. Not that it means all that much, apart from Sony standing behind their products better, but the Sony seems to have a 1 year parts/labor warranty. An extended warranty wouldn't kick in until after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

I have two Sonys (in my sig) that I bought used and have had for 4+ years, and are both still kickin. Indefinitely think at this point that if you want a good spinner for tunes, get two separate players.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited April 4
    Options
    That sucks. In my experience, once the reading gets erratic like this, it is a bad laser or something in the circuit board. I have never had luck with cleaning the laser head (just a lens really). Your experience might be different if you have a dirty air environment from smoking, off-gassing of new furniture or carpet, etc. Its worth a try, but don't get your hopes up.
    This is why I only spent $200 on my lower end Panny UB420 4K player. These things just don't last anymore.
    Edit: Looking at the "drive" unit, I don't think cleaning the laser by hand with alcohol would be possible since it may be a sealed unit. Maybe there is a way, but you'd probably be on your own with no Youtube help.
    Looks like you can get a replacement "drive" unit for about $235 for that. Apparently it is somewhat easy to replace.
    https://encompass.com/item/12278864/Panasonic/TXP0036/
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...