Anyone feel like helping me learn what is wrong with a set of RT800I speakers?

Options
mikeroxie
mikeroxie Posts: 9
I recently bought a "very" used set of RT800I speakers only to find they simply do not function properly. Could someone walk me through tests to determine if the drivers are indeed blown etc? I know just enough to be dangerous so thought I'd reach out for some knowledge. Many thanks ...

Answers

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome! Your speaker has components that produce high frequency sounds called "tweeters". And components that produce middle and bass sounds called "drivers" or "woofers". Usually one or more of these become damaged and need to be replaced. Can you describe what you are hearing?
  • mikeroxie
    Options
    Sure and thanks. I'm hearing highs with minimal mid range. No lows whatsoever. I even tried an easy out by swapping in a used crossover thinking it might be the issue. But it produced no change. The odd thing is that both speakers are the same so I wonder if they are indeed suffering from abused drivers.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Are you using a jumper plates or jumpers in-between the speaker posts? They look like this...

v7x707qka19v.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mikeroxie
    Options
    I am using the factory jumpers (as shown).
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    To test the drivers you can remove them from the cabinet, disconnect the two wires (make a drawing of which wires connect to the driver's terminals). Then at a very low playing volume attach wires from your receiver to each driver's terminals.There should be sound with just a small amount of power.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited March 4
    Options
    Post a photo of how you have them connected and a photo of the fronts without the grills on. Also, a photo of the crossover you pulled out of the one speaker.

What are you powering them with?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeroxie
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed answer ... I'm dealing with some crazy stuff lately.

pgk0cy1uejgc.jpg
    6sj8l3zbp8fy.jpg
    c65knuwrqj7e.jpg
    x0qku6kh5ow6.jpg

I'm wanting to use my older Sony GX67ES receiver for a home office system. It's working fine (with other speakers) and I also tested with another receiver first (Nakamichi RE2) resulting in the same issue.

If I remove the (2) large drivers (mid/bass ?) and hook them direct I do get sound but it's weak and akin to a cheap am type radio speaker. (remember those days?) Both are the same when played individually. Connected to the factory wiring (through the crossover assembly) they play but even weaker. Make any sense?

The new crossover I tried is a used Polk unit out of the same speakers. (it is the same P/N)

Is there a way to check with a meter to see if the voice coil or such is wasted? What should I look for ?

• F1nut
    Options
    Is that resistor cracked or is that glue residue across the top?

Do you have a Volt/Ohm meter?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Is the other speaker sounding the same? It's difficult (but not impossible) for a driver to produce less sound than it's supposed to. Most of the time it's either not making any sound at all (broken voice coil) or distorted sound (rubbing voice coil). But, playing at a lower volume is harder to explain. Are the drivers in the other cabinet sounding the same?
  • mikeroxie
    Options
    It appears to have a bit residue on it.

Yes, I do have meter.

And yes, the other cabinet sounded the same when I brought them home. It's not been opened yet since they both sounded so messed up.
  • F1nut
    edited March 6
    Options
    Ok, after marking which wire goes where disconnect the drivers and measure ohms at the connection tabs on the drivers. What reading do you get?

Using evenly spread out fingers on the cone push it in and let it return. Do this a number of times. Does the cone move freely? Do you hear a scraping sound?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    What does the other side of the crossover look like? Do you see any dark/burnt resistors? Any bulging/leaking caps?

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Options
    Take an ohm measurement at the binding posts of each speaker and tell us what they both read please.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    Options
    Side note: push the Source Direct button in on the Sony, you'll get a much better/cleaner sound. Tone controls are evil.

President of Club Polk

• mikeroxie
    Options
    OK. I'm showing 1.9 on each driver. The fun begins on the movement. Both are tight as heck. There is virtually zero movement other than a bit of flex on the cone face itself. I went and felt for the same on a Polk center channel I have and sure enough it moves a good bit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    They should move freely with no grinding or scraping of any kind. They should not be tight. Have you tried the battery test yet or done any of the tests @SeleniumFalcon suggested yet?

Tom
  • mikeroxie
    Options
    I'm unsure of the proper battery test ... but I did try "popping" it with a D cell and short section of wire. It crackles and does not move the cone a bit. Adequate?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    They are toast.
  • F1nut
    edited March 6
    Options
    mikeroxie wrote: »
    OK. I'm showing 1.9 on each driver. The fun begins on the movement. Both are tight as heck. There is virtually zero movement other than a bit of flex on the cone face itself. I went and felt for the same on a Polk center channel I have and sure enough it moves a good bit.

Your drivers are bad. You might check eBay for replacements. No further testing needed.

Edit: I see Ivan beat me to it...yes, toast.

President of Club Polk

• mikeroxie
    Options
    Boo hiss ... and here I sit with no strawberry jam. Well darn. Another lesson of buyer beware ... you'd think I'd learn but for some reason I expect people to look me in the eye and be truthful. Sigh.
  • mikeroxie
    Options
    Thanks all for the great help !!! I appreciate it. Now it's time to rethink the office tunes.