Led Zeppelin remasters worth owning

Options
muncybob
muncybob Posts: 2,973
Years ago I received a 4 CD box set remastered by Jimmy Page & George Marino. I was never thrilled about the sound and just recently I tried them again on my fairly new L600 speakers and they sound awful to me. Couldn't even finish a single disc, lack of low end and the highs are grating to my ears. Makes me think this was a money grab by JP.

Anyhow, what remasters do you own or have heard that are worth buying?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    I've always thought the remasters by Zeppelin could have been much better had someone with better hearing than Jimmy Page sat in the seat.....
    I've found the originals to be the best so far.

Personally I steer clear of "remasters", I've found in my experience they may be louder but they loose most of the dynamics of the music.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Probably referring to the early '90s remasters Marino was involved in. Most are notoriously thin and harsh sounding on a good system with the volume turned up.

I have no issues with the much more recent HD remasters. But there's only so much that can be done with Led Zeppelin recordings. They're supposed to be raw sounding.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Probably referring to the early '90s remasters Marino was involved in. Most are notoriously thin and harsh sounding on a good system with the volume turned up.

I have no issues with the much more recent HD remasters. But there's only so much that can be done with Led Zeppelin recordings. They're supposed to be raw sounding.

d6fby32semuh.png
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    The 80's are the way to go IMHO. (especially HotH)

If you are a completest the expanded versions may hold some
    interest. (ala CODA 3 CD set)

"I have no issues with the much more recent HD remasters."
    I got the HD of LZ II and it is great. The think it bests the 80's II
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    p3yy0qd0cj0l.jpg

I bought this set from Rhino when it first came out in 2011. I've listened to only one of it's CD's, many years ago. I have so much else to listen to. How does this collection rate?

I have still have most of the original Zep LP's. I usually prefer vinyl.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    The deluxe editions of each release sound great to me. Plus you get a bonus disc of outtakes and or live tunes.

I stream the deluxe remasters over Qobuz and they sound great.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    The Classic Records vinyl remasters are very good.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    edited March 6
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    p3yy0qd0cj0l.jpg
    I have so much else to listen to. How does this collection rate?

I have still have most of the original Zep LP's. I usually prefer vinyl.

I think that collection is the Marino/Page masters.
    If you listen and like them you are all set. Zep on vinyl is the way to go for me as well.

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    While I would like to have them on records, it seems their best "stuff" is a bit expensive. So I guess I'll be looking at the cd offerings. I really thought I had some old records in decent shape but I played them to death on crappy equipment and now it really shows.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    The best remasters I’ve heard is the Classic Records version. If you can find them they aren’t cheap, but damn worth the price.
    When they announced them I made sure to get the set.
    Only opened one to try and damn, it is sweet.