Blackstone Labs for the win!

Options
audioluvr
audioluvr Posts: 5,455
I've been using Blackstone Labs for decades on my oil analysis. When I was developing my WVO system on my diesel vehicles, I was concerned about how it would affect the engine oil performance. At one point I got up to 12,000 miles between oil changes on a Cummins powered truck running WVO with little degradation. This confirmed my theory that when the IC engine was being lubricated from both sides of the piston ring, the crankcase oil was not working as hard.

Now I hardly ever drive my truck, accumulating maybe 500 miles a year, but I still maintain the 6,500 miles oil change interval. One of my most recent samples was 8 years old and was probably used in this study.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/motor-oil-age-doesnt-matter-as-much-as-mileage-study
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    That's great to know. Being retired I rarely drive my truck now and was wondering about oil changes. I'm thinking the same thing should apply to other engines as well. My snowblower has been mothballed due to the mild winters and my bike doesn't get ridden much anymore either. Sounds like oil deterioration is more about useage as opposed to extended periods of storage.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Yep, with modern synthetics age related degradation is not really much of a concern.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    edited March 1
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yep, with modern synthetics age related degradation is not really much of a concern.

Synthetic or not that oil was in the ground for a LOOOOOOOOOOOG time before we pumped out.
    Synthetic oil still needs a "base" oil. It's not like they just whip up a bunch of hydrocarbon molecules in a beaker and beat it with a blender....
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    edited March 1
    Options
    I'm running AMSOIL Signature Series, good stuff.

Good site/forum for oil discussion: https://bobistheoilguy.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    I thought this was a dog thread.

I'm out. :'(
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    Audioluvr were you ever a member of the TDR ? just curious. Great times there. Thanks
  • audioluvr
    edited March 1
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Synthetic or not that oil was in the ground for a LOOOOOOOOOOOG time before we pumped out.
    Yes. My study was with conventional oil.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    ... It's not like they just whip up a bunch of hydrocarbon molecules in a beaker and beat it with a blender....

Actually I think that's exactly how they do it 🤣
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Audioluvr were you ever a member of the TDR ? just curious. Great times there. Thanks

TDR? Turbo Diesel Rednecks? No. I'm a hillbilly. Not a redneck...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,110
    Options
    kagwrzlqlwmo.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    Options
    kagwrzlqlwmo.jpeg

Wow! That ones nice too!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC