What do I need to do hook these up for sound via a new turntable?

Options
e0bfwyop9v64.jpeg
kmpqp0a0lylk.jpeg

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Little benny will be along shortly to answer all your questions.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tsm0408
    tsm0408 Posts: 16
    Options
    I ordered a tuner after figuring out what I needed.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, little benny seems to be running late, so you need a receiver with a phono input or an integrated amplifier with a phono input. A tuner is for AM/FM radio, it will not allow you to play vinyl.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tsm0408
    Options
    Yep…. I got a Amp/tuner…. I used to know all this, just had to think about it again. Glad I kept these speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited January 30
    Options
    I do hope you got a reasonably beefy amp/tuner ("receiver") for those RTA 12B "Monitors". They will appreciate the availability of fairly copious amounts of power.
    Also, what sort of cartridge does your turntable have? Your receiver needs to have the right gain and load characteristics for your cartridge. You're probably fine, i.e., your cartridge is probably a typical moving magnet or moving iron (so called "magnetic") type, with output of a few millivolts, but if you happen to have a low output moving coil ("LOMC") cartridge, you might have an issue. :|

32826378970_c1e1f9cbbc_b.jpg
    32364715064_6c386ed094_b.jpg
  • tsm0408
    Options
    My Sony STRDH190 2-ch Home Stereo Receiver with Phono Inputs will be here tomorrow. I haven’t purchased a turntable just yet.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I'll tell you right now that thing isn't worth the sheet metal enclosure it comes in.

Will it make sound come out of the speakers, sure. Will it sound good? I doubt it.
  • tsm0408
    Options
    What would you recommend?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    It really depends on your budget.

I just don't want you to hook up that cheap Sony and think that this is as good as the speakers could sound.

Hopefully you bought it from somewhere with a liberal return policy, if it doesn't meet your requirements.
  • tsm0408
    Options
    I want something that sounds good. I can spend whatever. All I will do is play music on this system (via radio, Bluetooth, Vinyl)…
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well, technically it will make music.

But yeah give it a try, just be very careful with the volume knob as it really doesn't have a whole lot of power reserves at all. It's basically a toy, hate to say it.
  • tsm0408
    Options
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    BTW, @tsm0408....please allow us to offer you a very warm welcome to Club Polk.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tsm0408
    Options
    Thank you Tom…
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    tsm0408 wrote: »
    I want something that sounds good. I can spend whatever. All I will do is play music on this system (via radio, Bluetooth, Vinyl)…
    You have come to the right place :) Get ready to open your wallet, BUT know that the advice you get here will be solid. I echo Tom's welcome!

Good on you for keeping those Monitor 12 speakers...at least I think that's the model they are. Did you keep all your vinyl albums as well?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tsm0408
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, they are L12B’s. Can’t wait to hook them up tomorrow. I’ve moved so many times, the Vinyls are long gone.

I’ll be shopping for Vinyls for the near future.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The plural of vinyl is vinyl.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it's vinyl's.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I'm sure. So are these guys.
    m18epxa7o6vw.png

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    edited January 31
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, they are L12B’s. Can’t wait to hook them up tomorrow. I’ve moved so many times, the Vinyls are long gone.

I’ll be shopping for Vinyls for the near future.

RTA 12B (RTA 12Bs?), as I see mhardy already said. One is marked as L (Left) and the other R (Right). Or at least you should have the other one marked R. Could be easily fixed if not.

You might consider reverting to the Peerless Tweeter. I doubt they changed the crossover when they went to the SL1000, which they were forced to do when Peerless stopped making the KO10DT tweeter sometime in 1983. We can verify that your crossover is the same first.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • tsm0408
    Options
    I just looked, the other speaker is mark R. I wouldn’t have any idea on I would “revert” but I could research it.

Thanks for the information!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    edited January 31
    Options
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • tsm0408
    Options
    Perhaps this is over kill for two speakers to listen to recreationally to music with my wife while enjoying a fire in my fire place?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Perhaps this is over kill for two speakers to listen to recreationally to music with my wife while enjoying a fire in my fire place?

Nope. Not at all.
    B)

In fact, and in seriousness, they should sound nice at low/background levels and really nice at higher levels. As others have noted, the little Sony won't have the cojones to exhibit the capabilities of those loudspeakers, but it should sound perfectly decent if a bit "thin".

What are you thinking about vis-a-vis a turntable @tsm0408?

Oh, and kudos to @treitz3 for actually sayin' hi and welcoming you! :# Apologies for not doing the same (where are my manners?)
    He's a good lad, he is.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options

Both of those amps are designed to power two speakers purely for listening at home. The sky is the limit in the land of audiophiles!

But yes, those are absolutely over kill for your interest, lol
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Oh, and I almost forgot: With all due respect to @F1nut, the plural of vinyl... is more vinyl.
    B);)

52683333008_d1eac8f6e3_b.jpg
  • tsm0408
    Options
    @mhardy6647,

I haven’t decided on the turntable yet.
  • tsm0408
    Options
    @Clipdat, after reading more, I see your point about the Amp arriving today.

I’m going to do more research on an amp with a higher power output.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    So did you try it out?
  • tsm0408
    Options
    I did and they sounded great, it’s been 30 years since I’ve heard them.

I also felt like they had more untapped potential.

I can’t wait to try some of the recommended upgrades shared in this discussion.

Thanks for asking.