Need guidance on my SDA SRS 1.2s

Hello all,
I have been trolling this site for a long time and I'm ready to jump in. As a teenager I saw the SDA SRS 1.2 speakers in a mag and knew one day I would have to have them. Fast forward almost 40 years I have been sitting on a pair for the last 4 years. I thought I would have a new house built by now to enjoy them but it hasn't happend yet. I don't want to wait any longer and am using my sons old room for these speakers. Mind you I consider myself new to the adiophile world but I'm not a total noob....
I have read hours and hours of posts and have a great idea on what I need to do in order to mod/upgrade these speakers. I am afraid of electronics so I will have someone take care of the boards/wires but everthing else I can do including restoring the exterior wood finish. My main question for now is what am to use for power? I am still confused on this and I know there isn't one difinitive answer. I would like my best options on current linear amps/power amps along with vintage amps. I have a huge record collection that I would like to spend the rest of my life listening to. I'm willing to spend around 5k if need be but of course saving $ is always great. A local store recommended the luxman L-505uXII. My concern is does this have enough power and is it common ground? Almost all of the posts say to get at least 200 watts per channel but I also understand more power doesn't always mean better. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and I have more questions but one at a time seems fair.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,210
    Luxman makes good stuff and that may do it, buuuut I'm like you, I'd want more.
    Your budget could a damn nice Parasound amp and many other amps that could almost double the power into 4 ohms.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,281
    Almost all of the posts say to get at least 200 watts per channel
    They do? Other than the mantra of one that's news to me.

That Luxman is a fine piece of kit, but I'm going to suggest looking at the integrated amps from Musical Fidelity.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tonofuns
    Tonofuns Posts: 2
    F1nut I appreciate your candor and expertise and always read your posts and appreciate your knowledge.
    I should have worded my sentence differently. Many of the posts that I have read on the subject of powering the SDA SRS speakers seem to me to make sure to have more power than not enough. They seem to require quite a bit of power and I'm just seeking for advice on how much is required and how much would be ideal.
    I know this can be very subjective but any advice is better than none. I see many amps ranging from 100-500 watts per channel at 8 ohms but I also understand that not all of these are created equally. A top end 100 watt amp might be much more powerfull than a poorly built 400 watt amp. As for finding a common ground amp I guess I will have to ask the dealer or manufacturer because I can't seem to find that listed on the spec pages. I was hoping to hear back from fellow SDA SRS owners on what they are using and I then can educate myself on their setup. I do appreciate your suggestion on Musical Fidelity and they seem to be solid.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,791
    I wouldn't focus solely on the watts, these SDA's enjoy amps, as in current (amperes).

With your budget, there should be no problem reaching a quite happy listening experience. The MF gear is good stuff, and I'm sure others will chime in on other ideas.

Good luck with your journey.