Apple TV+ Sucks

Options
It's irritating that all the streaming services out there who want you sign up for everything under the sun to see "new" movies/series. I have to wonder how many subscriptions people have. We have one, Netflix (mostly for the wife).

Eventually new movies/series come out on DVD/Blue Ray but not with Apple evidently. I did see Greyhound back when one of my kids had an Apple subscription but they no longer have it and I'm not getting it. Recently I was elated that they did release it. After further investigation I realized most are bootlegs (Ebay Blue ray) and the DVD on Amazon doesn't seem credible either. What a let down after almost 4 years!

Now they have Masters of the Air, unfortunately. I have Band of Brothers/The Pacific on disc and would really like Greyhound/Masters of the Air. However, seemingly, Apple doesn't let things release on physical media after reading more on the topic. What the heck? It's been almost 4 years since Greyhound came out. So..., guess I'll never see Masters of the Air. What a let down. What is Apples problem? I realize streaming is a big money maker but don't they realize that they will still make money on physical media releases after a couple of years when almost everyone has seen the movies/series already? Good thing I do have physical media.

So, in short, Apple TV+ sucks, period. End of rant...
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,028
    Options
    You know you can (for now) sign up for one month and cancel, right? No, you won’t own it, so if that’s your quibble it’s not gonna change. But you can see it for very little investment.

    As a side note, I find it hilarious that all you hardcore free market capitalists get peeved when the free market doesn’t do what you want it to do…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

    Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 379
    Options
    Yeah man, sorry if you love physical media… but if your goal is just to watch it it’s not going to break the bank to get Apple TV+ for one month, and then cancel after you watch it.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,009
    edited January 30
    Options
    Yeah… okay… so… Apple TV+ is a streaming service. And you are complaining that they stream? 😳

    I’ll just mention in passing that Netflix, which is a 245 billion dollar company, was founded on mailing out discs to people. But they don’t mail out discs anymore. So they too are ONLY a streaming service going forward.

    Discs are dead buddy. 🪦 ☠️ ⚰️

    It is what it is.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,009
    Options
    I’ll just add that cancelling some streaming services is extremely simple on Apple TV+, including the TV+ service itself. This is true of Disney+, Paramount+, F1 TV, EPIX (MGM+), Peacock, and others. You just go into settings on your device, and the subscription is right there. It takes one click to cancel, and one click to re-enable.

    Others, such as Netflix or SlingTV make you maintain a separate account on their website, sign in to that website, and jump through the hoops to cancel. If they’re like Sirius XM, they’ll even make you call to cancel.

    Give me the one device, one click sign up and cancellation process any day.

    All the services I get through Apple TV+ also broadcast in 4K with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision, so you get true 5.1 or better, if your system is set up for that capability. Some others are limited to 2.1 and compressed video quality.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,430
    Options
    It's all about owning exclusive content these days that Apple has paid to be produced and then using that content to monetize viewers. If they didn't have exclusives they wouldn't have anything to draw people to their service. Unlike their competitors they have very little library depth because they don't directly own decades of content that was produced and distributed by the old line movie and TV studios.

    One annoying and unnecessary thing I have seen in the last few years is that shows on premium cable/streaming services do release content on physical media but it's only on DVD and not Blu-Ray or 4K. Ray Donovan on Showtime is one example that had the first season or two on Blu Ray but just DVD releases after that. Why even bother? Maybe they think releasing stuff only on DVD will draw in subscribers for the better version that's streaming online and they can always release a Blu Ray version years later to cash in even more.

    HBO has been good about selling their content to physical media buyers in high resolution formats.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,466
    Options
    I get all the comments understandably but how many of us/you gave up all your CD's, vinyl or whatever else with music? I know some have since you can just "stream" it. Well, streaming music doesn't seem to be for me. I have a decent system and don't want to spend however many hundreds/thousands of dollars to get where I am already. I have a streamer, cost me a couple hundred bucks, and it's worse for music. All I use it for is background music when cleaning the house. Where movies are concerned I might watch one several years later, just because. I purchase the ones I really like, or are more fact than fiction. I know some streaming platforms have pulled shows/movies and since they own the rights, that's it. Unless you have the physical media you're SOL. Whatever I guess, thought someone else might feel the same way!🤪
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,009
    Options
    You’re not wrong. Point taken.

    I just realize that I have access to so much more music and so many more movies now that I could ever dream of buying to own a physical media library. On the music front, I also find that I discover far more new music through Apple Music suggestions than I ever would have discovered on my own.

    Is the quality perfect? I have no idea. Is it good? Yes. Yes it is.

    The added advantage of ease of access and ease of use, including when traveling anywhere in the world, is simply unparalleled, and I could never go back to physical media. It’s just too limiting. I might as well hope to ditch digital maps on my phone for a paper map.
    Alea jacta est!
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,466
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    You know you can (for now) sign up for one month and cancel, right? No, you won’t own it, so if that’s your quibble it’s not gonna change. But you can see it for very little investment.

    As a side note, I find it hilarious that all you hardcore free market capitalists get peeved when the free market doesn’t do what you want it to do…

    Since I don't know you from Adam guess you don't know my exact politics. Interesting you brought it up though, as a side note...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,927
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I get all the comments understandably but how many of us/you gave up all your CD's, vinyl or whatever else with music? I know some have since you can just "stream" it. Well, streaming music doesn't seem to be for me. I have a decent system and don't want to spend however many hundreds/thousands of dollars to get where I am already. I have a streamer, cost me a couple hundred bucks, and it's worse for music. All I use it for is background music when cleaning the house. Where movies are concerned I might watch one several years later, just because. I purchase the ones I really like, or are more fact than fiction. I know some streaming platforms have pulled shows/movies and since they own the rights, that's it. Unless you have the physical media you're SOL. Whatever I guess, thought someone else might feel the same way!🤪
    I'm right there with you. Physical media for me all the way.

  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,841
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm right there with you. Physical media for me all the way.

    ugp5krl31r1i.jpg
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,145
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I realize streaming is a big money maker but don't they realize that they will still make money on physical media releases after a couple of years when almost everyone has seen the movies/series already?

    Will they though? You know Apple’s owned media can be played back on your iPhone, iPad, via your Apple TV streaming device. But they don’t make a DVD or Blueray Player. I think there’s a reason for that.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,466
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm right there with you. Physical media for me all the way.

    ugp5krl31r1i.jpg

    Oooh, rest in peace Olivia, dang, I had the biggest crush on her. I don't have Apple products, just gives me another reason not to own any. Guess I really am part of the "old guard". How did that happen? I happen to like paper maps. Especially when I'm riding in the middle of nowhere and there is no cell coverage...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,009
    Options
    If you don’t have Apple products, that would definitely limit the appeal of TV+ (and an Apple TV).

    In that case, it might make more sense to get a Roku or a “smart TV” with the TV+ app as part of their software suite. You can use TV+ when you want it, but you don’t need to have an Apple TV device.
    Alea jacta est!