Sennheiser IE200

Options
Dr_Wu
Dr_Wu Posts: 306
@Clipdat was good enough to respond to my post about powering in-ear monitors. HIs reassurance about the output of my AQ Dragonfly Cobalt DAC (2.1V) turned out to be spot on.

Yesterday, I received and immediately put to use a pair of Sennheiser IE200 I had ordered direct from Sennheiser (currently $99 w/free shipping). Figured it a reasonable cost to evaluate them for improvement over a cheap pair of hifiman earbuds I had been using. Cheap as those were, I have come to appreciate the detail an in-ear device delivers to my aging ears :)

So far, I've used the IE200s with the Dragonfly plugged into a USB slot on my computer, and iPad (via Apple's camera adapter), both streaming Qobuz. The IE200s are wired, not wifi, as everything I've read suggests this provides best SQ.

Due no doubt to my concert-going experiences, hearing all the words in sung lyrics can be challenging at times. In-ear devices help immensely, but in my opinion, at the expense of being overly detailed, harsh-sounding, and somewhat fatiguing. Comfort is also an issue, but the available range of ear tip materials and sizes mostly resolves this.

Cutting to the chase, I'm finding the IE200s to be a delightful, ear-to-ear grinning, pleasure to listen to. Fantastic detail yet wonderfully musical, and not at all fatiguing. Plenty of bass, contrary to some reviews I've read. Extremely comfortable to wear for hours. The supplied braided cable's fabric sheathing is quiet when you move. It is cliche but true, I'm hearing more of everything: lyrics, vocal nuances, percussion, and instrument artifact. Very alive, and pleasingly so.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Very nice.

I've been very much enjoying, as well, the IEMs that @Keiko got me turned on to in his threads about his IEM discoveries.

I haven't yet read about IEMs vs. earbuds, but the IEMs I'm using isolate better than my previous favorite, the ZAGG Smartbuds, and they have a low and flat profile, which lets the body fit flatter in the ear. That they stick out less them less prone to catching wind, creating loud and transmissible wind noise. They're also more comfortable to wear with a knit hat.

My use of IEMs is more limited to listenIng to music while being active, or mobile, out and about. I use mine with an older iPhone and Spotify, mostly. I really enjoy them.

I disabled signatures.